Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: More online Surveillance

Quote Originally Posted by jaynewcastle11 View Post
    You two will have to remember that you're being constantly monitored, tracked & recorded by the Govts satellites up in space anyway, so even if you ditch your phones, the powers-that-be will always know where you are & what you're doing anyway
    Fair enough, the government wouldn't have nearly enough resources to even monitor 1% of the population. And it is hard to imagine an organisation so incompetent they can't even solve their own basic problems, trying to accomplish anything on that scale.

But that's not to say that these things aren't serious matters and shouldn't be paid attention to. And what if all that personal data ends up in the hands of people who would use it to steal your identity and take out massive loans on your behalf, or commit fraud under your name?
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Quote Originally Posted by jaynewcastle11 View Post
    You two will have to remember that you're being constantly monitored, tracked & recorded by the Govts satellites up in space anyway, so even if you ditch your phones, the powers-that-be will always know where you are & what you're doing anyway
    Given the amount of cctv cameras in the UK they won't even have to go up to space to keep an eye on you ;0

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    People have no clue about the level to which they are monitored when online and have scant regard for putting stuff online, once it goes online it's very difficult to keep control of it.
    The recent celebrity nudes scandal is highlighting your point , but who was to blame ?

Fingers being pointed at 'iCloud' via 'Find My iPhone' but Apple denying any responsibility (but have already "patched" an exploit) !

BBC News - Apple confirms accounts compromised but denies security breach

Apple patches 'Find My iPhone' exploit | ZDNet

I wonder how many people are switching off/disabling (if they even know how) their "My Photo Stream" function , or have even realised that all their pictures are up in the clouds !

^^ I think it's that most people aren't as tech savvy as they think, using Facebook and Twitter and never having your phone out of your hand doesn't really cut it. Most people will just click next next next when they get their phone or download an app. There are reasons why a lot of this stuff is free as it's usually your information that pays for it. Again with Apple above they don't really make it obvious that when you take a photo it's automatically backed up forever and even claim it's a service.

Yes
    I understand big companies like Apple Google etc wanting your info to make money in whatever way they can.

What gets me is the citizens of counties willing to fork over ( in the case of the USA) 54 billion dollars a year ( thats not the defense budget,thats just for the alphabet soup of spies) for the privilege of your government
    spying on you,US spy agencies employ over 100,000 people .

They have the populations of the world so scared.

Slightly OT but it ties in with use of personal data.

Electoral register versus 'Open register'

Originally I used to be sent a form to complete to be included on the Electoral Register in the U.K , basically it was just to confirm details that had been previously supplied. This form had a tick box that could be 'checked' if you wished to opt out of the 'Open register'.

The 'Open register' can be bought by companies etc , it gives them details about you and your household.

Next they changed it to 'on-line' registration , again , just to confirm previous details and it also included the opt out option.

Now they have updated the system , they sent an e-mail confirming my details but .......

...... they also informed me that everyone is now automatically on the Open register , there is no opt out facility available on-line and if you do want to opt out you have to personally visit the local council offices !

You can opt out of the ‘open register’ - the version of the register that’s available to anyone who wants to buy a copy.
    A lot of people with either not notice the change or not want the hassle of going into their council offices , so the Government will now have even more data to sell on.
    Last edited by faultytowers; 3rd September 2014 at 16:44.
    Waharoa likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12