Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Dieting while in Asia

Yeah cos as you add muscle and lose fat.....you may even increase in weight as muscle is heavier.

But if just doing cardio then the kilos should reduce

Exactly right. As far as I've understood it at least...

Still not sure what the perfect ratio should be between fat burn, cardio and peak for a normal daily workout. Just know that I feel much more energized throughout the day, but certainly aware that too much is not great either. In addition to that, loving bicycling around the village these days. Substituting locally produced Thai red curry as the power source behind the kinetic energy as opposed to terrorist produced fossil fuels...

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    I think a much better way of determining health/fat loss rather than using the scales is to either take pics daily/weekly, full body shots in your boxers or having some smaller size jeans or shirts that you either used to fit or aspire to fit and try to feel if they are more easy to button up or fit etc.
    I agree and when I started.. I wished I took some photos as feeling clearly different now but dont have the exact reference, just felt a bit narcissistic..

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    @LiL: You mentioned that you reached Kathu from the Kamala Hills (southern) paths? Iíll put up some GPS readings tomorrow, but looks like those mostly lead towards Kalim.
    Yeah from Kamala you do have to take a left turn on a trail (of course right from Kathu) at one point.. I just had a look.. am surprised the trail isnt on OSM.
    sundancekid likes this.

Yeah, youíre correct of course. Once I loaded the coordinates I can see that the Kamala Hills track (orange) is probably the likeliest candidate. Although there were quite a few optional trails up there, so not sure I was on the right one. As it did narrow down a bit in the end, and I passed awfully close to some of the shacks up there. Still, a good 8 km hike which effectively brought me half-way to Kathu.

Also, there is a photo-trail on GE that pulls away from my middle (red) tracks. Which might be worth exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    Agree, the scale is not really ideal. I feel it more with the body fat around the belly and the neck. If I can feel my ribs more, I'm generally more pleased. That belly fat is the worst kind anyways...
    Seriously, try sit-ups. Not much fun, but your center core is the start of a fit looking body.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

I agree building up your core is most important. But sit ups wont shift the abdominal fat. A trim waist or 6 pack is made in the kitchen first and foremost.
    Waharoa and Easycpl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    I agree building up your core is most important. But sit ups wont shift the abdominal fat. A trim waist or 6 pack is made in the kitchen first and foremost.
    Once I shifted to the scales that measure body fat as well as weight, it became far more motivational.. seeing fat % loss even if weight was unchanged would always spur me on....

I had been doing very well diet-wise until going out socially (last night). A common downfall in these parts. I had done very well on my food intake for the day (ballpark 1200 calories, very few carbs), but then I started drinking. I had half a bottle of wine, then 3 SML's... which is where I should have stopped. I might've even felt OK with that, honestly. It would've put me around 1850 calories for the day and I'd done an hour of cardio (-500ish). But noooo... instead of going home at 11, we went to meet the she-wok and her friends at Good View, where I decided, for some stupid reason, to drink a whole pitcher of Leo. I figure that pitcher probably had an additional 600-700 useless calories in it. So this morning I woke up with a lovely headache and 2 handfuls of regret.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I had been doing very well diet-wise until going out socially (last night). A common downfall in these parts. I had done very well on my food intake for the day (ballpark 1200 calories, very few carbs), but then I started drinking. I had half a bottle of wine, then 3 SML's... which is where I should have stopped. I might've even felt OK with that, honestly. It would've put me around 1850 calories for the day and I'd done an hour of cardio (-500ish). But noooo... instead of going home at 11, we went to meet the she-wok and her friends at Good View, where I decided, for some stupid reason, to drink a whole pitcher of Leo. I figure that pitcher probably had an additional 600-700 useless calories in it. So this morning I woke up with a lovely headache and 2 handfuls of regret.
    Easy to fix.... go for a 2 hour run... and then no food for 3 days... voila.. back to where you were yesterday... 55

Fat again...
    About to start mine all over again.
    #MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Once I shifted to the scales that measure body fat as well as weight, it became far more motivational.. seeing fat % loss even if weight was unchanged would always spur me on....
    how do they work ??

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Ohh I dont even try to calc my drink nights.. I just write them off as cheat days or something and try not to have more than 2 a week.. whats 8 500ml wheat beers followed by 20 vodkas add up to in cals ?? Best not even know !!
    WarProfiteer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    how do they work ??
    Electrical current. You don't feel anything though. I've re-checked with callipers and they are reasonably accurate... and consistent.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    how do they work ??
    They supposedly pass electric current through your feet, up through your body, and then adds a dash of calculus and a S.W.A.G., and comes up with a supposed BF% for ya. Not generally accurate unless you are of average height and average build.

What they are definitely good for tho, is measuring the change from one weigh in period to the next. You can use it to track progress (or lack thereof) quite reliably. If ya step on it today and it says 20%BF, then you measure in a month and it now says 18%, you know you're making progress in the right directions.

Anyone have any recomendations to witch body fat scales to buy ? I tried one a couple of years back, and the measurements were all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkdude View Post
    Anyone have any recomendations to witch body fat scales to buy ? I tried one a couple of years back, and the measurements were all over the place.
    Yes, take your shirt off at the local pub and see if any girls look more than once. If they cover their mouths and make a gaging gesture..back to the gym! 55
    Last edited by slampay; 19th July 2015 at 13:49.
    Waharoa and Dkdude like this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkdude View Post
    Tanita are pretty good. But don't buy anything under £50....

WP said about them not being so good if not normal weight.... which may be the case. I am pretty standard height and weight so have worked well for me over the years... my brother used to be a personal trainer, so he has all the old fashoined kit (callipers etc) to check my readings now and then... so far, so good... pretty consistent. But make sure you measure yourself at the same time each day. ie say when you just wake up...
    Dkdude likes this.

Ok, going to make this short: But are anyone else trying to cut down on carbs while at the same time enjoying "bread like" wraps? Been searching for years now, and appears I've finally found one that somewhat matches my needs.

I may do another post on it, but it basically involves coconut flour, psyllium husk and boiling water along the lines of the recipe below. Have done some changes to it, but so far meets my needs in terms of texture, looks, chewiness, brown spots, pliability etc. And most importantly, it stays moist and soft as it goes cold. Needs a bit further refinement on the taste though...

Just to add #1: Cannot believe I need to buy imported coconut flour at Villa for 350 THB. I understand that Thailand does not have a bread culture, but this stuff is truly amazing. I've asked the head guy at Villa to continue to keep it in stock. So far I have not been able to make a decent one myself from drying and grinding the coconut flesh, but will continue to have a go at it...

Just to add #2: I would not really consider this to be "anti-carb" or "anti-bread" or "gay" anything like it. Same as I'm not "anti-sugar". From my research and experience at least, wheat products are actually making us ill. As it metabolizes in the liver the same way as sugar does. Sure, added fiber can slow the process down, but still produces those nasty LDLs that is a killer for both weight and cholesterol. I will still consume it on occasion, but all in moderation, right?

Flatbread (Coconut flour and Psyllium) | Divalicious Recipes
    Last edited by sundancekid; 2nd August 2015 at 20:23.

You're gaining minimal carb levels ...

The Carbohydrate Content of Coconut Flour | LIVESTRONG.COM

Just eat less flatbread?
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast