Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 1217
Like Tree382Likes

Thread: Brexit

  1. #521
    Senior Member kris-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Yes. But are you sure the majority of the people that voted out really know what they voted on? I seen many articles in Swedish newspaper that talked to people with absolutely no clue. They all voted "to many immigrants and I am patriotic". No clue whatsoever what it really means.
    And how about Cornwall? Cornwall votes for Brexit but doesn't want to lose its millions in EU subsidies | Daily Mail Online

    They sure want to eat the cake and keep it...

    My bet is that when people doesn't see any progress in the next 12 months, you will have huge problems. There is no way you can turn around a ship at the size of UK and satisfy the people. No way.

    But feel free to prove me wrong. I'm sitting here with the popcorn and watching. Hahaha
    That's the case with any election anywhere anytime. And also why referendum, in the UK at least, are so so rare. Think was just 3rd ever??




  2. #522
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Yes. But are you sure the majority of the people that voted out really know what they voted on? I seen many articles in Swedish newspaper that talked to people with absolutely no clue. They all voted "to many immigrants and I am patriotic". No clue whatsoever what it really means.
    And how about Cornwall? Cornwall votes for Brexit but doesn't want to lose its millions in EU subsidies | Daily Mail Online

    They sure want to eat the cake and keep it...

    My bet is that when people doesn't see any progress in the next 12 months, you will have huge problems. There is no way you can turn around a ship at the size of UK and satisfy the people. No way.

    But feel free to prove me wrong. I'm sitting here with the popcorn and watching. Hahaha
    And how many people who voted remain, truly understand the remain implications.. The shrinking euro trade, the restrictive barriers that the EU insists on, the economic costs that the EU ties us into, now of in the future.

    That doesnt make their vote any less relevant or important. Its simply a fact of democracy.

    The country voted, it choose to leave.. Now that process will have to be started, with many hurdles and problems, but started none the less. The real question will be will there be the same EU in 2 years ?? Many other countries want a referendum, a few actually have majority populations who want out too.
    kris-one and Waharoa like this.

  3. #523
    Senior Member kris-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Clutching at straws..
    Perhaps but it makes sense to me as an explanation as to why DC has acted like he has post result. He is banking on shit hitting the fan, Scotland getting another ref etc in these 3 months and leaving it upon his successor to pull the trigger who will then ultimately bottle it.
    LivinLOS likes this.




  4. #524
    Senior Member kris-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Superb.. This guy really can speak well..

    https://www.facebook.com/ozpolitical...5630014762457/

    Slightly similar to an earlier one of his.. But it really is this argument, on trade and co-operation, which is the key issue.
    The guy is a snake like all the rest. Already backing down on the immigration proposals that the whole brexit campaign was built on.




  5. #525
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Why should that be the decision of the UK alone. I hope the EU does what it has the right to do: start the 2 years negociating immediately.
    Speaking about feeling superior, WTF "only Britain can do this". You can sing Rule Britania as much as you like, but don't tell other people they have to sing it.
    It takes two to tango.
    Britain was the worst lover of the EU and now you want out and still lead the tune.
    From far away and with no interest, this is an incredibly powerful statement to listen too, it gives the outsiders (like me) another understanding and it's a very good mechanism for us to gather a real aspect, rather than than the usual propaganda.

  6. #526
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Clutching at straws..
    I guess there are already thousands of bankers in the City clutching at straws at the moment.
    Ad there the British working abroad in the EU and those working for the EU to.
    For British and European economics and industry we will have to wait and see.
    Positive is you will have a lot more jobs with immigration and customs&excise available. Wonder how that will work at the Irish/North-Irish border.

  7. #527
    Senior Member kris-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,803

    Brexit

    Bankers aren't going anywhere. Go to Paris where it's illegal to work long hours or check your work email in the evening? Frankfurt? Possibility but it's still a lot smaller then London, non German banks only have tiny outposts there. We just been blackmailed by HSBC going back to Honkers but ultimately bottles it. The same will happen again.
    LivinLOS likes this.




  8. #528
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Bankers aren't going anywhere. Go to Paris where it's illegal to work long hours or check your work email in the evening? Frankfurt? Possibility but it's still a lot smaller then London, non German banks only have tiny outposts there. We just been blackmailed by HSBC going back to Honkers but ultimately bottles it. The same will happen again.
    Check post 504.
    This was one known effect of brexit. Just amazed they speak about Madrid and not of Paris next to Frankfurt.
    I guess buying or renting a house in London mighr become a lot cheaper.

  9. #529
    Senior Member kris-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,803
    Because Paris is anti work! I worked for a very prestigious French company. Their trading arm not based in Paris but London.. Because the working hours that are prevalent in energy trading are illegal in France. If they suddenly become scrap thousands of anti work legislation then you might have a point.




  10. #530
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I guess buying or renting a house in London mighr become a lot cheaper.
    Have you been on the sauce captain??? thats just nonsense if you know anything about the London property market........few too many pints of bitter by the sounds of it
    Last edited by davis121; 26th June 2016 at 17:54.

  11. #531
    Senior Member kris-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by davis121 View Post
    Have you been on the sauce captain??? thats just nonsense if you know anything about the London property market........few too many pints of bitter by the sounds of it
    A weak pound just made overseas buyers suddenly see London property become much cheaper
    LivinLOS likes this.




  12. #532
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    687
    ^^ Sounds like he is referring to sterling prices

  13. #533
    Senior Member kris-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Check post 504.
    This was one known effect of brexit. Just amazed they speak about Madrid and not of Paris next to Frankfurt.
    I guess buying or renting a house in London mighr become a lot cheaper.
    And let's not forget..the obituary of London was written by many of the same talking heads when we didn't join the single currency and dropped out of the exchange rate mechanism. In the 25 years since we have bossed every other European financial centre.
    LivinLOS likes this.




  14. #534
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    A weak pound just made overseas buyers suddenly see London property become much cheaper
    But with a lot of high income jobs lost in the City I guess that will be good for Rusians and Arabs. Hold on, what about Chinese?

  15. #535
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,157
    Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    The guy is a snake like all the rest. Already backing down on the immigration proposals that the whole brexit campaign was built on.
    Only an idiot would think we will have zero immigration.. And sure, I bet some people may have thought that, but thats to be expected.

    I didnt know about this guy before (hey hes a Euro MP, who does know about them ) but I like his spoken performances.

  16. #536
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,157
    Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    And let's not forget..the obituary of London was written by many of the same talking heads when we didn't join the single currency and dropped out of the exchange rate mechanism. In the 25 years since we have bossed every other European financial centre.
    You start to sound like a chest beating patriot when you list it but.. Best financial center, London.. Best security service MI5.. Etc etc etc.

    The lack of faith in the ability of the british to no only do ok, but to triumph, given the alternatives, is just crazy.. We have always managed it before, your telling me andorra can make trade deals and Britain cant ??

  17. #537
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,157

  18. #538
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    And let's not forget..the obituary of London was written by many of the same talking heads when we didn't join the single currency and dropped out of the exchange rate mechanism. In the 25 years since we have bossed every other European financial centre.
    But, you will be out of Europe, so what is the use having your European (Union) HQ in London?

  19. #539
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    But, you will be out of Europe, so what is the use having your European (Union) HQ in London?
    Because London is the best place for them.. Just watch.

  20. #540
    Senior Member kris-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,803
    Concentration of talent, world class universities (UCL, Kings, LSE, Cass and Imperial all within a mile or two of the city) time zone, language, culture. As nice as Frankfurt is it no way has the same pull. And Paris, just no.

    Furthermore, we are still in Europe. We want to divorce from the political union but will potentially remain in the single market. Will see how the negotiations go.
    LivinLOS likes this.




Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •