Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Asia Info Banned in China

Asia Info Banned in China

Was in Shanghai Mon-Wed last week. Tried to peek in here between work stuff at a few different hotspots/hotels/offices. No Dice.

Wonder how they decide what is allowed....

Yeah been told the same by Phil whose bike touring there.. RideAsia and GT-Rider both work..

Seems we are behind the great (fire)wall of China !!

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah been told the same by Phil whose bike touring there.. RideAsia and GT-Rider both work..

Seems we are behind the great (fire)wall of China !!
    With stuff like this the norm, how do so many people sniff on China's jock??

IE; "china the next great superpower (or already is)"...or, "we will all be speaking Chinese soon"..China, bla, bla.

It seems to me, it's obvious that with the general lack of freedoms (as they stand) it's just a commi Ponzi scam.

Or, is it the lack of freedom of information for the Chinese people. Or the nearly new info that the west has on china?

Jingo Bells, Jingo Bells - and it's still September. 555!

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Jingo Bells, Jingo Bells - and it's still September. 555!
    Are you talking about the manufacturing prowless of China? Dunno.

Mindless "elves" working for slave wages?

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    With stuff like this the norm, how do so many people sniff on China's jock??

IE; "china the next great superpower (or already is)"...or, "we will all be speaking Chinese soon"..China, bla, bla.

It seems to me, it's obvious that with the general lack of freedoms (as they stand) it's just a commi Ponzi scam.
    I wont speak for China as I have never been there and also was impressed by the industriousness and spirit of HK chinese, the vibe of the place was a can do kind of mindset..

But whenever I hear how the east will rise and take over the pushing forward of invention and economy, I tend to think on my own experiences seeing asians at work and find it hard to put 2 and 2 to make 4 in that case.. In the Philippines I woke earlier than the girl I was with and would go wander for a coffee, maybe grab some eggs, get phone credit, do whatever in the am.. I walk out of my hotel and there is 3 men, just getting out the paint and brushes to paint a small wall, it was only maybe 6 or 8m by 1 or so high... I go about my morning, have breakfast, grab some shopping for the room, sort my phone data, etc etc.. I come back perhaps 3 hours later in the morning and they have painted about 3 square feet of it, and all 3 are talking, holding brushes, mooching in the shade, doing no actual work. 3 men, 3 hours, if they had been german the wall would have been done (and Poland better watch out !!)..

I know theres people who work hard, but in general, theres a real lack of 'action' in most of the tropical countries makeup, thats not all bad life is less stressfull perhaps.. But when it comes to this economic powerhouse aspect we keep being sold, I am not sure I am buying it.

^^^ yet, they number the amount off children they can have? The math doesn't work on many levels.

And....555

If they are such a world driver, how come half of the board members here don't know all the names and policy's of EVERY leader in China??

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    There is currently a big debate in Germany about whether or not to introduce a minimum wage of 8,50Euro per hour.
    I've seen statistics of other Euro countries and different levels of min. hour wages, some quite shockingly high, like 12 Euro

So I don't see 3 guys on a 12 Euro min wage hanging around a wall for a couple of hours.

It's the same here, plenty of cheap labor in the UAE for construction. They are building a park opposite my place since a couple of month.
    Every time I pass by, there are 10 people hanging around, laying, having a break etc.

Good, first off I don't blame them in that murder heat here, but when it comes to cheap labor, I'm pretty sure some project managers would treat this differently when they all would earn 12 Euro per hour.
    But if the project was state sponsored, does anyone care?

But whenever I hear how the east will rise and take over the pushing forward of invention and economy, I tend to think on my own experiences seeing asians at work and find it hard to put 2 and 2 to make 4 in that case.. In the Philippines ...
    Asia is big. And some countries have a mindset that is just not cut for competing internationally except perhaps in a few areas. Just think about the schooling system and mindset in Thailand. Other countries is very much set for the future, like South Korea and China.

Danish television recently made a series with a 9th grade class of children in Denmark competing with a class at the same level in China. Generally we have a feeling that China is good teaching knowledge while Denmark is good teaching social skills, independent thinking, and problem-solving. The Danish kids got their asses kicked in almost every single area they were competing. Very scary.

And....555

If they are such a world driver, how come half of the board members here don't know all the names and policy's of EVERY leader in China??
    There is only one Leader in China - therefor One Policy 5555!
    So - they can pass Bills quickly and get on with buying up the US.

When China owns 90% of your currency - what is the USA going to do?

Devalue - to hurt China and collaterally ruin yourselves?
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 29th September 2013 at 14:32.

[QUOTE=Greatdane;29120]Asia is big. And some countries have a mindset that is just not cut for competing internationally except perhaps in a few areas. Just think about the schooling system and mindset in Thailand. Other countries is very much set for the future, like South Korea and China. [QUOTE]

Like I mentioned, I dont know about China as I dont have enough experience.. But I could point out both the mentioned countries are 'cold climate' ones.. and then that comes back to the IQ debates and things I have brought up before.

Danish television recently made a series with a 9th grade class of children in Denmark competing with a class at the same level in China. Generally we have a feeling that China is good teaching knowledge while Denmark is good teaching social skills, independent thinking, and problem-solving. The Danish kids got their asses kicked in almost every single area they were competing. Very scary.
    Interesting.. were they covering problem solving and deductive type stuff also ??

Interesting.. were they covering problem solving and deductive type stuff also ??
    Yes. And imagination, and a lot of other things as well.

One of the tasks was as a group to build a roof they could sit under with a stack of paper and some tape. Imagination and group work at the same time. The result in this test was actually not what counted, it was the way they got on with the task, their cooperation. Not only were the Chinese better to cooperate, their roof were better than the Dane's.

As far as I remember, the only discipline the Danes won was English. A couple of things were drawn, the rest the Chinese won hands down.

We also saw how the Chinese go to school, and it was quite different from the Danish way. A lot of memorization, and as far as I remember school days of 10 hours. And the parents that can afford it, sends the kids to private tutoring after the usual school hours.

I usually do not watch TV excepts some American series but this was very interesting, and it left me - and many other viewers - with the thought: Be afraid, be very afraid!

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    There is only one Leader in China - therefor One Policy 5555!
    So - they can pass Bills quickly and get on with buying up the US.

When China owns 90% of your currency - what is the USA going to do?

Devalue - to hurt China and collaterally ruin yourselves?
    Same same Japan 30 years ago...zzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Yes. And imagination, and a lot of other things as well.

One of the tasks was as a group to build a roof they could sit under with a stack of paper and some tape. Imagination and group work at the same time. The result in this test was actually not what counted, it was the way they got on with the task, their cooperation. Not only were the Chinese better to cooperate, their roof were better than the Dane's.

As far as I remember, the only discipline the Danes won was English. A couple of things were drawn, the rest the Chinese won hands down.

We also saw how the Chinese go to school, and it was quite different from the Danish way. A lot of memorization, and as far as I remember school days of 10 hours. And the parents that can afford it, sends the kids to private tutoring after the usual school hours.

I usually do not watch TV excepts some American series but this was very interesting, and it left me - and many other viewers - with the thought: Be afraid, be very afraid!
    "And shaw how the Chinese go to school"...

My point again, we know them, they are not aloud to know us....

House of cards. IMO.

Maybe they do not need to know us.

Earlier China was well know for their ability to copy us, at first with inferior product, but today many of their products are of high quality. It is no longer because of cheap labour, that many companies use Chinese factories. The wages are lower in many other countries. Before the new minimum wage in Thailand, I believe that Thailand was actually cheaper than China.

But what about innovation, surely the west is ahead there? Well, yes - for now. China has a lot of catching up to do, but take a look at the development in patent registration:
    China?s Great Leap Forward in Patents - IPWatchdog.com | Patents & Patent Law

.or, "we will all be speaking Chinese soon"..China, bla, bla.
    Yea like we're smart enough to learn Chinese
    Steve@thaib and Evilbaz like this.

"And shaw how the Chinese go to school"...

House of cards. IMO.
    I agree with the 'house of cards'. They've skewed the demographics with the one-child policy and that will bite them at some stage. They are also opening up a little so their own people are beginning to understand what is going on the wider world, the social engineering/one party state will bite them at some stage as well when people start demanding more opportunities and less inequality.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio View Post
    Was in Shanghai Mon-Wed last week. Tried to peek in here between work stuff at a few different hotspots/hotels/offices. No Dice.

Wonder how they decide what is allowed....
    Ah therein lies the problem. Now, had you been in Beijing ... 555
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I agree with the 'house of cards'. They've skewed the demographics with the one-child policy and that will bite them at some stage. They are also opening up a little so their own people are beginning to understand what is going on the wider world, the social engineering/one party state will bite them at some stage as well when people start demanding more opportunities and less inequality.
    Also, don't think we should hurry to now suddenly replicate the Chinese model for western schools. Enclosed experiments among children is one thing, but what the world needs in the next few decades is true innovation. The narrow Chinese and Indian model might work... for now.

Interestingly, Finland's school system has figured on top of every list lately. Ahead of South Korea, Hong Kong etc. Look at their solutions, and I think it will be a far more sustainable approach to meet future challenges.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast