Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Two of the Bali 9 to be executed

Two of the Bali 9 to be executed

I guess a lot of ppl will disagree but personally dont feel these guys deserve the firing squad. When you look at the guy from UK, Julian Ponder that got away with 6 years cos he had money on a cocaine smuggling charge, how these guys are getting executed for drugs yet drugs are freely available in the jails they are in etc. seems way to hyprocritical and corrupt for me.

They were very young at the time and seem to be reformed....personally thought a prisoner swap would have been fair.

BBC News - Indonesia rejects Australia Bali Nine prisoner swap offer

Watched a good documentary on it a few years ago....

"The eight men and one woman were arrested in April 2005 at an airport and hotel in Bali, Indonesia after a tip-off from Australian police."

kinda ironic the government who got them caught in the first place is trying to save them now

Quote Originally Posted by slimbag View Post
    "The eight men and one woman were arrested in April 2005 at an airport and hotel in Bali, Indonesia after a tip-off from Australian police."

kinda ironic the government who got them caught in the first place is trying to save them now

Very true!

Looks like if it does happen.....will be first Australian citizens executed in Indonesia?!?

List of Australians imprisoned or executed abroad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty awful for the Ozzie government to tip them off knowing full well they would face the death penalty if caught.
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Pretty awful for the Ozzie government to tip them off knowing full well they would face the death penalty if caught.
    Seems to be more the AFP responsible than the government though...

The Australian Federal Police will never be able to justify exposing the Bali Nine to the death penalty, a barrister with intimate knowledge of the case says.

Bob Myers is a friend of Bali Nine drug mule Scott Rush, who's serving a life sentence for his role in the heroin ring that's left Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran facing imminent execution.

Mr Myers says the nine were only arrested in Bali in 2005 because the AFP tipped off their Indonesian counterparts, and they did so without the Australian government's permission.

He says the AFP should never have facilitated the arrests in a country that has the death penalty, and it's a heinous breach of their duty to protect Australian lives.

Last month, the AFP promised a more detailed explanation of the events that led to the arrests of the nine but not until clemency efforts had been exhausted.

That now appears to be the case, with Chan and Sukumaran transferred on Wednesday to an Indonesian island for execution.

Mr Myers says the AFP must explain itself, but says he doesn't believe it will save Chan and Sukumaran at this late stage.

"At one point, seven of the nine were given the death penalty, including Scott (Rush). Thank god we were able to appeal that," Mr Myers told AAP on Wednesday.

"None of them should have been arrested there. The police had no right to do what they did, and their activities were completely unauthorised. The government knew nothing about what they were doing.

"There can never be a justification for what they did. That's why they haven't given one in 10 years. The AFP have got to be called to task."

Last month, Deputy Commissioner Graham Ashton rejected suggestions the AFP would have blood on its hands over the Chan and Sukumaran executions.

He promised the AFP would have more to say if last ditch appeals for clemency failed.

"We don't want to say anything that is going to potentially negatively influence that effort," he said at the time.

"But at the right time we will and we'll say a fair bit about it."

AAP has approached the AFP for comment.

Amazing that this is the only place/forum/news outlet that immediately picked up on what I always believed is the real issue.

The Aus federal Police sold these people down the river intentionally, knowing they will be killed when they did it.

There seems to have been no good reason to do that other than setting an example, or saving themselves/taxpayers time and money incarcerating them here.

Hard to believe people don't have that front of mind.

However, they took the risk, so they must unfortunately pay the ultimate price as well.

It has made me think though, that if the death penalty is on the table, it is probably the greatest incentive to repent or reform that you could get. These guys seem to have turned a significant corner - although drug mules aren't a mass murderer to begin with either....

So maybe having the ultimate punishment available, but showing more leniency if and when people do actually change their ways is an option over the usual revolving door on rapists, kiddy fiddlers etc.
    Kill them or change them....

People do tend to overlook the fact that these were the Bali Nine
    That means that seven others that could have been sentenced to death, then executed weren't.
    I guess the AFP originally wanted all nine of them shot? Not a very good average result for them then.
    Malaysia routinely executes drug smugglers as does China and Vietnam. No help from us there.

Personal opinion but I'm very much opposed to the death penalty. It's barbaric and serves no purpose, it's clearly not a deterrant because they keep on having to do it.

I know they did the crime but topping them, really? Sad.
    Waharoa and Changone like this.

Bali Nine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia full run down on their sentences.

Most of the Nat geo locked up abroad episodes seem to depict people down on their luck, young and naive with the hopes of making major gains. At a young age I was aware you dont cross borders with contraband. I remember traveling to from Don Muang to Japan during the Vietnam war, they had amnesty boxes in the terminal. Dump your shit no questions asked. You don't see anything like that anywhere these days.

It seems Indonesia doesnt like it's own people being executed in foreign countries either....

What a difference a few months make. Last year, thousands of Indonesians collected coins in a last-minute attempt to save a migrant worker, Satinah, from imminent execution while on death row in Saudi Arabia. The campaign galvanized the country, led to a trending hashtag #savesatinah, and forced then-President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to intervene and pay the remainder of the blood money to get Satinah taken off death row.

Today, it is the world that is campaigning against Indonesia’s new administration, led by President Joko Widodo, popularly known as Jokowi, and its use of the death penalty against foreign citizens in its fight against drug trafficking. Even more worrisome, the government’s insistence on using the death penalty may be imperiling the ongoing fight to save the lives of hundreds of other Indonesians like Satinah, still on death row all around the world.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/03/indonesias-death-penalty-hypocrisy/

Jakarta warned of execution 'hypocrisy'

Which does make you think if Indonesian citizens were subject to the death penalty in Australia.......how would they then react to the idea of a prisoner swap ?!
    Last edited by davis121; 7th March 2015 at 08:42.
    JimCA2 likes this.

Looks they will be going ahead with executions.............
    Bali Nine executions: Live updates as Australians say goodbye to their families ahead of execution - Asia - World - The Independent

Indonesia has not confirmed exactly when the executions will take place but the arrival of coffins and visits by families, along with Indonesia's usual execution protocol, suggest the inmates will be shot by a firing squad shortly after midnight local time (6pm BST)
    Last edited by davis121; 28th April 2015 at 17:49.

Some of the pics of the pair are pretty painful to see. Waiting and not knowing must be the worst part.

Some of the pics of the pair are pretty painful to see. Waiting and not knowing must be the worst part.
    Personally I always thought they would have got a last minute reprieve, but looks a very slim chance of that happening at this stage

Terrible for the families as well.......

It's no secret that there are certain sovereign nations that apply the most extreme penalties for drug offenses. I have known this from the time I was aware of illegal drugs and drug usage. I'm sure that the "smugglers" in this case, were also aware of the gamble they were taking. But unfortunately for them, they won't be lapping up the good times with their ill gotten gains, as they expected! It's a risk-reward game they were playing, and they lost.

Personally I don't think that drug offenders should suffer the ultimate...capital punishment, as I feel that should be reserved for the hardest and hardened violent criminals. Such as murderer's, rapist's, kidnapper's, etc. And I have no problem with capital punishment in such cases.

I do not presume, however, that my standards and reasoning should be somehow applied to a completely sovereign nation, who has different or more stringent standards.

All the Australian celebrities making their plea's is likely very much hypocritical, as many of them are probably "social" drug users (at least) themselves. Think about these executions and what price is paid for your next "snort" or "bowlful of fun".

Yeah, it's pretty harsh treatment!

But it's meant to be, to serve as a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    It's no secret that there are certain sovereign nations that apply the most extreme penalties for drug offenses. I have known this from the time I was aware of illegal drugs and drug usage. I'm sure that the "smugglers" in this case, were also aware of the gamble they were taking. But unfortunately for them, they won't be lapping up the good times with their ill gotten gains, as they expected! It's a risk-reward game they were playing, and they lost.

Personally I don't think that drug offenders should suffer the ultimate...capital punishment, as I feel that should be reserved for the hardest and hardened violent criminals. Such as murderer's, rapist's, kidnapper's, etc. And I have no problem with capital punishment in such cases.

I do not presume, however, that my standards and reasoning should be somehow applied to a completely sovereign nation, who has different or more stringent standards.

All the Australian celebrities making their plea's is likely very much hypocritical, as many of them are probably "social" drug users (at least) themselves. Think about these executions and what price is paid for your next "snort" or "bowlful of fun".

Yeah, it's pretty harsh treatment!

But it's meant to be, to serve as a deterrent.
    And then, the whole question of whether it really is a deterrent......
    davis121 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite911 View Post
    And then, the whole question of whether it really is a deterrent......
    As an example look at prison sentences in the US they seem to be way more than the same crime in the UK....but does it lead to less crimes being commited or less people in prison....personally I cant see that it does ?!

Also as much as the celebrities might be hypocritical so are the Indonesian government asking for clemency for their own citizens on death row, offering money etc
    Last edited by davis121; 28th April 2015 at 21:15.

Well sad to say no last minute reprieve for the Ozzies. RIP

RIP

$500 million in aid a year, $1 billion given after the Tsunami, Australians being the #1 tourists on the island and they still cant commute the death sentence to life in prison!....hopfeully they will now pay for it financially anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by davis121 View Post
    RIP

$500 million in aid a year, $1 billion given after the Tsunami, Australians being the #1 tourists on the island and they still cant commute the death sentence to life in prison!....hopfeully they will now pay for it financially anyway!
    Why should they adjust their laws?
    These guys knew damn well the consequences and they still did it.

I don't wish them to be put to death but you can't blame Indonesia for following their laws
    Tarzan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast