Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travellers Guide - New Kindle Book

Travellers Guide - New Kindle Book

I've been messing about with this for a while, and fannying about over getting it done to be honest, but we kicked this idea around for a little while and this is how it's ended up:

Amazon.com: Cambodia - A Traveller's Guide eBook: Steve Finn: Kindle Store

It's a short kindle book, the first of many in a series I hope. Kindle books are very URL friendly and the idea is to have plenty of links back into the forum and to other relevant resources.

I thought that images would be important, travel resources without images are pretty dull, but I found that they are a bit tricky to work with for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they stipulate a 130kb file size which is pretty small. Secondly, they are going to be viewed across a variety of platforms and getting them to display as you want them to on all devices is not as straightforward as I thought it would be. I'm hoping that the image quality has survived and that nothing funky is going on when viewed on different platforms.

It has a cover price because you have to specify a price, it's part of the deal. It will be on free promo from tomorrow for two days though so it would be appreciated if you could grab it and let me know if there are any glitches etc. It looks fine on my Samsung tab with a 10 inch screen.

Will grab it and check on all devices for formatting.

Well done..

Ta. Still showing a cover price at the moment but will definitely be free later today.

Downloaded.
    Unfortunately I can't read it now as I just ordered a new Kindle to replace the one I forgot on the plane.

got it for free,a minute ago,have an android tablet with kindle installed as an app.

Purchased it on my iPhone , but had it delivered to my kindle at home , will check it tonight , thks

Thanks fellas, reports back on formatting would be really helpful

Quick check on my S4 active with Kindle App, and looks very good, small pictures, but can zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite911 View Post
    Quick check on my S4 active with Kindle App, and looks very good, small pictures, but can zoom.
    Thanks. The pictures are the variable that I just can't predict so that's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Thanks. The pictures are the variable that I just can't predict so that's good to know.
    can i just get it through the amazon kindle store steve?

i'm looking for it on a galaxy tab, but cambodia is not showing the book at the moment *in AUS* if that should matter.

found it, will take a look and get back on this thread mate

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    found it, will take a look and get back on this thread mate
    Cool, glad you got it sorted

I've never done anything like that steve and not sure what you've done, but I think it's fair to say, you should be proud of that.

Good information, links and pics.

Possibly the pics could be better, but that's no criticism at all, just an opinion.

Very impressive mate, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    I've never done anything like that steve and not sure what you've done, but I think it's fair to say, you should be proud of that.

Good information, links and pics.

Possibly the pics could be better, but that's no criticism at all, just an opinion.

Very impressive mate, IMHO.
    Thanks for positivity, really helps.

I agree about the images, I'm on a bit of a learning curve with that aspect of it. So long as they are displaying ok and not doing anything funky, like bleeding into 2 pages or obliterating text etc, then that will do. We might try and improve them in the future by putting borders around them and adding titles or descriptions. We only have 130kb to play with though so a very small file size.

Further read on my Nexus 7 2gen with Kindle app. Looks great, some of the pictures ends up on a page for themselves, but no problems with them otherwise. Did try it on my Kindle Touch as well, but not so great experience there. The links are next to useless with the crappy browser on the Touch, pictures are a bit unclear and dark on the e-paper, and some of the text seemed off, sort of like highlighted, but unreadable and the layout fell apart.

Update: After writing the above, the Kindle Touch, which I have not used in a long time, updated it self, and I checked the book again. Totally different experience. The pictures are still dark on the e-paper, so not much to do about that, but the text and layout worked a lot better now, no disappearing text, and layout seemed more firm, comparable to the experience on the Nexus. Seemed the browser got an update as well, worked better with the links this time. Actually read a bit on this forum on it..... In short, the book "works" on the Kindle Touch as well after the update.
    Last edited by Snakebite911; 17th September 2013 at 23:21. Reason: Update of Kindle Touch

Just looked at it on my iPad through the Kindle App , looks good , easy to read , touch a pic and it takes up the page , click x and you are back to normal , the links take you to Asia Info but because you aren't logged in can't see the pics ( which is what I would expect )

the Battery on my Kindle has run down , so will check it later after a recharge
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

How do u go about publishing on Kindle? Is it free or do u have to go through some evaluation process?

Just noticed , you refer to Siem Reap as Siam Reap throughout

On the Kindle Paperwhite the pics and text are good, but the links to Asia info are very slow.

I think your guide would probably be better without the links to the forum in the text and the information all contained within the book, nothing wrong with giving the link at the end , for further info , but on my Kindle it was a little confusing
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

It doesn't cost anything and you can publish just about anything, they do go through an evaluation process when you upload the files but if you follow the guidelines there doesn't seem to be any problem.

It's a relatively pain free process but it does take some time, it takes some fiddling about with as well trying to get the format right.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Just noticed , you refer to Siem Reap as Siam Reap throughout

On the Kindle Paperwhite the pics and text are good, but the links to Asia info are very slow.

I think your guide would probably be better without the links to the forum in the text and the information all contained within the book, nothing wrong with giving the link at the end , for further info , but on my Kindle it was a little confusing
    I've always used that spelling but will check and change it if you are right.

The links, for me, are fast but my internet is fast so your exoerience there is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I will take my tablet out today and see if I can get online somewhere to try a different speed.

I'm really pleased that people are coming back with positive feedback, the kindle format is not overly friendly for images so I was not expecting great things but they seem to have survived the trip for the most part. I can improve those at this end a little I think.

Thanks for feedback fellas, really very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast