Thread: Sulawesi

Sulawesi

Hi all,

I will be heading to Indonesia and Sulawesi in particular this November and i was wondering if anyone went there and could give me some tips about nightlife or places to visit.
    This will be my second time in Indonesia and i'm looking forward to it. I kinda enjoy less touristy places.

By the way i think it would be great to have "Indonesia" added as a "forum subject" among the other SEA countries threads.

I have been there but that is 19 years ago.
    Found some good night life and a bed companion in the disco under a big hotel in Makasar. Night life started after midnight. Then full of people, also crew of domestic airlines (Sempati and Merpati in that time.
    Just stayed there because I wanted to visit Tana Toraya, which I loved very much, but no nightlife there.

Thanks for your input captain.
    I'm also planning to visit Tana Toraya and then head to Manado and find some beach around there.
    I heard that Sulawesi economy is growing quite fast and the cities have more and more to offer in terms of nightlife, shopping etc..

Only heard that the Northern most part of the Island is not so safe due to muslim extremists. Close to the Southern part of the Philippines and the likewise extremists.

As you can see, not a whole lotta interest in Indonesia lol

I've never set foot on the mainland mind you, so not entirely sure, I might end up liking Indonesia if I went. But they being a primarily Muslim country is the major turnoff for me. Why bother with it when you got places like Thailand?

Make sure you write about your experience though. People will still be interested in reading a member's trip reports regardless of the destination.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

I have already been to Indonesia and i can tell you that even beeing a Muslim country there is plenty of nightlife (specially in jakarta) and girls.
    I have been to Thailand so often that i'm not counting anymore and got fed up with all the tourists and how some places totally lost their identity. You feel like you are not in Thailand anymore.
    With that said if you are purely interested in the P4P scene, no other place beats LOS, that's for sure but the other countries in SEA (and i visited most of them) are well worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    As you can see, not a whole lotta interest in Indonesia lol

I've never set foot on the mainland mind you, so not entirely sure, I might end up liking Indonesia if I went. But they being a primarily Muslim country is the major turnoff for me. Why bother with it when you got places like Thailand?
    Jakarta is a great party city.. Different in its way but Block M.. Great fun.. Its asias least recognized fun town IMO..

Also 5 or so years ago, last time I was in Jakarta.. They were having way out there club parties.. Lots of obvious gurners and disco biscuits.. A far cry from Singapores or bangkoks controlled scene..

I have a soft spot for Indo.. Its got wilds, beaches, surf, temples, girls and clubs.. Its just not got beer bars and easy tourist access.. Also I dont know how much more islamified it is or might become.

If anything I can see them becoming less Islamified. Especially as the older generation starts to die. I could be wrong but I think Indonesia has a very young population. I can't see youngins being too big on old ways and traditions.

And I did hear good things from a friend who went there last year. Lots of stories about drugs and girls in Jakarta. But at the same time, you're not going to easily find it unless you're with someone who knows the place. He went with his Indo GF who's into girls as well and they both ended up having a lot of fun.

I'd probably wind up checking at least Jakarta out if I can find someone to go with who knows their way around.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

I took a trip to Sulawesi about 15 years ago, did diving on Bunaken near Manado. It was great for diving but otherwise there was nothing there but it might have changed.

We then took bus - ferry - bus to go back to Makassar down south. Not many tourists around, actually there was muslim - christian conflict around the Poso area, whole city was closed down and it was scary to see no police or army intervention... houses burning at night etc..

Rantepao area has a lot of cultural stuff to do and from there we booked a rafting trip to the south, great way to travel south instead of sitting in a indo bus which will have a flat tire every 100km, no joke most buses had like 4-5 spare tires

Can't give any advice on nightlife but most larger cities seemed to have some kind of brothel/p4p area.. seedy but available.

Anyone who has an interest in the countries contemprary history (sukarno suharto etc) should read "in the time of madness" the UNs abandonment of Timor as it tried to democratically choose its path was really a shame on our promises and protections.