Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The meal/drink companion girls of Singapore

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8

    The meal/drink companion girls of Singapore

    Anyone old-timer for Singapore know about the meal/drink companion girls in the Geylang district? I see they are mostly Vietnamese or Thai; they just sit around all night long with male patrons, drinking, sometimes eating, mostly chit-chatting; some will rub their patrons' hand or back.

    How does one hook up with these girls and how much do they charge? Thanks a lot.

    Would upload a couple of images but i don't think i have that right yet. Will try to post later.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Hope someone can answer this, never been to Singapore but it's on my list

  3. #3
    Senior Member dontpanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,823
    I'm guessing they hookup with them as freelancers in places like Orchard towers which is a big indoor bar complex near the Orchard hotel, there's also lots of streetwalkers that most taxi guys will know where to bring you for them.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,385
    Mostly Karaoke joints for that action according to a previous friend who worked them.

    Unfortunately have no specific information on establishments.

  5. #5
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGG View Post
    Anyone old-timer for Singapore know about the meal/drink companion girls in the Geylang district? I see they are mostly Vietnamese or Thai; they just sit around all night long with male patrons, drinking, sometimes eating, mostly chit-chatting; some will rub their patrons' hand or back.

    How does one hook up with these girls and how much do they charge? Thanks a lot.

    Would upload a couple of images but i don't think i have that right yet. Will try to post later.
    Done this many times myself whilst living there. They don't do it for free It's not a lot for just their company (10-20 SGD depending on how long they spend with you) but what they're aiming for is striking up a short-time session at the nearby hourly-hotels afterwards (may or may not have done so myself *ahem*), which "apparently" goes for around 80 SGD. If you're familiar with other "areas" in Singapore for foreigners, you'll note that is very cheap.

    I found it was a very very "local" (Singaporean) thing to do, and sometimes I'd be the only "ang-moh" there and get some odd looks from the "uncles" (not many young people there at all), but because I knew a few local guys they'd invite me and everything would be cool - I'd never just go there myself or just with other foreigners though. Part of it is also that they feel foreigners will ramp up the prices for them since they have more money to spend. I was constantly reminded "only give her XX and if you go hotel just give her XX!", which is probably why it is cheap in comparison to other "tourist" areas. Most of the guys will aim to get there between 7-9pm because that's when the girls shift finishes at the local KTVs where these girls all come from, so they finish work and if no one has taken them from there, they try their luck and perhaps earn a little extra at these drinking areas around Geylang.

    The girls rarely speak even basic english for Singapore standards - mostly Mandarin, which I found really really weird coming from a Vietnamese girl (as if they've decided to learn it just for hooking up with Singaporeans). They did love me as a foreigner though - I guess after having to deal with grumpy old drunken uncles most of the time it was a nice change for them to see someone younger (and I'm not that young!). Of course they probably also saw $$$$ signs.

    So if you do want to go there, definitely go with a local and let them introduce you to the girls, otherwise I can imagine it being seriously awkward.

    My other brief guide to Singapore (Singapore.. what I've learned (purely for informational purposes!)) didn't really touch on this aspect of Geylang, but the girls are essentially the same girls you will see in the local KTVs (which again is usually a very local thing unless it is in a tourist area).
    Steve@thaib likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,044
    Had a very good 'friend' stay in Geylang area for a couple days. He had a great time.
    Apparently there is an area where it is prostitution is legal. There is one specific alleyway that has a tremendous variety; Vietnamese, Thai Chinese, Indos, Malays, Bangladeshi.
    Each area there will be different nationalities in groups of 4-6. There are also small houses that you can pick a girl and go short time there....or so I heard.
    All in all, quite a buffet.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Done this many times myself whilst living there. They don't do it for free It's not a lot for just their company (10-20 SGD depending on how long they spend with you) but what they're aiming for is striking up a short-time session at the nearby hourly-hotels afterwards (may or may not have done so myself *ahem*), which "apparently" goes for around 80 SGD. If you're familiar with other "areas" in Singapore for foreigners, you'll note that is very cheap....
    Thank you for the insight. I am Asian looking, and luckily I am somewhat old too, so I think I can blend in. Do you know how the "courtship" take place? Every time I see them, they are all already sitting around the table and chit chatting. Do customers select the girls? The girls select the customers? Do customers sit down first then the girls come over? Or customers grab girls on street when it all begin then they find a table?

    Often I see people just sitting around nursing a drink; I want to eat food but have no table to sit. don't restaurant owners want them outta there at some point?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    30
    I stayed close to Geylang many years ago and didnt know how things worked. Wandered around and saw a bar with football on.Popped in and ordered a few beers while watching the footie. Saw these cute vietnamese girls(probably about 19 years old) doing the rounds in the place.I was the only foreigner in the joint. Could it have been one of those places??

  9. #9
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    Depends what your definition of a bar is. If you just mean an eatery/hawker place that happened to have a TV on, then yes it could have been.

    If you mean like a pub, where you go inside a building and all they sell is beer, loads of big TVs with sport on etc, then I don't think it would be exactly the type of place being referred to, but that's not to say they wouldn't have girls working there under the same principle (sit with you and drink all your beer, then have to fork out 20-40 SGD for the pleasure of doing so!).

    There are plenty of bars/pubs all over Singapore that have all sorts of girls singing/dancing etc who will come sit with you (Geylang is usually Viet/Thai, whereas like Orchard is more Filipino), but I'd class that more like a KTV, Hang Flower Joint, or Night Club (and there are *tons* of them). KTVs/HFJs are still a very 'local' thing in Geylang and much cheaper than the 'tourist' versions at Orchard etc. The difference between those and the girls referred to above who sit and drink outside (mainly) with the uncles is that they are much much cheaper, and a very local thing.

    Whereas in contrast Orchard is mainly beer bars - no KTV or anything, usually just some crappy entertainment, and mainly Filipino. You go in, order a beer, and buy girls lady drinks like you would in Thailand, and in doing so they'll spend time with you (play pool etc). If you click, you can usually take them out of the bar after negotiating on the price (usually ridiculous prices around Orchard though).

    If you can't be bothered with all the drinks etc and just want a quickie then go to more or less any of the "even" numbered Lorongs in Geylang and they'll have legal brothels you can enter (fishbowl style choosing in some). See my other post I linked above for prices there etc.
    sidvicious likes this.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8
    Hi Thanks for the info. You are an old-timer indeed NeedHoliday!

    How does the hook up happen? Do patrons sit down first then the girl come over? Or I see the girls often sit at a table with no men; does that mean I can go join them? I hardly ever see any money exchanged; when are the girls paid?

  11. #11
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    In all the cases I was there the girls would walk by and sit down if asked. Money exchanged for just sitting down with you was very sly and never in open public view, but always either a) as the girl needed to leave or b) as the guy needed to leave. Amount varies based on time spent and/or if they were butterflying between other customers.

    From your picture it's not the type of place I would expect the type of thing I saw, so not 100% sure if its the exact same thing. It'd be odd for these girls to be wandering around a hawker center like that - are you sure they're not there just with some guys who took them from a KTV or something? Did you see single girls wandering around trying to get the attention of the uncles and being asked to sit down? Actually more often than not they're in pairs as they always like to be with a friend when looking around for customers.

    I'd expect the area to look more like this (behind Lorong 13/15/17 etc):



    You can see all the uncles sat outside drinking beer provided by the local eatery (and the sometimes cute beer girl filling up), so the girls will walk by the tables down these side streets hoping to catch the eye of someone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NeedHoliday; 16th January 2015 at 11:12.

  12. #12
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGG View Post
    Often I see people just sitting around nursing a drink; I want to eat food but have no table to sit. don't restaurant owners want them outta there at some point?!
    This annoyed me too at some point. If they're not buying food or beer it would be unusual to stick around, but I often saw people hanging around after eating just chatting which is annoying, but a lot of the time they may be well known to the area - most of these guys go there almost every day after work for drinks, so they're often treated like regulars. Depends on the area though.

  13. #13
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    Doubt whether this experience has anything do do with the above....but...

    I got picked up by 2 TGs in a mall KFC a few years back....it was nowhere near Geyling (It was across the road from the ParkRoyal in Little India)....I was walking past them, kinda meandering as I had no idea what I wanted to eat or where...and certainly KFC wasn't on my radar...never is...they were sat there chatting to each other and as I walked by they smiled at me so I smiled back and sawasdee kaped and wai'ed them after picking they were Thai...

    They were blown away that I picked them as Thai in Singapore and then asked me to sit and join them...they were nice pretty 20 somethings so of course I didn't need to be asked twice

    The story was that they worked as maids and this was sunday their day off...they said they met every sunday at this KFC and then went on an outing...so after I bought them a meal and we all had a great old chat in english and broken Thai I offered to take them for a look around the Marina Bay complex as it had just been finished...to cut a long story short we had a great day and they hardly stopped gigling...so later in the hot sticky afternoon I asked if they would like a swim in the pool at my hotel...they jumped at this despite having no swimwear...they just went in with their cut-off jeans and tight T shirts on...and we got no grief from the pool staff despite there being a sign that "appropriate swimwear must be worn at all times"...I guess they were used to TGs in that joint 555

    we had a couple of beers down by the pool and then I suggested we take the party back to my room...they were up for that so put on the hotel toweling robes and slippers I loaned them before we went back to the lifts and hit the room

    so once again to cut a long story short...I got room service including a bottle of champagne...and we all ended up in the bed together laughing and rolling around naked...and much to my surprise and enjoyment these two girls really "liked" each other...they went home US$100 each richer (about half of what they earned a month) and with beaming smiles on their faces...and I was a pretty happy guy myself...
    Last edited by nelsonone; 16th January 2015 at 12:00.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Depends what your definition of a bar is. If you just mean an eatery/hawker place that happened to have a TV on, then yes it could have been.

    If you mean like a pub, where you go inside a building and all they sell is beer, loads of big TVs with sport on etc, then I don't think it would be exactly the type of place being referred to, but that's not to say they wouldn't have girls working there under the same principle (sit with you and drink all your beer, then have to fork out 20-40 SGD for the pleasure of doing so!).

    There are plenty of bars/pubs all over Singapore that have all sorts of girls singing/dancing etc who will come sit with you (Geylang is usually Viet/Thai, whereas like Orchard is more Filipino), but I'd class that more like a KTV, Hang Flower Joint, or Night Club (and there are *tons* of them). KTVs/HFJs are still a very 'local' thing in Geylang and much cheaper than the 'tourist' versions at Orchard etc. The difference between those and the girls referred to above who sit and drink outside (mainly) with the uncles is that they are much much cheaper, and a very local thing.

    Whereas in contrast Orchard is mainly beer bars - no KTV or anything, usually just some crappy entertainment, and mainly Filipino. You go in, order a beer, and buy girls lady drinks like you would in Thailand, and in doing so they'll spend time with you (play pool etc). If you click, you can usually take them out of the bar after negotiating on the price (usually ridiculous prices around Orchard though).

    If you can't be bothered with all the drinks etc and just want a quickie then go to more or less any of the "even" numbered Lorongs in Geylang and they'll have legal brothels you can enter (fishbowl style choosing in some). See my other post I linked above for prices there etc.
    It was a proper bar/pub not the eating places you describe.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8
    Do you think it's a good idea if I grab a girl (those working, obviously; after years of training I think I can ID them no problem) on the street then sit down somewhere? I want to be very choosy because only about 10% of the girls are young and beautiful; the rest are like aunties.

  16. #16
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    Depends on the situation, but honestly if you're around Geylang and you see a young girl that fits the description, just ask her flat out if she wants to sit with you. If she can't even answer you then its not worth the hassle. If she speaks enough english to sit down and chat then sorted - be prepared to shell out a few bucks later. If during that time you really click and its pretty obvious she's a working girl, just ask her how much to go to a hotel - they'll be pretty honest, it's not like Thailand where the price can seriously vary.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8
    how come i can't add to this thread any more?!

    Oh i see... just can't post pictures?! but i WAS able to post pictures....

  20. #20
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Can you add your experience in detail to

    Downtime for updates..

    You posted pics this morning..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •