Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ben Fogle New Lives in the Wild

Ben Fogle New Lives in the Wild

Tonight's episode he goes visit a British guy who is making a new life for himself in Don Det in Laos. Looks like he taken Geirs non A-4 lifestyle to the extreme and gone a bit colonel kurtz. Don't know the island or area but going by the comments on Mail Online (yes I know) it may not be quite as remote or devoid of western interaction as he makes out. Nevertheless might be quite interesting. Tonight Channel 5 UK 9pm.

Banker swaps 75k-a-year job for a bamboo hut on remote island in Laos | Daily Mail Online

Always interesting to see other people that choose to jump of the carousel..... I couldn't live in a bamboo-hut for long tho. I was doing it for 2,5 months when we were building the guesthouse, but wont do it again. I can't watch it from here, but it will be interesting to know if he just retired or if he actually is making a living there.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    I can't watch it from here, but it will be interesting to know if he just retired or if he actually is making a living there.
    Only 31 so definitely not retired but having 'strict rules' about the women and having to marry if you want to get romantic? it was sounding good until that part, unless there's some karaoke or massage places nearby
    Last edited by stupscott; 21st July 2015 at 00:56.
    geir likes this.

Did anyone catch it? You can watch here...

I guess it's like that because of copyright.

I think he comes across really well in it, seemed he had his head screwed on and seems to have the support of his family and friends back home. His description of the grey ghosts commuting into the city of London and his desire not to end up like that and his realization that he doesn't actually have any tangible skills only how to use excel and operate a blackberry really struck a chord. Regarding his finances, he says he came with 7kGBP and been there 3 years and spends about 2kGBP a year. I'm not sure if that means he has only 1k left! Or perhaps he has some other income steams he's not letting on. Probably could knock up a pretty decent blog detailing his experiences and new life.
    Waharoa likes this.

I thought it was a good program. Pretty amazing how the locals have warmed to him

Interestingly the Laos they were speaking I understood and was just the same as Isaan Laos

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Did anyone catch it? You can watch here...

I guess it's like that because of copyright.

I think he comes across really well in it, seemed he had his head screwed on and seems to have the support of his family and friends back home. His description of the grey ghosts commuting into the city of London and his desire not to end up like that and his realization that he doesn't actually have any tangible skills only how to use excel and operate a blackberry really struck a chord. Regarding his finances, he says he came with 7kGBP and been there 3 years and spends about 2kGBP a year. I'm not sure if that means he has only 1k left! Or perhaps he has some other income steams he's not letting on. Probably could knock up a pretty decent blog detailing his experiences and new life.
    I got the impression he worked with the locals to cover his 2k a year costs? Interesting watch though... I wonder why his family/friends haven't come to visit?

I don't think it's that odd. Tbh if I lived in Thailand I wouldn't expect my family to visit and wouldn't be that comfortable if they did 555 . Anyway this island is pretty out in the sticks and off the regular tourist trail. Prob asking a bit much for gray souls back working in the city to use up their valuable hols to go sleep under a mosquito net without any internet!
    Waharoa likes this.

I don't think it's that odd. Tbh if I lived in Thailand I wouldn't expect my family to visit and wouldn't be that comfortable if they did 555 . Anyway this island is pretty out in the sticks and off the regular tourist trail. Prob asking a bit much for gray souls back working in the city to use up their valuable hols to go sleep under a mosquito net without any internet!
    I don't imagine many will be on board now after watching the show...I imagine that kind of life would be seen to be "primitive" to those less well travelled

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    I don't imagine many will be on board now after watching the show...I imagine that kind of life would be seen to be "primitive" to those less well travelled
    It isnt too far removed to living in the village in Isaan 5555555555

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    It isnt too far removed to living in the village in Isaan 5555555555
    sure....but how many of your family would want to take their holidays in an Issan "baan house" like this one without water tight ceiling and walls...even with you being/living there.....555

Mine are happy to come here for a few days but always stay in 5 star resorts...and this is an international tourist island destination 555
    Last edited by nelsonone; 25th July 2015 at 16:32.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    sure....but how many of your family would want to take their holidays in an Issan "baan house" like this one without water tight ceiling and walls...even with you being/living there.....555

Mine are happy to come here for a few days but always stay in 5 star resorts...and this is an international tourist island destination 555
    Just treat it like a camping holiday 55555

My mum stayed at my place for 3 weeks albeit we have all the mod cons but she was amazed at some of the places around. Was 5 years ago though so things have progressed since then
    nelsonone likes this.

Maybe not so much family, but ya mates would surely want to come and see you? If one of my best mates lived there I would love to go and see him...

It was a good program and I liked the way he adapted into the village life. I could never live like that, but I see people like him coming to Phayam every year. They are staying for 5-6 months in bamboo huts and manage easy to live on 10k baht a month. Not my style of living, but I sort of admire them for doing it.

If you really want to fuck off all the nancy world lefties and their political correctness, the rat race working world and employers who control your whole life, the total lack of privacy and digital snooping, government control and authority etc etc etc.............then doing what this guy has done is the way to do it.................if you even want to move significantly in that direction then Thailand and out in the sticks delivers

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    If you really want to fuck off all the nancy world lefties and their political correctness, the rat race working world and employers who control your whole life, the total lack of privacy and digital snooping, government control and authority etc etc etc.............then doing what this guy has done is the way to do it.................if you even want to move significantly in that direction then Thailand and out in the sticks delivers
    Why would it fuck anyone else off if you leave?

Don't you mean if you just want to leave the rat race behind (left, right, inbetween) then this would be a great way to do it? I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post

Don't you mean if you just want to leave the rat race behind (left, right, inbetween) then this would be a great way to do it? I agree...
    The people on social welfare would get upset, someone have to make their money 5555

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post

Ye I meant fuck off from

But I suppose anyone who doesnt conform to the leftie political correctness fucks them off anyway 5555555

The people on social welfare would get upset, someone have to make their money 5555
    I thought one of his comments "I don't actually produce anything" summed it up... that feeling of wanting to produce something tangible has been lost for many... I wonder if he will stay on that island for life... or move back west but pursue a different career... he seemed upset about not seeing his family... and with the lack of women on the island, he isn't starting a new family any time soon...

I doubt western people can live like that for long. It's easy when young, but when health issues comes along I think most people would head to civilization.

I doubt western people can live like that for long. It's easy when young, but when health issues comes along I think most people would head to civilization.
    Or a half way house in Cambo or Thailand maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast