Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: 2015 Plans

2015 Plans

Next year I'm the big 40 around Songkran time but due to study commitments I won't be spending it in Thailand but I am putting some serious planning into a 3 week trip in June. I've narrowed it down to two options, one touring around a few spots in Thailand and Cambodia and the other just sticking to Thailand which surprisingly is turning out to be logistically more difficult.

Option 1 - Few nights in Bangkok, thinking of staying in Silom, some great deals available for booking this far eg the Centre Point Silom which looks great is 160 euro for 3 nights which is nearly half price out but I'm just wondering what the bar scene is like here or will I be commuting to Sukhumvit for nighttime fun?

From there it's back to Phnom Penh for 4 or maybe 5 nights as I enjoyed my time a lot here in 2013 but felt like I left too quickly, never even got to Street 51 but I did the usual touristy stuff so can concentrate more on nightlife this time out. Then I'm thinking of getting the bus to Sihanoukville for 4 or 5 nights, not sure where to stay but the OC boutique near Ochheutel beach looks nice for about 160 euro. I like getting a nice 4*. Again not sure of nightlife options so would appreciate some information here. I know victory hill? is the p4p location but it looks pretty small and is it worth staying more than 4 nights?

Getting back to PP poses a bit of a problem as the flight back with Air Asia(incidentally 85 euro return) is at 17:00 so I'd have to be at the airport around 15:00 which means leaving Sihanoukville by 11 at the latest which would be cutting it tight so am thinking of just biting the bullet and getting a taxi one way which initial searches seems to cost around $50.

Then it's back to Patts for 6/7 nights although the last time I did this I was pretty wrecked from my travels and had a tame week in Patts so this might change to the start of the trip but it's so hard not to go to Patts when I'm in Thailand.

Option 2 - So same same for Bangkok and Patts but thinking about getting to Chiang Mai for 5 nights which seems very cheap to fly to, then back to Bangkok and hit Samui for 5 nights. No direct flights so it'll be a short stop in BKK. Had a few recommendations on hotels in Samui but not sure where's good to say in Chiang Mai or what the main sights are.

My own initial thoughts are that the Cambodia trip is more preferable but I wouldn't mind seeing more of Thailand. Option two is a dearer option too as there's more flights and hotels are more expensive in Thailand.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

In CM - Raming Lodge , good price , location and GF - loads to see and do , highlights from my time there Doi Suthep and Patara Elephants

weather should be still good in Samui , Lamai is great fun ( lots of beer bars ) and nice beach
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Thanks will check it out, cmon people surely we've a few members that have been to Sihanouville and Chiang Mai that could give some advice!

OK I read it but think its hard to answer... Because it comes down to personal preference.. Let me pick at it..

Silom, yeah OK for a looksee and I think the lesser looked at spots around bangkok are fun for an expat or old hand as its a change for lower Suk.. But really if your on a limited time, you will probable be heading back to the known Suk spots so why not stay there.

Sihanoukville.. If you want nice hotel and Ochy together then Serendipity beach resort is a much better location than OC Boutique IMO.. Good pool, new hotel, stroll to the bach or equinox monkey republic areas.. Etc etc.. After trying most of the Ochy hotels this was the one I ended coming back to most often.

Victory hill is one bar zone area.. Theres another called Golden Lion Plaza where Stevies bar is and another just been made (well 2 years since I was there now) just off the 2 lions roundabout. Also theres the backpackery Monkey republic and Equinox bits but those are very quiet low season. Beach bars just in that bit and also a few bars out at Otres. Otres daytime is great IMO but non brassy and didnt like copping stink eye when travelling with my ex there.

Getting back by bus.. No idea, hate busses.. Taxi isnt mega money.. If travelling with someone from PP (not a bad idea given the standard at Sihanoukville) then the price differential drops even further. As to airlines BKK air also flys and often was same price as air asia for much nicer service (free bags, lounge in bangkok etc) and Thai air also had flights sometimes cheap. Maybe theres other options but me I would take a car and driver.

Option 2.. Yeah that all works.. Very cheap lion air flights BKK CNX currently. 1050 baht a buddy just said he paid.. Also theres a CNX to Surat flight (AA) just started with a 590 baht special.. If going to Sami they can package flight, bus, boat etc for a 999 baht special.. Sure its a bit of hassle but those samui tickets always seem expensive to me and flying to Surat direct is probably more hassle than CNX BKK Samui.

CNX and whats to do.. Theres bars.. clubs.. gogos.. treking.. waterfalls.. temples.. tigers.. etc etc.. all about your wants do you enjoy being on a scooter etc.. Transport really opens up CNX and without it being shuttled about on tours would not be as much fun.

Samui.. Lamai is where I like to stay, nice pace and can hop over to chaweng for nights out easy enough...

In Chiang Mai go try the zip lines and white water rafting to convince yourself that you're not really old yet.

option 2 is plenty of travel and hassle, imho, + as you said more $$$

bkk to patts to bkk to chang Mai to bkk to samui to bkk to home = not an enjoyable break mate, it's far to much in 3 weeks.

we did something similar (different destinations though) earlier this year and it was a fucking nightmare, you're tired and just over travelling to be honest.

granted it's good to see other parts of the country, but it's better to do it over a period of time where time is your friend, not where you've got to cram it in, just so you have done it, (hope that makes sense)

However in that option the BKK patts stuff is trivial.. couple of hours in a taxi..

The BKK to CNX is also light.. Few hours in the middle of the day but not like a major haul..

The only one of the hops is the CNX to Samui, shich does become a ball ache either with the ferry options.. Or the 2 flight options.

All of the hops above feel easier than the PP / Shihanoukville taxis and international flight issues.. Just from a travel perspective.

if you are after a comparison between nightlife in Samui vs Sihanoukville then its a lay down misere win for Samui...Lamai alone has about 10 x the bars that Snooky has...and the girls are way better looking and way more up for it...Lamai Beach is usually a lot nicer as well (both places water quality suffers during wet season) and there is a lot more to do and see here tourist wise

Snooky is not without its charms though if you are going to be in PP anyway...its still realtively cheap and the food is good...it has a nice laid back beachy/traveller vibe which I enjoy....but its not really a P4P destination....more a chancer if you want a holiday there....BYO from PP is a good option if you find the right gal there...most would jump at the chance

Oh and BTW....if you are coming to Samui fron Chiang Mai use a BKK airlines (or Thai) connecting flight..its a little more expensive than using say Air Asia...but AA only fly to Surat then you have to take coach/ferry/coach....it will take the entire day if not an overnight stay in Surat
    Last edited by nelsonone; 13th October 2014 at 18:20.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Oh and BTW....if you are coming to Samui fron Chiang Mai use a BKK airlines (or Thai) connecting flight..its a little more expensive than using say Air Asia...but AA only fly to Surat then you have to take coach/ferry/coach....it will take the entire day if not an overnight stay in Surat
    Except they just started a CNX to Surat direct mate.. Might do it in the next few weeks..

Yes its a boat hassle.. But skips the BKK connection hassle and Samuis airport fees.
    nelsonone likes this.

I would like to see more of Cambodia but I don't think a week in PP would be worth the visa and extra flight as well as I don't think there's a hell of a lot to do in PP for a week and although I enjoyed Siem Reap there's not a hell of a lot to do there if you don't want to go around Angkor Wat again, hence the Snooky idea. The bus I got to Siem Reap was fine, the road wasn't great and took nearly 7 hours, Seems possible to do Snooky in half this time.

The Surat airport flights are about €40 one way but that flight gets in just about too late for the high speed ferry, the regular ferry seems to get to Nathon and it'll be a taxi from there. Given that I'd prefer to fly back from Samui there's not a lot of saving there for quite a bit of hassle.

I could of course just take one of them out of the equation making less connections and my preference is probably for Chiang Mai if I stay in Thailand. I know a lot of this is subjective but it's also good to bounce ideas of people and get the forum discussing these trip related questions.

Ever wish you didn't discover Pattaya? These decisions would be so much easier if I didn't feel obliged to drop in as I'm in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Except they just started a CNX to Surat direct mate.. Might do it in the next few weeks..

Yes its a boat hassle.. But skips the BKK connection hassle and Samuis airport fees.
    I took the bus from Surat Thani to the ferry onto Samui
    Was a breeze.......they have it all timed down perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    option 2 is plenty of travel and hassle, imho, + as you said more $$$

bkk to patts to bkk to chang Mai to bkk to samui to bkk to home = not an enjoyable break mate, it's far to much in 3 weeks.

we did something similar (different destinations though) earlier this year and it was a fucking nightmare, you're tired and just over travelling to be honest.

granted it's good to see other parts of the country, but it's better to do it over a period of time where time is your friend, not where you've got to cram it in, just so you have done it, (hope that makes sense)
    I did something like 1800 km's in 9 days last time
    I like to drive but that was a bit too much..........I felt it after the fact

got a spare room here at the villa atm if ya wanna do it...

2015 Plans

Your option 2 is what I'm thinking I might do in a couple weeks. I have I think 20 days off, but yeah the travelling might be a bit excessive.

2015 Plans

And re pattaya... I know what u mean. I could just go CM and KS and keep things simpler but I just reallllly wanna go Pattaya for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    got a spare room here at the villa atm if ya wanna do it...
    You still around 1st week Nov ?? Maybe even LK on the island ??

I have lots lined up this month, and a wedding in Isaan on the 2nd.. But could scoot straight after..

Has Marilyns closed now Clives passed ??

You still around 1st week Nov ?? Maybe even LK on the island ??

I have lots lined up this month, and a wedding in Isaan on the 2nd.. But could scoot straight after..

Has Marilyns closed now Clives passed ??
    will shoot you a PM....