Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By mjwx

Thread: Indonesia demolishes capital's largest red-light district

Indonesia demolishes capital's largest red-light district

Indonesia demolishes capital's largest red-light district | Reuters

With the closure of dolly in Surabaya and various purges of the last few years it seems Indo really is trying to clean up, not just window dress it..

Headed to Jakarta tomorrow. The place they demolished wasnt some well known place that foreigners went to, as I understand, but more like a shanty town ghetto type situation.

As for the higher end stuff that caters to westerners... we'll see if they can buy the influence to hang around or not.

Block M still there, but wasnt that impressed myself..

What always surprised me was the club scene in jakarta, obvious and rampant drug use, much wilder than you would expect given the islamist reputation..
    nelsonone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Block M still there, but wasnt that impressed myself..

What always surprised me was the club scene in jakarta, obvious and rampant drug use, much wilder than you would expect given the islamist reputation..
    Many Islamic countries are good advertisements for less restrictive alcohol laws. For all the flaws of booze, the same things that make people problem drinkers will still exist but they will not have an easy "out" like Alcohol so it's natural that they'll turn to something else.

Its not unusual for large underground drug scenes to exist in restrictive countries... and it tends to be cheaper, more destructive drugs like Heroin and Krokodil. I'm not surprised that Indo has a bit of a drug problem, it's just like Iran's Heroin addiction (which funds terrorism in the Stan's as that's where the poppys are grown) but probably not as bad.
    LivinLOS likes this.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Well, I was just in Blok M... its now down to 2.5 bars... I say half, cuz there's one that's open, but its where ya go for a quiet beer and maybe some pub grub. No girls. No crowd. Just 3 or 4 old times sitting around staring at the tv and nursing a Bintang.

The only active bars are Top Gun and D's Place. beyond that, the whole street is dead. There's 3 or 4 other bars that are open, but if you go inside you'll be the only person there.

My guess is that it wont be long before Blok M is just a memory.