Thread: Chinese factory partnerships ??

Chinese factory partnerships ??

Chinese Debut Cheap Range Rover Copy At Display Next To The Real Thing

Land Rover just launched their Chinese-built Evoque at the Guangzhou Auto Show, while a few feet away, copycat LandWind X7 offered the same design at quarter of the price. AWKWARD.

Ballsy. Kind of a goofy name though. Wonder if that's a function of translation similar to what Chevy ran into when they tried marketing the Nova in Spanish speaking countries.

From the comments section:

Not to mention the social and environmental crimes.
    Just be buddy buddy with the party, be an official or own an island in the sweatshop archipelago, and when things heat up, buy your way into the west as an "investor", and launder your ill-gotten gold in the real estate market.
    What I mean by that is that we should embrace and celebrate these cultural differences.
    Fairly Accurate.

Chinese customers always insisted on "Amerikan" made or depending on the product German made.

Purchasing anything Chinese made achieves no status so they will not buy.

Even Japanese made was not acceptable, Russians funnily enough are similar.

I bet the Ëvoque will find an export market though

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Chinese customers always insisted on "Amerikan" made or depending on the product German made.

Purchasing anything Chinese made achieves no status so they will not buy.
    Chinese made has a stigma.. And I see these china bikes, made from crap material, that rust etc, have no parts supply chain.. They get sold here and sure they are cheap, but they are crap to start with and rot and fall apart in 2 or 3 years.. Theres no resale.

But, everything from Harley to BMW to almost everything is either built or has components made in China, they just have proper QC channels. Like Japanese cars being poor, to them now being the most reliable on the market, China will solve it teething troubles and produce quality items.

As to the car above, I have no idea of its quality, but even as a china car, if that was on the Thai market at 22k, it might be worth a gamble. Hell at the full 63k of a a real range rover it would only be 1.8 mil. Whats an evoque here 3 or 4 mil ??

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    But, everything from Harley to BMW to almost everything is either built or has components made in China, they just have proper QC channels. Like Japanese cars being poor, to them now being the most reliable on the market, China will solve it teething troubles and produce quality items.
    With getting anything made in China, the quality depends on what you're willing to pay. If you want something made cheaply it will be crap, if you want something near western quality you need to pay near western prices for it.

All the QA and skilled workers you're willing to pay for can be provided... The problem is a lot of companies aren't willing to pay for it and China obliges.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    With getting anything made in China, the quality depends on what you're willing to pay. If you want something made cheaply it will be crap, if you want something near western quality you need to pay near western prices for it.
    You have to pay a premium.. if that premium is near western price is harder to say.. Depends on the goods being made.

I have to admit to being very curious what a 22k usd (660k baht) range rover comes out like..
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 23rd November 2014 at 06:29.

You have to pay a premium.. if that premium is near western price is harder to say.. Depends on the goods being made.

I have to admit to being very curious what a 22k usd (660k baht) range rover comes out like..
    I think it would be a 22k usd mistake.

Yeah, me and the biz partner think very differently over this issue. He's willing to give them a shot, whereas I'm not. He has 2 of the chinese bikes (Lifan), but I dont want them as part of our fleet. I see them as a bad investment. Time will tell, of course, but I want us sticking to the well known and respected names that generally mean quality... Honda, Suzuki, etc. Actually, for the sake of uniformity and the savings that can be recognized therein, I would prefer to stick with Honda alone... but that's a different story.

He has a Lifan Cross dirt bike that isnt even a year old and the plastics have already turned from a nice bright red into a dull, almost salmon looking color. I guess if that kind of thing doesnt bother you, then Lifan is for you. On the upside, he got the thing for nearly a third of the cost of a KLX150. I think he paid just 35K baht for it brand new. That's a dirt bike that's way cheaper than almost any twist-&-go motorbike.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    I think it would be a 22k usd mistake.
    Yet your surrounded by value options.. here a 10 year old beater of a pickup will fetch 12k USD.. Some crappy little hatchback will cost 25 - 30k for nothing special.. Its basically stacking up next to a nissan micra or suzuki swift kind of equivalence.

I am unsure on the evoque sale price here.. Is it the 4.5mil ?? So 150k USD !! I remember the old full range rover was 7.2 or so.. So close to 250k for a range rover !! Dont even ask what top flight mercs and semi exotics are.. Think 10 year old porsche that would be 20 or 25k usd (looking at england pricing) will be 10x that here.

How the tax systems actually work once ASEAN trade barriers drop is still very grey tho..
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 23rd November 2014 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Yeah, me and the biz partner think very differently over this issue. He's willing to give them a shot, whereas I'm not. He has 2 of the chinese bikes (Lifan), but I dont want them as part of our fleet. I see them as a bad investment. Time will tell, of course, but I want us sticking to the well known and respected names that generally mean quality... Honda, Suzuki, etc. Actually, for the sake of uniformity and the savings that can be recognized therein, I would prefer to stick with Honda alone... but that's a different story.

He has a Lifan Cross dirt bike that isnt even a year old and the plastics have already turned from a nice bright red into a dull, almost salmon looking color. I guess if that kind of thing doesnt bother you, then Lifan is for you. On the upside, he got the thing for nearly a third of the cost of a KLX150. I think he paid just 35K baht for it brand new. That's a dirt bike that's way cheaper than almost any twist-&-go motorbike.
    I totally agree with you on the china bikes that are here, Lifan being one of the weakest, Keeway being possibly a bit better, and then stepping up to tiger, imported as CKD being half decent and actually having owners happy with them at the price point, when there was no other 200 250 cheap option.

But for a fleet.. Why bother ?? Stick to less models, less brands.. One good option.

Yeah, the goal is to stick with Hondas only, but it'll be a process. We have 2 Suzuki's at the moment and the rest are Hondas... either Click's or Spacy's. I think there's one Airblade as well. Eventually it will be uniform, but there are other dragons to slay a the moment. As long as I can get him off the idea that Chinese bikes are a cheap, viable alternative (they're not, imo) then it will be a start. Uniformity of the fleet will be the next thing, but it can wait.

Probably as reliable as a proper Range Rover... in fact, given how reliable they are the Chinese copy would probably be break less often.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    Probably as reliable as a proper Range Rover... in fact, given how reliable they are the Chinese copy would probably be break less often.
    Yeah despite their cache, they are known here as a nightmare especially on the electrics..

You also see a lot of the old round light early ones having facelifts to the later look..