Thread: Lombok

Lombok

Lombok has only recently popped up on my radar due to some Jetstar offers I get. Only of real interest to some Aussies I suppose, but it seems to me like Indonesia's Koh Samui. Well.. a quieter, much more deserted version of it anyway(and no P4P that I know of). pretty much nothing to do there but lie around on the beach.

Has anyone been there before?

Jet Star is offering flights from Perth for $129. I might spend a long weekend there at some point and write about it. But for now here are a few Googled images.

This is still a somewhat off the beaten path and less touristy place and seems like a good get way from time to time.

The pics look fairly inviting anyway.

ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Don't fancy the flight much on that aircraft

I flew on one of those to Aberdeen, when I booked it the lady on the phone told me it was around 1.5 hours of a flight and I said 'fcuk me!, which way is it going?'. Flight time on a proper plane would be 50 min or so.

On my 2 brief hops over Lombok on route to the gillis I had 2 huge scenes with people wanting to mob us.. Chanting anti western stuff etc.. We got stopped by police (I had no international license) and while we sorted the bribe / fine in the police roadside Sala a crowd gathered, chanting down with bush.. You support isreal etc (we are not American but they didn't care) and it was turning ugly.. Stones got chucked, the crowd was growing to 30 angry youths and men.. Our Thai girls were in near tears and they were shouting shit at them.. The police did nothing..

I thought for a bit me and my brother were going to go down swinging with the mob but we managed to get on bikes and tear through.. But it was super touch and go.. There was madness and mob violence in the air.. For no reason just anti western hate.

Obviously not a place I have great feeling for.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 24th September 2013 at 20:02.

Sounds charming; I will strike it off my list now...

Well I know people holiday there and have a great time.. but that was the second scene we had and I only crossed the island twice, few hours there each time.

Loved the Gillis tho.. but very little to do.

I notice all the pics in the OPs post look very buddhist however from my understanding/memory Lombok is mostly muslim?...it really was the full bottle tropical paradise back when i last visited (40 years ago) but if the natives are hostile these days as Sef points out WTF would you want to visit
    Last edited by nelsonone; 24th September 2013 at 22:42.

Nice looking pics.

How long ago where U there Sef?

I have to friends (girls) that got offended as well, not violent but more like sexual harassment. They went out with a local guy on a small boat to look at the islands around.....They said never again as the boat driver got "uglier and uglier" the further out they got. Seemed to be 'all western women are sluts' mentality.
    That said I've used that word myself about 100ish of my one night stands back home 5555 (wander what they called me).
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Ohh BTW, my friends went there about 20 years ago....
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Well of course the international playboys you are you will be update to each and every location 24/7

Give me another Lao

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Nice looking pics.

How long ago where U there Sef?
    Maybe 5 to 8 years ago.. I can't place it..
    Next time I used the speedboat from Bali.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Well of course the international playboys you are you will be update to each and every location 24/7

Give me another Lao
    Lots of Asia to still discover.. but my first Asian experience was Bali in the 90s and I was hooked.. I still have a real soft spot for the island of the gods (or dogs depending on mood).

If I didn't like you guy's so much I wouldn't be so soft on you.

Next time

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    WTF would you want to visit
    I don't anymore. They can keep their "tropical paradise".
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Regardless of what anyone says, I still feel very safe staying on Phuket. At least it was a welcome relief after traveling around South America in the 90s, and even Europe before that.

Despite a handful of incidents, my tenure here has in fact been remarkably free of problems. And if the shit really hits the proverbial, I do believe I have enough connections to at the very least put up a legal fight. Whatever that may be. It’s still a tropical paradise for me…