Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveler Cheques

Traveler Cheques

Hi new to the forum but been going to Thailand and S.E Asia for years now, love the place. Heading out for a month in March and have always taken the majority of my money in Travelers Cheques, but Marks and Spencer along with quite a few other places have stopped issuing them in favour of these prepaid cards. Was just wondering on the situation in Thailand in recards to cashing them out there, any of the banks turning people away with them or anyone had problems using them? Thanks for any help. ( sorry about spelling and gramma had a few beers) cheers

Visa, Mastercard are readily accepted although some ATMs limit you to 10,000 baht per withdrawal for foreign cards - so fees at both ends can soon mount up.
    You can get higher amounts inside the bank.
    Make sure your home bank ATM limit is high enough on your card and let your bank who issued the card know you will be using it in Thailand or they may block it.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Hi thanks yeah I checked out card rates and the Caxton looks to be the best no withdrawal fee from them but maybe a charge from the Thai bank, I just prefer to use trav cheques, but for some reason they seem to be phasing them out, got a few hundred sterling ones left from last year didn't know if there'd be a problem changing them up at all, also had cards turned down at ATMs even after informing my bank I was traveling, dont like to put all my eggs in one basket with money when travling.

Quote Originally Posted by munoi View Post
    Hi thanks yeah I checked out card rates and the Caxton looks to be the best no withdrawal fee from them but maybe a charge from the Thai bank, I just prefer to use trav cheques, but for some reason they seem to be phasing them out, got a few hundred sterling ones left from last year didn't know if there'd be a problem changing them up at all, also had cards turned down at ATMs even after informing my bank I was traveling, dont like to put all my eggs in one basket with money when travling.

Well you've made money on the sterling - gone from 43 to 54 baht over the past year.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Yeah it's looking better, I was getting 67 Baht to the Pound the first year I went.

I would be careful with those older cheques. I'm sure your bank here will honour them but you might meet some resistance abroad. Banks generally do seem to be phasing out cheques generally as you say so you may be forced to use cards before long.

67 would be nice again wouldn't it? If it stabilises around 55 for my October trip I would be relatively happy, I've taken a bit of a beating on exchange rates on the last couple of trips.

Amex traveller cheques still issued through RBS/NatWest , Lloyds , sure the other clearers still do as well
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Visa, Mastercard are readily accepted although some ATMs limit you to 10,000 baht per withdrawal for foreign cards - so fees at both ends can soon mount up.
    You can get higher amounts inside the bank.
    Make sure your home bank ATM limit is high enough on your card and let your bank who issued the card know you will be using it in Thailand or they may block it.
    Found that Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial will go to 20000 in ATM. Kasikorn limited to 10000.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Found that Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial will go to 20000 in ATM. Kasikorn limited to 10000.
    Granted, it's been a year since I've tried but I've never had any trouble withdrawing 30,000 B from SCB ATM's. I usually use the SCB ATM at the end of Bangla.

My card allows me to withdraw up to A$2000 per day and at the time A$2000 would have been 58,000 B.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Thanks for info will prob just go with the Caxton Card to be on the safe side and take a few hundred quid in Baht and Dollars cash as also having a few days in Cambodia. Just seems the exchange rate is not as good when using an ATM and there are quite often hidden charges. Just looking at some K bank statments from last year and I was getting a couple baht more to the pound than from an ATM and only paying around 20 Baht stamp fee on every 100.

I've always used debit / credit cards in my previous trips to Thailand. I always knew it cost me more in fees but I was happy to pay that for the security the cards gave me.

On my last trip, I went over with a wallet full of cash and it worked out a lot, lot cheaper. I looked at the alternatives beforehand , i.e. prepaid cards and travelers cheques. But I decided on cash and it went straight into my room safe as soon as I got to Phuket, with no problems from there on after. Yes it's a bit more risky, but it's cheaper. Maybe take some cash with cards as back up?

I did have to use my cards when there, but that was because after two days, my budget went out the window after frequenting Go Go bars!! When I got back, my bank statements showed how much more expensive that was! I guess it comes down to the 'risk' levels you can tolerate, but can taking cold hard cash be considered?

Only ever used TC's in LOS and never had a problem.

T.C's have always been my way of budgeting used to change one up each night just before the bank closed then when my money was gone time to wonder home, not so easy when you've got a card with another 10,000 Baht avalible and a few to many Singhas on board.
    Last edited by munoi; 19th January 2014 at 20:04. Reason: mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by munoi View Post
    T.C's have always been my way of budgeting used to change one up each night just before the bank closed then when my money was gone time to wonder home, not so easy when you've got a card with another 10,000 Baht avalible and a few to many Singhas on board.
    Self control; not easy to accomplish when wearing beer goggles

Just out of curiousity do you change them at the regular exchange booths or does it have to be a proper bank?

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Just out of curiousity do you change them at the regular exchange booths or does it have to be a proper bank?
    Change TCs at a Bank , their rates are better than for cash , although probably not as good as some of the exchange booths , but security is more important to me so not an issue
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

I've never thought of using them to be honest but do make good sense when you consider how vulnerable the safes actually are as well as the many problems of using atm's.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    I've never thought of using them to be honest but do make good sense when you consider how vulnerable the safes actually are as well as the many problems of using atm's.
    I have never had any problems with atm's other than the 150 bath fee.

Neither have I but you hear of skimming problems, your card getting swallowed, using it when you're a bit drunk or just plain getting robbed, or if you've an over eager bank and they see withdrawals in Thailand without you informing them first they might cancel the card on you.

Always use the proper bank exchange booths dotted around such as Kasicorn bank, not the ones run by local Thais attatched to hotels ect... exchange rates for T.Cs are usally better than for notes and I prefer the security. Spend around 8 weeks at a time in S.E asia so carrying cash is not that safe. Dont fancy wondering around remote parts of Vietnam with $5000 dollars in my pocket. The beauty of T.C s has been saftey and the fact it only cost 20-30 baht in fees per teansaction where as ATMs charge aroun 2-3 per transaction at each end, this soon adds up if you are withdrawing money each day over a period of a few months, gone with the Caxton card as they dont charge for withdraws but sure the Thai banks will charge a fee. Would prefer to try T.C's again but dont want to risk being turned away from banks and having no money. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast