Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Case of unintended consequence...

Case of unintended consequence...

There's an old thread that dealt with the Seattle minimum wage debate...but I couldn't find it.

Now the "new" minimum wage recipients are sqwaking about losing government benefits because of pay raise. 555

Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage, as other cities follow suit | Fox News

For me the bigger unintended consequence will be..

McDonald's hires 7,000 touch-screen cashiers - CNET

20150524_mcd.jpg
    Waharoa, tnlawyer and Robaht like this.

^^ It's happening everywhere - Kmart, Woolworths, etc. WTF are our kids going to do to earn a few $ to get themselves thru Uni.

Our newly elected dickhead state government has just declared another 2 public holidays for next year. And who the fuck do they think is going to pick up the tab................

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    For me the bigger unintended consequence will be..

McDonald's hires 7,000 touch-screen cashiers - CNET

20150524_mcd.jpg
    Does away with the language barrier 555
    soupdragon and LivinLOS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    There's an old thread that dealt with the Seattle minimum wage debate...but I couldn't find it.

Now the "new" minimum wage recipients are sqwaking about losing government benefits because of pay raise. 555

Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage, as other cities follow suit | Fox News
    The thing is......prices are so god damn cheap in the US compared to other countries that prices can be raised to support a raise of min wage....maybe not to 15usd an hour, which is a bit much to me, IMO
    Min wage in BC is 10.25 and I think that is more than fair, even a raise to 12/hr would be sufficient. Slight price raises would counter that .

As for not wanting to lose benefits. Every single TG that works in Vancouver knows the tax thresholds exactly and when they start getting taxed more and lose benefits
    So I wouldn't paint these people as lazy. I know I would be looking to do the same. I've worked many under the table jobs to avoid tax when I was in min wage jobs also

We have had this debate over at TD for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    The thing is......prices are so god damn cheap in the US compared to other countries that prices can be raised to support a raise of min wage....maybe not to 15usd an hour, which is a bit much to me, IMO
    Min wage in BC is 10.25 and I think that is more than fair, even a raise to 12/hr would be sufficient. Slight price raises would counter that .

As for not wanting to lose benefits. Every single TG that works in Vancouver knows the tax thresholds exactly and when they start getting taxed more and lose benefits
    So I wouldn't paint these people as lazy. I know I would be looking to do the same. I've worked many under the table jobs to avoid tax when I was in min wage jobs also

We have had this debate over at TD for ages.
    I swear to god there are a handful of things I would forego due to the price increase. I think the overall effect would be less jobs which is not a good thing especially with an already shaky economy. McD's isn't supposed to be a place where you can make a mortgage payment serving fries and soft serve.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    McD's isn't supposed to be a place where you can make a mortgage payment serving fries and soft serve.
    This is something I have thought many times also.. Theres a lot of reports like "its impossible to rent a decent family home in any state on min wage" but then.. Should you be renting your own family home on min wage ?? Min wage is exactly that, minimums, if thats all your getting, you need to look at your options and sorry, if there are none, maybe thats not the worlds fault ?? Min wage shouldnt be a career, min wage shouldnt be supporting people for life, its a start, a part time job, something you do as a student or young.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 23rd July 2015 at 08:25.
    Pablo, tnlawyer and geir like this.

I swear to god there are a handful of things I would forego due to the price increase. I think the overall effect would be less jobs which is not a good thing especially with an already shaky economy. McD's isn't supposed to be a place where you can make a mortgage payment serving fries and soft serve.
    No but paying people 10/hr in this day and age is not unreasonable.
    As i said, people in the US are spoiled by prices. A raise of .20/.30 an item is not going to break the bank.

Now, 15usd.........that is a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    This is something I have thought many times also.. Theres a lot of reports like "its impossible to rent a decent family home in any state on min wage" but then.. Should you be renting your own family home on min wage ?? Min wage is exactly that, minimums, if thats all your getting, you need to look at your options and sorry, if there are none, maybe thats not the worlds fault ?? Min wage shouldnt be a career, min wage shouldnt be supporting people for life, its a start, a part time job, something you do as a student or young.
    I agree with all that
    But paying someone 10-11/hr is reasonable for both sides

Interesting to note that the Seattle min wage increase is being phased in over a few years. Current min wage is $11/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by BroTiger View Post
    Interesting to note that the Seattle min wage increase is being phased in over a few years. Current min wage is $11/hr.
    That is the procedure in all states.....to phase it in with small businesses having a longer period to do so

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    No but paying people 10/hr in this day and age is not unreasonable.
    As i said, people in the US are spoiled by prices. A raise of .20/.30 an item is not going to break the bank.

Now, 15usd.........that is a bit too much.
    I agree with some raise in minimum wage but not sure about being spoiled by prices in the U.S. Everything I buy is higher than it was 5 years ago. Electric bill, vehicles, food, gasoline, homes, cable TV, bourbon, cigars.....all higher.

I agree with some raise in minimum wage but not sure about being spoiled by prices in the U.S. Everything I buy is higher than it was 5 years ago. Electric bill, vehicles, food, gasoline, homes, cable TV, bourbon, cigars.....all higher.
    I don't mean spoiled in a negative way.....lucky i mean
    And believe, whatever increased prices you are paying it is still considerably less than most western countries.

When the rate is below 1.15, even up to 1.18.......we do most of our purchasing in the US and not Canada
    tnlawyer likes this.

Don't forget the real effects of rising minimum wages. People that never had a company seem to forget that it's a lot of "hidden" costs for the employer (about 40%, depending on where you're from). So a couple of $ may sound like a little, but it's not when you add everything up. Companies have to rise their overheads as well not to make themselves weaker if somethings goes wrong.
    Higher prices hurt export and create higher taxes that again eat most of the pay-rise.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Does away with the language barrier 555
    You are assuming the customers can read 5555555
    tnlawyer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    You are assuming the customers can read 5555555
    thats what the pictures are for.
    tnlawyer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Don't forget the real effects of rising minimum wages.
    Lucky we don't have a minimum wage in Norway then...

And also remember that an employee is also a consumer. Say what you want about unions, but they do actually serve a purpose keeping middle-class salaries up.

Cool - Wayne's joined the party................

Yet that worked in a time without global competition.. Union costs applied only to one country, while china doesnt use them, simply makes you less competitive.

We are not the closed loop system we used to be,

I'm not touting the richest 10%, but all the small businesses that hires people and makes the country running. I'm talking about the extra costs of a product when wages rises drastically. 2-3% is fine, but if I have to pay 10% more in higher wages the product gets almost 20% more expensive. And if that doesn't affect the companies and consumers I'm totally lost.
    BTW, the unions today are a big joke. All the right is settled by law so it doesn't matter if you're in a union or not. It's actually easier to get a higher salary in many jobs if you're not in a union.
    Last edited by geir; 23rd July 2015 at 17:04.
    tnlawyer likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast