Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Air Asia

Air Asia

Early reports that flight from Indo to Singers has gone missing....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30614627

That link originally said a spokesman from AA confirmed that the plane had requested a alternate route then went missing.

Air Asia in the last few minutes confirmed that the plane is 'officially' missing. Search and rescue are being deployed.

Oh no, not another. Air Asia too, always seemed like a good airline to me and mostly new aircraft.

5+ hours now....one report I read said it had enough fuel for a 4 hour trip...it was just a local hop from Surabaya to Singapore..let's hope it all ends well but it is not looking good atm

Interesting way to get their news out but Facebook and Twitter seem to be their first choices:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/airas...52667884908742

What a shame. Also, this is another Malaysia based airline.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

AirAsia Berhad (MYX: 5099) is a Malaysian low-cost airline headquartered near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. AirAsia group operates scheduled domestic and international flights to 100 destinations spanning 22 countries

This is a strange one,weather ok,short distance etc etc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Petter; 28th December 2014 at 14:15.
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

MISSING AIRASIA FLIGHT: Plane believed to be downed in Belitung waters, says report - ANN

not sure how well confirmed this is.. another news source said unconfirmed wreckage sighted..

This is shocking to read, hopefully can find the plane asap.

QZ8501 Latest: Six bodies retrieved from sea

QZ8501 Latest: Six bodies retrieved from sea | New Straits Times

Looks like they found it then. Hopefully they will find the cause as well, early guesses on the news here seem to be a stall while climbing to avoid the weather; seems odd that it's possible given the experience of the crew etc. but something caused it for sure.

A horrible incident and a real shame for Air Asia, I've come to really admire what they do.

It's hard (and foolish) sometimes, to prognosticate the reason for an airplane crash early on. There are usually interconnected circumstances involved. (ie: it's never just one thing.)

Obviously, severe thunderstorms were a factor in this case.

The big things that stand out for me are:

1. The pilot request for a climb from FL320 to FL380. (nearly the limit of airplane capability)

then...

2. The reported 100 knot "drop" in speed (groundspeed), as recorded by the ATC data.

The request for a climb in itself is not unusual. But the fact that the speed dropped so dramatically, could indicate that the crew was trying to "zoom" climb out of the turbulence/weather. That is, trading off speed/energy for altitude. An ordinary climb profile in a modern jet transport, the airspeed remains fairly constant with the cruising speed.

Also of note, the maximum operating altitude for that aircraft is FL390, or just 1000ft above the requested level. Depending on the aircraft weight (load and fuel) and atmospheric conditions (temperature), this may have been on the very border of the aircraft capability.

Tugging back on the control column (or in this Airbus case, the side stick) would result in a faster climb, but at the cost of losing vital "indicated airspeed". And in bad weather conditions with turbulence, you must maintain airspeed for controllability. This is especially critical at higher altitudes and near the airplane's operating limits.

Who knows? With a slower airspeed, buffeting and possible windshear even further exasperating the airspeed fluctuations...perhaps they entered a "stall" condition, like the Air France did over the Atlantic?

Then given all the B.S. design features of the Airbus flight control systems, who knows if the pilots were able to recover? From the relative distance between last contact position and the debris field, it looks as if they came pretty well straight down. With no thrust (engines out), that airplane would easily "glide" for 75 to 100 miles from that altitude.

It's good that they've found the wreckage so soon, and can give some closure to the relatives etc. (R.I.P)

The "black boxes" will soon be recovered and tell the story of "why".
    Last edited by Pablo; 31st December 2014 at 08:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    The "black boxes" will soon be recovered and tell the story of "why".
    Good post, Sir.

What is your (gut-feel) opinion as to whether the investigation and final report will be fair an square?

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    Good post, Sir.

What is your (gut-feel) opinion as to whether the investigation and final report will be fair an square?
    Oh, I don't know.

When they recover the boxes, my guess is that they will request the NTSB to decipher the information for them. I doubt that the Indonesian aviation agency has the capacity do do so.

Also, I think there will be plenty of pressure from the manufacturer and other regulatory agencies worldwide, to get a truthful and accurate report. There are far too many of these aircraft (A320) being operated around the world, to not get a truthful answer...either absolving or condemning the airplane.

Since it's not the "State owned and operated" air carrier, I'd guess that the "saving face" part will have much less influence in any disclosures.

You're question reminds me of the Egypt Air accident a few years back. The B767 that barrelled into the North Atlantic. (New York to Cairo)

After requesting the NTSB help, the Egyptians decided they didn't like what was going to be the outcome and probable cause. That is, the copilot purposely putting the aircraft into a fatal dive while repeating muslim chants (alah akbar) etc. Plus the rumors of his off duty meandering, and the passenger list which included some top military personnel and so on.

They then asked the NTSB to bow out, and took over the investigation themselves. Eventually putting the blame on Boeing and the empennage design.

But the NTSB, facing pressures from all other corners, went ahead and published their (differing) conclusions, anyway.
    Last edited by Pablo; 31st December 2014 at 18:52. Reason: add

Oh, I don't know.

When they recover the boxes, my guess is that they will request the NTSB to decipher the information for them. I doubt that the Indonesian aviation agency has the capacity do do so.

Also, I think there will be plenty of pressure from the manufacturer and other regulatory agencies worldwide, to get a truthful and accurate report. There are far too many of these aircraft (A320) being operated around the world, to not get a truthful answer...either absolving or condemning the airplane.

Since it's not the "State owned and operated" air carrier, I'd guess that the "saving face" part will have much less influence in any disclosures.
    Thank you for your reply.
    That leaves some room for optimism

You're question reminds me of the Egypt Air accident a few years back. The B767 that barrelled into the North Atlantic. (New York to Cairo)

After requesting the NTSB help, the Egyptians decided they didn't like what was going to be the outcome and probable cause. That is, the copilot purposely putting the aircraft into a fatal dive while repeating muslim chants (alah akbar) etc. Plus the rumors of his off duty meandering, and the passenger list which included some top military personnel and so on.

They then asked the NTSB to bow out, and took over the investigation themselves. Eventually putting the blame on Boeing and the empennage design.

But the NTSB, facing pressures from all other corners, went ahead and published their (differing) conclusions, anyway.
    Better example than the one that was on my mind: Ethiopian Airlines 737 from Beirut diving into the Mediterranean Sea just a handful of years ago.
    Lot of mud-slinging there as well.

Would like to think it will be open and above board. Air Asia might be Indonesian but Tony Fernandes is a global business operator and would surely not think in such a closed minded way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast