Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dale
  • 1 Post By Dale

Thread: Jakarta - Stadium gets shut down..

Jakarta - Stadium gets shut down..

One of Jakatas maddest venues gets closure.. Wonder if it will last..

http://asiancorrespondent.com/123006...ium-nightclub/

wow, I leave town for a week and it's gone ! although hadn't been there since moving to Kemang a few months ago...

BTW, this is a great info portal. My first post here, but thanks to all the great contributors. Fantastic forum !

Welcome.. Your based in Jakarta ??

Its a city I only have a few short bursts in but had much more fun than I expected to find. The perception its a repressed islamified city didnt meet what I saw with my eyes.

Would love to get input and posts from you on the city, the vibe, local foods and places, etc etc.. We dont have nearly enough Indo content (I can add an indo sub forum actually) and I have always had a huge soft sport for Indo, my first asian experience was there and it was that trip when I knew I would be end up living in asia.

Thanks LivinLOS for your welcome, I couldn't seem to find a thread or place for introductions...

I have a love/hate relationship with Jakarta after living here now for 14 months, it's all about planning life around traffic which has been the biggest hurdle for me to overcome. I never got out (of Jakarta) enough in the beginning, only really for work related matters as I'm responsible for this region. But since taking a few extra days here and there while I'm out visiting some of our facilities, I have found some really beautiful and interesting parts apart from the ubiquitous Bali or Lombok. Jakarta eats souls for a living and you have to be fairly resilient/tough to carve out a life here, so far I have seen Jakarta as city of almost 10 million with almost all of them trying to find a way to get out of here. However in saying that I have made adjustments like moving to Kemang, although it is an ex-pat enclave which I was trying to avoid, to live in a 'green space' of sorts within walking distance of my office. Life here now is pretty good, small things really, running group Sat mornings, getting in with a good bunch who know where all the good gigs/live music venues that are happening when and where..... wow I've prattled on a little here, my apologies.

Bit of background if you're interested, Dale is actually my name I work for a large hotel chain in their auditing and loss prevention/security field. I was relocated to Jakarta after living in Ho Chi Minh for 3 years before that and SW USA for a few years prior to that. Born in Malmo but my folks were in the hotel game as well, so I grew up between Sri Lanka, India, Thailand, Malaysia and Australia.

Hopefully I can provide any info or answer any questions, if I can contribute even half a percent of what I've gained from here in the last week or so, I'll be happy...
    kris-one likes this.

Dale welcome and your job would be interesting
    Must be a challenge doing loss prevention when working with different languages etc.
    Got to be some stories there.

thanks again for the welcome, yes it has it's moments ! I got used to the 'no replys' and 'let's talk about that some other time' while being in Vietnam, but Indonesia is a whole new level. I'm not young and even after years in the trade, they are still surprising me with some of the suggestions and requests I receive... I was warned about the corruption here but it's more part of the fabric of society than some government official's indiscretion.
    TLandHim likes this.

I will spend a few days at the Mulia hotel in Jakarta next week/weekend and I know nothing about Jakarta! Any tips greatly appreciated!

Been years but fun used to be had at Block M

ahh what a bummer I only just saw this ! I have been on a whirlwind tour of Cambodia, HCMC, Yangon & Canberra ! for work...

Robaht you would be well and truly done now, but here's my 2 cents worth anyways.

Mulia's a nice joint, good locale and well apointed. As far as any day time activities it's ususlly limited to malls, cinemas, cafes and long lunches or the Batavia Cafe for a visit if you've never been before. From the Mulia it's an easy stroll to Senayan Arcadia which is a building behind the large Plaza Senayan mall, it houses a good assortment of restaurants and bars. Amongst these Red Square (vodka bar), VIN (wine bar) would be my pick for a night out and also to meet some nice 'friendly' locals good to start the night with dinner at the Mexican, Teppanyaki, Sushimi or Steakhouse and also there's the Black Cat (jazz club) and the ubiquitous Molly Malones irish pub. Hard Rock isn't so bad either, there's one over in Pacific PLace 1 (near the Stock Exchange Building) close by in this area also, I know it's a Hard Rock but being in the middle of a cluster of 'high end' businesses from the surrounding buildings you will meet some interesting folk, plenty with interesting tales/tails anyways.

I live in Kemang which is anywhere between 30 minutes and 1.5 hours in a taksi south of that area, a lot of expats live in this area and therefore it's a lot 'easier' in regards to what you expect from a place and the service standards. If anyone makes it down to Kemang Eco360 has a great rooftop area and a good rotation of visiting DJ's.

Sorry to be so vague about the daytime stuff, but to be honest Jakarta is the most horrible place I have ever lived in and I have my set things I do, like a running club and also day runs with a great small vintage/kitsch group of motorcyclists. The traffic is beyond oppressive and to be honest shopping malls are seen as the centre of daily life here as sad as it sounds. Blok M has become a sad, neglected, dirty and sometimes unsafe corner of Jakarta with the rise of a lot of 'mega' clubs and a shift in popular areas to frequent, although a few drinking buddies who are long term expats have shared wonderful tales of merriment from it's heyday...