Thread: First time to Bali

First time to Bali

Any suggestions on mid price hotels appreciated. Pool required.
    Looking for the nightlife areas, but a hotel that is reasonably quiet at night.
    And of course joiner friendly.

Nightlife means Kuta Legian or close in Seminyak..

No real suggestions in there tho sorry..

Search for Poppies Lane 1, in the centre of Kuta. We stayed at Masa Inn on recommendations from a seasoned Bali traveler. One trap was renting a scooter.....250,000 Rupiah a day, no problem. Went to drop it back and the wanker wanted an extra 750,000Rupiah. When I asked why he said extra days....one day is only 12 hours! Its on the contract in fine print.

That is a trap and I would throw a shit fit at that one..

Personally I wouldnt stay poppies tho it is smack central... I think Kuta can be a bit of a pit.. My perception is twisted in I dont like walking about and always happy to have a scoot and can drink / ride / avoid cops (who will try to actually chase you down and randomly aggressively hit you for bribes there.. You need to have your hard head on). Legian has nice options about middle way, I splashed on a villa deal in Seminyak last time but it was costly.. Jimbaren, while I like the area, has the issue of being past the airport which is a bit of a hike for most tourists.

Looking at price considerations first, I find the $50 to $70 a night provides a level that I'm comfortable with in regards to security, facilities, room standard etc etc.

If you're looking to be in the centre of things Legian 101 is a place that I use when spending 2 or 3 days there, it's very central but quite cavernous so offers some good sound insulation (well the rooms I've had always have). Has a rooftop pool that is great to hangout in the afternoons, draws a young crowd and I have easily made friends that I ended up going out on some wild nights with. Also use DeKuta in Poppies 2 if the 101 is full... When spending a week or more I generally head further north and use Niramaya Villa which is in a gang behind the Haven in Seminyak, great rates for what you get email them direct I find the best option. Others I use around the 66 area (road that basically splits Legian and Seminyak) area the Puri Damai and a few doors down the Ananta which are both close to this great sandwich shop called 'Swich', beautiful fresh rolls & thickshakes when you get sick of the local offerings

I find it really difficult to recommend what people should do or where they should stay on their first trip, I've been traveling to Bali for many many years and since living in Jakarta have had countless visits there. I work for a hotel chain and when I go there regularly for work I'm put up in one of ours in Nusa Dua (east side of the island), but it's just row upon row of beachfront mega hotels where folks come (generally as families) to stay somewhere they never have to leave... 'fully optioned' resorts. I tend not to stay in any of our groups hotels on personal travel as they are giant monoliths catering to the type of traveler that I am not and it's like being 'in the office' also, running into those people at the water fountain who want a chat that you would rather avoid. Ubud is nice for a day trip or even an overnighter if you have a longer stay, it's your typical mountain retreat type place. Offering yoga retreats and places for lost souls to 'find' themselves, but it is the centre for the arts in Bali and offers some interesting takes on the history there and the infamous 'Don Antonio BlancoMuseum'. Don Antonio was a Manila born gent from Spanish parents and came to Bali to live out his days and was known as an "an eclectic, erotic, sex-driven artist and incorrigible womanizer"

I guess I could keep on, but I might be offering up things that you don't need or want. If you have seen or heard anything you might be interested in maybe I can be of some assistance offering what I might know about the place...

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    That is a trap and I would throw a shit fit at that one..
    You bet I did...I didn't pay it.

Stayed at 101 Legian a couple years back. Pretty sure the kitchen was directly above me. Noising from 5am onwards 😈

Appreciate the feedback. I will investigate.

WTF
    Seminyak is nice a bit gay but nice