Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: What if Money didn't matter?

What if Money didn't matter?

Yes and K2 like this.

Most people work just to survive. If you're not being supported by someone else you cannot go off and do all those exciting things they showed on the clip. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Most people work just to survive. If you're not being supported by someone else you cannot go off and do all those exciting things they showed on the clip. Right?
    the post and video made me look back and think
    i haven't had a life that having endless money would allow.........but i kind of liked my life up to this point.

funny enough, they were showing NYC clips at the beginning and thinking back to when i 1st started working, living pay cheque to pay cheque gave me the fondest memories. oddly enough

funny thing is i want to do a million things, so even if i had endless money and more time, i still wouldn't be able to do them all......same as now

My train of thought has always been... build enough passive income to become self supporting, with another 25% on top for savings & extras. Then go do whatever it is ya want to do... which for me will be volunteer work. I have never been passionate about any work I've ever done... to me it was a simple exchange of my efforts for their cash. A means to an end. I probably did it wrong, but that's how I approached it. If I were born into money maybe I'd have done it differently, but I saw the lack of money my whole life and let me tell ya, it didnt make anyone happy. Having money, in itself, may not bring happiness... but the lack thereof can certainly make ya miserable real damn quick. So I set out to solve the issue of money... came up with a plan to build enough passive income to not need to trade my hours for money, then move on to doing work that makes me feel good because hopefully I'm making the world a better place, one small thing at a time. Whether it's teaching english for free, or animal rescue, or some other cause... that'll be payoff enough. Sure, I'll never write a great song, paint a beautiful painting or design a building that people will marvel at for decades... but I think I'll feel pretty satisfied if I can get in 20 years of travel & volunteer work before I'm gone.

Just the path I chose... if others pursued their passions and it worked out well for them then I'm happy for them...
    K2 and Steve@thaib like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    and let me tell ya, it didnt make anyone happy. Having money, in itself, may not bring happiness... but the lack thereof can certainly make ya miserable real damn quick. .
    Money may not bring happiness.. But its easier to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Daniel Tosh explains it quite well...

#MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

Quote Originally Posted by andmel View Post
    I like that focus on what I call A4 society.............Imagine going to work every day doing something you don't like only to afford a place to live and 3 weeks holiday every year. It just makes me sad, I have to many old friends like that. (and most of them agree on being miserable).
    Last edited by geir; 15th September 2013 at 11:31.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Yeah Yeah.. But all that follow your dreams stuff..

People are dumb.. they will have dumb dreams..
    slampay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    I lake that focus on what I call A4 society.............Imagine going to work every day doing something you don't like only to afford a place to live and 3 weeks holiday every year. It just makes me sad, I have to many old friends like that. (and most of them agree on being miserable).
    And their alternative? People got to eat and shelter. It's the suckers that had kids before they could afford them that really buried themselves.

I love Alan Watts. I've listened to hours of his speeches. He has a lot of good points and always lifts up your spirit, but then after you're done watching you kinda sit there going, "Ok, now what? How does this translate into brick and mortar?" It's great advice, but it feels somewhat divorced from reality.

But then again....

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can,begin it! Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!"
    --Goethe

Personally, speaking for myself, I think laziness and fear are the two biggest things responsible for me not doing what I feel like at the moment. I don't think these are rhetoric or hollow speeches. But then things don't just happen either. You gotta saddle up and go for it. And on the way, ignore the army of nay sayers and doubters and negative nancies, as well as all the internalised version of them inside your own head.

And I love Joseph Campbell as well, he's is anther one of the greats.

RIP old boy

ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    And their alternative? People got to eat and shelter. It's the suckers that had kids before they could afford them that really buried themselves.
    Yeah, guess we need the masses to do the A4 stuff. Most of them can get out of it at some stage, but it's easier to complain than take risks in life.
    I guess if I got kids in the early days I wouldn't be living here now.......(thank god for ability to talk 2 of my ex GFs into abortion)

Yeah, guess we need the masses to do the A4 stuff. Most of them can get out of it at some stage, but it's easier to complain than take risks in life.
    I guess if I got kids in the early days I wouldn't be living here now.......(thank god for ability to talk 2 of my ex GFs into abortion)
    1. Isn't this what I've been saying for ages???

2. Why not? I'm living here!!!!

3. As for your last sentence, that's plain sad, life is not a rehearsal.

I'm a believer, everything is possible, but most people are just to lazy or scared to step outside the box.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Life is not anything at all. It's a completely open sandbox with no rules whatsoever except what we superimpose on it. So live and let live I say.

I'm a believer, everything is possible, but most people are just to lazy or scared to step outside the box.
    That's exactly what I said earlier about myself. In my own case I know this to be true.

1. Isn't this what I've been saying for ages???

2. Why not? I'm living here!!!!

Do you really think I would leave my kids in Norway, or bring them over here for education??? If I had kids I would never do that to them.
    I moved here when I was 32, your kids was grown up when you moved here.
    As for the last sentence it worked well as a wind up......that's what it was meant to be

Teleport here..

Or start a Patong baht bus

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Teleport here..

Or start a Patong baht bus
    Patong baht bus is a little ambitious

I'd start with one of these and work my way up.

Follow your dreams!

Do you really think I would leave my kids in Norway, or bring them over here for education??? If I had kids I would never do that to them.
    I moved here when I was 32, your kids was grown up when you moved here.
    As for the last sentence it worked well as a wind up......that's what it was meant to be
    No wind up intended, in fact cannot even see what you mean by this??

Yes, Geir I would bring my children here for education, good enough quality education can be found, then consider the benefits living here, these far outweigh living back home, if not why are we here??? so if its good for us, why wouldn't it be good for them?

As for commenting on being 32, not so sure that's really the point, is it? I didn't move to America because my kids were coming up to exams, I didn't move to Spain, because I thought that I was only tempted by it being warmer. I was wrong, what I was really doing was finding reasons why not to do something, this is what most of us do, most of the time, it just takes a while to realise it. Which is why my last sentence is not a wind up, its what I believe.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Yes, Geir I would bring my children here for education, good enough quality education can be found, then consider the benefits living here, these far outweigh living back home, if not why are we here??? so if its good for us, why wouldn't it be good for them?
    Because we have already gown up, withing our own developed society.. Which gave us the mindset, ability, and attitude and most of all opportunity.. to make enough money to retire here..

You dont really think that a place thats great for older guys, also HAS to be great for kids or teens do you ?? I mean as so many people post the vast mojority of the guys are here because of the women, in one shape or form.. How does that apply to a kid ??

Also if its so great for everyone.. where the single female expats ??

No wind up intended, in fact cannot even see what you mean by this??

As for commenting on being 32, not so sure that's really the point, is it? I didn't move to America because my kids were coming up to exams, I didn't move to Spain, because I thought that I was only tempted by it being warmer. I was wrong, what I was really doing was finding reasons why not to do something, this is what most of us do, most of the time, it just takes a while to realise it. Which is why my last sentence is not a wind up, its what I believe.
    I was talking about my "abortion sentence" as a wind up.
    For me moving to a 3rd world country with small kids is a big NoNO. I don't think a society with low moral and ethics is the place to bring kids. You brought you kids here after they got educated in the west, with western standards and moral. Sounds all good to me.
    The environment have a deep impact on kids and I would considering it as failure as a parent to take kids away from a good school in the west to a place in THailand. Bringing kids to US or Spain is a different story, at least these countries have similar values as us.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast