Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kris-one

Thread: Cash a cheque in UK without bank account or being a resident

Cash a cheque in UK without bank account or being a resident

Okay, this is seemingly impossible in the UK, so after the great help with the coins question, I thought I'd try.

So I had a Natwest account that I closed since I didn't need it and had to keep reporting it to USA, in retrospect I should have kept it. So it didn't really have any money only 28 pounds, so that was below the threshold for an international wire transfer and I didn't know anyone in the UK to wire it to, they hand-wrote me wrote me a "double-barred" cheque in my name and closed the account. So now the cheque is over 1 year old (I am told by Natwest that cheques don't expire) and since I don't have an account I can't cash it --- even as I head to London for the first time in 8 years! Natwest is unwilling to cash their own cheque, or replace it with someone else's name, or find a way to give me cash. They only say I have to deposit it in a bank account. They suggested I try to cash the pound sterling cheque in Thailand. Hmmm, crack squad they have.

So, any ideas? I can hold onto it in the event I ever have a UK residence again, or open an account such as HSBC in sterling. I think Paypal used to have an option but not sure it exists any longer. The cheque cashing shops allegedly will ask for proof of residency so that seems out, unless I took 50% value maybe. The amount is low, but 28 pounds would probably be enough for a pub lunch and a pint? I'm not going to fret over it, but thought to ask.

Checks go ''stale'' after 6 months. If you present that check at the bank, they may refuse to try and process it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirgezza View Post
    Checks go ''stale'' after 6 months. If you present that check at the bank, they may refuse to try and process it.
    Maybe, but Natwest just told me on the phone that it would never expire since I asked (in the USA I think it is 1-year or something).

Pay it in my a/c and will give you 20 for it ha ha
    Waharoa likes this.

K2
    K1 offer not so bad ...555

https://supportcentre.natwest.com/ap...s-valid-for%3F

With passport and perhaps letter regarding closure of your account - I'd think in branch customer services should pay you, particularly if you go back to the branch you held your account at.
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Pay it in my a/c and will give you 20 for it ha ha
    He says cheque is ''double barred'' which I assume means it is crossed. Has to go through his account. If I'm wrong, I'll give him 21.

Yes, crossed, I forgot what the term was, in France I think it is "barre' " so that's where that came from. I was told I couldn't sign the cheque over to someone since it is crossed and they wouldn't replace the cheque with something else. I could try what K2 said, go to the branch with the letter and cheque and my last bank statement and try. Somehow I doubt that will work but sounds like a shot if I'm in the area!

A crossed cheque is account payee only, so someone else cannot deposit that cheque in their account
    As a non resident in the UK it will be difficult to open a new bank account
    If you have a bank account in Thailand or elsewhere you should in theory be able to deposit that cheque into one of those accounts. But the date on the cheque may be an issue
    Last option is to get a new cheque or some other form of payment from whoever that payer was