Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Calendars

Calendars

Anyone using a good calendar app?

I've used Outlook for years and I like it, now I have a damn smart phone I could really do with the calendar synching with the phone and Outlook can't be persuaded to do it.

Google calendar works with the phone a treat but the damn calendar doesn't work offline.

I need the Outlook offline ability and the Google synching ability. Anyone have an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Anyone using a good calendar app?

I've used Outlook for years and I like it, now I have a damn smart phone I could really do with the calendar synching with the phone and Outlook can't be persuaded to do it.

Google calendar works with the phone a treat but the damn calendar doesn't work offline.

I need the Outlook offline ability and the Google synching ability. Anyone have an answer?
    Do you need more than this when offline?

https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/1340696?hl=en

Use Google Calendar offline on mobile
    There's no offline access for the Google Calendar app. If you don't have any Internet access, you can open the app and see the events that loaded when you were last online.
    While you're offline, you can view events and make changes. However, any changes you made won't sync with your computer or other people's calendars until you're online again.

I use the google calendar app.. I never go offline
    soupdragon and Steve@thaib like this.

I use the calendar on the laptop rather than the phone so definitely need more than the current Google calendar offers.

I use the calendar on the laptop rather than the phone so definitely need more than the current Google calendar offers.
    But the google calendar syncs desktop, phone, even built into the win10 scheduling system..

Once you use all the google tools, like drive, hangouts, etc etc they start all interlinking really well.. I just set a company system up with 4 people in 4 countries, I had to pay for google enterprise or whatever its called now but once I got everyone signed up, and loaded on all their phones and desktops, the hangouts comms and drive for document and project sharing or collaboration is really quite tidy.

EDIT also the way theres a uniform way to switch between personal email and corporate email (and associated comms drive etc accounts) with the icons for each account being standardized all through the material design in android is pretty damn nice too..
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 15th September 2015 at 11:35.

Using outlook but what's important is what email it's synced too. I don't understand why you would want your calendar offline?

I'm in outlook on my laptop which syncs to any of my email accounts. Likewise I'm on standard Samsung app on my note 5 that syncs to all my email calendars too.

I can access these online or offline

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Using outlook but what's important is what email it's synced too. I don't understand why you would want your calendar offline?

I'm in outlook on my laptop which syncs to any of my email accounts. Likewise I'm on standard Samsung app on my note 5 that syncs to all my email calendars too.

I can access these online or offline
    My diary changes a lot, it's more an ambition than a schedule, and it's the one on my laptop that I work to. I often have no internet access so the Google calendar won't work because I can't change it offline.

I've not been able to get outlook to synch to the phone and was thinking that it's an MS/Android incompatibility issue. My e-mail address is an issue as well I suspect, I need to keep my @s-p-f.net email address so can't use Hotmail or anything for work.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    But the google calendar syncs desktop, phone, even built into the win10 scheduling system..
    I need to hang on to my e-mail address though, that can't change, and also the ability to use the calendar offline is key.

I had a look at some of the Google stuff last weekend, forms and documents etc., super impressed with all that. I've never been bothered about synching multiple devices before now but would really like my phone to be a bit more useful.

I need to hang on to my e-mail address though, that can't change, and also the ability to use the calendar offline is key.

I had a look at some of the Google stuff last weekend, forms and documents etc., super impressed with all that. I've never been bothered about synching multiple devices before now but would really like my phone to be a bit more useful.
    I have mail@myrealname.com handled by gmail it used to be free and my personal one is grandfathered but its now 50 usd a year per user. Thats what I set up for my new partnership thing.

As to the on offline.. If its offline it wont sync by definition to other devices, but surely it can still be used offline and will sync as soon as it goes online later ??

Yip outlook works great with an ms exchange account. Pick a provider you can still use the email address you had. Very easy. You can then work offline or online whatever suits

Professional email requires payment but not a huge cost.

As to the on offline.. If its offline it wont sync by definition to other devices, but surely it can still be used offline and will sync as soon as it goes online later ??
    That's the bit that Google won't do, it's read only when offline so you can't use the calendar offline. Very frustrating.

Looks like an MS exchange account is the way forwards for me - cheers Gee

Have to pay for an MS exchange account which is not ideal. Back to the drawing board...

That's the bit that Google won't do, it's read only when offline so you can't use the calendar offline. Very frustrating.
    I dont get the offline bit, as I dont ever use a computer without it being online, unless the nets down..

But I know all kinds of offline tools have been added because of googles chromebooks.. Bacuse they are basically thin client net only type machines so have to be tweaked a bit for more offline usability..

https://support.google.com/calendar/.../1340696?hl=en

Turn on offline access
    Using Chrome on your computer while you're online, open Google Calendar.
    In the top right corner, click Settings settings gear button > Offline.
    Click Install from Web Store.
    In the box that pops up, click Add to Chrome > Add.
    To check that offline access is working, open Google Calendar and click Settings settings gear button in the top right. If you see a green circle with a check mark, all of your events are synced and you can start using your calendar offline.
    To see your calendar when you're offline, open Google Calendar.

Is that not enough ??

Is that not enough ??
    Unfortunately not, no. I work in a lot of sketchy pubs ( think 'shitehole' ) and internet access isn't always there. If I'm sat working and a call comes in or I'm sat with a client I often need to put something in the diary.

I can access the Google calendar so can see what I have in but, as you say, it's a Chrome extension so offline it's read only. Outlook works offline quite happily but getting it to sync with the phone is a pain in the ass and I'm coming to rely on the phone a bit more now so could really do with that diary access as well.

Unfortunately not, no. I work in a lot of sketchy pubs ( think 'shitehole' ) and internet access isn't always there. If I'm sat working and a call comes in or I'm sat with a client I often need to put something in the diary.

I can access the Google calendar so can see what I have in but, as you say, it's a Chrome extension so offline it's read only. Outlook works offline quite happily but getting it to sync with the phone is a pain in the ass and I'm coming to rely on the phone a bit more now so could really do with that diary access as well.
    from the link in my first answer

Turn on offline access

1. Using Chrome on your computer while you're online, open Google Calendar.
    2. In the top right corner, click Settings > Offline.
    3. Click Install from Web Store.
    4. In the box that pops up, click Add to Chrome > Add.
    5. To check that offline access is working, open Google Calendar and click Settings in the top right. If you see a green circle with a check mark, all of your events are synced and you can start using your calendar offline.

To see your calendar when you're offline, open Google Calendar.

OK but dont you have 3G on your phone ??

So just set your laptop to connect through the phones bluetooth connection or even turn on the phones wifi hotspot (that does suck a bit more battery) both of which can be activated and dis-activated with a toggle or widget right on the home screen (and depending on your android are usually just a swipe down anyway)..

Quote Originally Posted by andmel View Post
    from the link in my first answer
    I can't edit it offline though, that's my problem. I can open and view but not add or change stuff.

OK but dont you have 3G on your phone ??

So just set your laptop to connect through the phones bluetooth connection or even turn on the phones wifi hotspot (that does suck a bit more battery) both of which can be activated and dis-activated with a toggle or widget right on the home screen (and depending on your android are usually just a swipe down anyway)..
    4G I think.

If I can persuade it to synch the other way I can just add stuff on my phone and that will update the laptop whenever I go online, that would work too.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ooanmpbb?hl=en

• Works offline! Work from the plane, or over a bad internet connection.
    • Compatible with Google Calendar

Never used it.. but that claims to solve your need.. Dont underestimate chrome apps.. I got my mum a chromebook, great little machine and really does everything (bar skype !!) that I can think my mum needs it for.

Also dont forget.. Google calendar claims it will sync with others like sunbird and outlook etc..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast