Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 130
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Apple worlds most valuable brand

  1. #1
    Senior Member Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    829

    Apple worlds most valuable brand

    This should make a few posters on here happy 55555

    "Apple named the most valuable brand in the world overtaking Coca-Cola to take top spot for the first time
    Maker of the iPhone tops global list of valuable brands at $93.3billion
    Coca-Cola falls behind Apple and Google after 13 years at number one
    American technology firms dominate list compiled annually by Interbrand


    Apple has overtaken Coca-Cola to become the world's most valuable brand, according to a report released today.
    The crowning of the creator of the iPhone as the leading global brand is striking testimony to the increasing power of technology compared to traditional powerhouses such as car companies.
    Google came second in the list compiled by consultancy Interbrand, with Coca-Cola, IBM and Microsoft rounding out the top five.


    Coke, which has become an icon of globalisation and consumer society, has been top of the list every year since it was first published in 2000.
    But Apple's devotion to sleek design and Google's almost universal popularity as the world's top search engine helped them surpass the 127-year-old drink for the first time.


    Despite the death of Apple's visionary founder Steve Jobs in 2011, the firm's brand value has continued to rise, according to Interbrand, soaring 28 per cent in a year to reach $98.3billion.
    Google's brand is worth $93.3billion - up 34 per cent on last year - with Coca-Cola worth $79.2billion.

    When the Interbrand list debuted in 2000, Apple occupied 36th place with a brand value of $6.6billion - behind even the likes of Kodak.
    But the introduction of the iPod, iPad and iPhone - which now accounts for one in 10 of all phones sold worldwide - has increased the value of its brand by more than 15 times.
    Paying tribute to Apple's sucess, Interbrand CEO Jez Frampton said: 'Every so often, a company changes our lives - not just with its products, but with its ethos. This is why, following Coca-Cola’s 13-year run at the top of Best Global Brands, Apple now ranks #1.'
    Not only does Apple have the world's best brand, it is also the most valuable company in the U.S., with a market capitalisation of more than $400billion.


    McDonald's, another firm considered to be an icon of American consumer culture, came in seventh on this year's list.
    The only brands in the top 10 to come from outside the U.S. were Samsung, based in South Korea, and Japanese carmaker Toyota.
    The top European brands were Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Louis Vuitton and H&M.
    Among British firms, the most valuable brand is apparently HSBC, which occupied 32nd place on Interbrand's list, with Burberry, Johnnie Walker and Smirnoff the UK's only other contributions to the top 100.


    The fastest riser was Facebook, whose brand value increased by 43 per cent to propel it to no. 52 on the list.
    By contrast, the value of Nokia's brand tumbled by two thirds in just one year after the firm was sold to Microsoft, taking it from 19th place to 57th.
    The fall of Nokia, along with other tech firms such as Yahoo! and Blackberry, is a reminder that the value of brands can change rapidly in the volatile sector, implying that Apple and Google may not stay at the top for too long.
    The total value of all the brands in Interbrand's top 100 came to $1.5trillion, 8.4 per cent higher than last year despite the continuing effects of the global financial crisis and subsequent recession."
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

  2. #2
    Senior Member Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    829
    "Brand value, according to Interbrand’s methodology page, is calculated using a number of factors, such as requirements that 30 percent of a company’s revenues must come from outside its home region, that it must have a presence on at least three continents, and that it’s expected to be profitable for the foreseeable future."

    Interbrand - Best Global Brands 2013 - Methodology
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

  3. #3
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    the world's fixation with brands......

    here's the Top companies list...you will see Apple well down the list...and probably be surprised how many of the big ones are chinese

    The World?s Biggest Public Companies - Forbes

  4. #4
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    the world's fixation with brands......

    here's the Top companies list...you will see Apple well down the list...and probably be surprised how many of the big ones are chinese

    The World?s Biggest Public Companies - Forbes
    but this is not what they are talking about
    they are quantifying what their brand is worth not how much the company is worth
    although quite arbitrary, it is valid

  5. #5
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    I only have a single apple product... an iPod for listening when lifting.

    I wont do Mac or iPads or iPhones... just feels to proprietary and cultish to me.
    Dupree likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    but this is not what they are talking about
    they are quantifying what their brand is worth not how much the company is worth
    although quite arbitrary, it is valid
    I understand that...my point being who gives a flying fuck what your brand is worth...its the bottom line that counts at the end of the day

  7. #7
    Senior Member billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,022
    I'm not much of an IT guy...really, I don know sh*t....that's why I love Apple: easy to operate and hard to get viruses etc. If it is a cult the I guess I belong to it.
    Last edited by billpay; 1st October 2013 at 17:44.
    WarProfiteer likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    With FB stock above 50USD and user base steadily climbing ... I can see them joining the top 10 soon

    Whats the calculation of 'most valuable' based on?
    I think user base has only been stable in the US after Galaxy S3. Even there Apple is starting to get worried. Not that they're about to be matched by Samsung anytime soon, but they're given a good run for their money now.

    Google will be a force to be reckoned with in the next decade for them.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I only have a single apple product... an iPod for listening when lifting.

    I wont do Mac or iPads or iPhones... just feels to proprietary and cultish to me.
    It's called the iHerd
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

  10. #10
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Not sure if I can follow this? IMO, the Brand is the most important and valuable thing a company has. If your brand is damaged, that means a lot of revenue loss.
    If your brand is severely breached or damaged, this could mean going out of business.

    Not sure about the right way to calculate the value of the brand in this research, but it's the brand reputation that sells ...
    Spoken like a marketer...555

    No doubting Brand is a very important part of a business but its simple really Rob....brand value is only one ingredient in the success of a company.....no use having the best known/most valuable brand in the world if you are giving it away....it costs more money to make it than you get for selling it..your distribution channels can't get it to the market on time or your customers aren't paying

    your scenarios above....a damaged or breached brand...all will be reflected/revealed in the EOY figures...Brand awareness is nice....turning it into profit is the key to business

    In my former business i had many colleagues who despite being shit hot 'brands" went out of business because they had no idea how to run their day to day affairs....I myself nearly went down the tube because a few companies wouldn't pay me on projects all coming together at the one time despite being the busiest/most successful sales wise that I had ever been in my life

    running a business is holistic...you need to manage every aspect...accounts receivable is not sexy but I would have been out of business too if I didn't hire the best in the biz to rein mine back in just before it was too late

    Apple sits 15 on the Top Companies list I posted.....do you think anyone above them wants to swap because Apple has a sexier brand
    Last edited by nelsonone; 1st October 2013 at 18:44.

  11. #11
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Okay, but that all together sounds already so much better than just your previous one-liner 'who gives a flying duck about brand value', which I commented on ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    I understand that...my point being who gives a flying fuck what your brand is worth...its the bottom line that counts at the end of the day

    actually it was a 2 liner....with the emphasis on the bottom line comment

    as i said in my expanded post...doesn't matter if you have the most valued brand in the world if you are not making a profit from it

  12. #12
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    I understand that...my point being who gives a flying fuck what your brand is worth...its the bottom line that counts at the end of the day
    of course your brand makes a huge difference
    it is what drives sales at these companies
    when you can get a Coke in some remote African village, that is brand recognition

  13. #13
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Spoken like a marketer...555

    No doubting Brand is a very important part of a business but its simple really Rob....brand value is only one ingredient in the success of a company.....no use having the best known/most valuable brand in the world if you are giving it away....it costs more money to make it than you get for selling it..your distribution channels can't get it to the market on time or your customers aren't paying

    your scenarios above....a damaged or breached brand...all will be reflected/revealed in the EOY figures...Brand awareness is nice....turning it into profit is the key to business

    In my former business i had many colleagues who despite being shit hot 'brands" went out of business because they had no idea how to run their day to day affairs....I myself nearly went down the tube because a few companies wouldn't pay me on projects all coming together at the one time despite being the busiest/most successful sales wise that I had ever been in my life

    running a business is holistic...you need to manage every aspect...accounts receivable is not sexy but I would have been out of business too if I didn't hire the best in the biz to rein mine back in just before it was too late

    Apple sits 15 on the Top Companies list I posted.....do you think anyone above them wants to swap because Apple has a sexier brand
    but none of what you are saying makes any sense to this subject
    a companies brand is worth something, and i think you could say the companies on the list are driven by their brand and quite successful because of it
    as Up2u says, it is not easy to quantify but it is an important aspect for these international brands or they would just be some local company

    a company having a larger market cap/worth is absolutely irrelevant, especially since the companies you listed aren't brand driven companies

  14. #14
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    actually it was a 2 liner....with the emphasis on the bottom line comment

    as i said in my expanded post...doesn't matter if you have the most valued brand in the world if you are not making a profit from it
    but in international brand names/companies, a lot of the revenues are derived from the brand name recognition

    i think you misinterpeted the article and railed against brand names, now just fighting your way out of a corner 555

  15. #15
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    i think you misinterpeted the article and railed against brand names, now just fighting your way out of a corner 555
    rubbish....my point from the start was that a brand is useless without the business sense to profit from it

    and as you rightly point out there are 14 more successful companies (than apple) on my list that do not rely on brand names....so thanks for making my point

  16. #16
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,095
    Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Okay, but that all together sounds already so much better than just your previous one-liner 'who gives a flying duck about brand value', which I commented on ;-)

    Sure enough, holistically there's a lot more to a successful business.
    Let's say you've got all the backoffice stuff, R&D, finances etc. in order, if your brand doesn't resonate with the
    public, no one is going to chose your product. There is just too much choice and tough competition.

    But yeah, brand alone doesn't cut the cake ... I mean, Kodak was a great brand ... until they were not.

    Cars maybe one of the worst, where so much is linked to the brand and image ...
    Isn't branding a bit like "form" in sport? You mention Kodak, but what about Blackberry or Blockbuster Video stores... good brands that went bad quick...

    it's more about how companies adapt, as one product slows another product replaces it. Look at Microsoft, left behind by Apple and Google and playing catch up now. It is about the bottom line... and often that bottom line is about making sure you aren't reliant on one or two brands. Like how Apple has suffered in the last year because the rest of the brands have caught up to it's iPhone and iPad?

    Isn't Nelson just saying Branding isn't everything?

  17. #17
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    rubbish....my point from the start was that a brand is useless without the business sense to profit from it

    and as you rightly point out there are 14 more successful companies (than apple) on my list that do not rely on brand names....so thanks for making my point
    no it's not! comparing what you are comparing does not make sense in this scenario
    most of the companies you listed are banks, or commodities and Volkswagen
    you could say that some of the banks derive some of their profits from brand recognition, but not nearly as much as an Apple or a Coca-Cola and that is the whole point of quantifying the value of the brand
    people choose to do business with banks for all sorts of reasons, not just the brand name of the bank
    Commodities-Chevron for example. sure, some people may prefer to use Chevron for gas on a personal basis, but their brand will not drive the revenues like a retail brand will
    Apple's brand brings in more revenue than a bank's or a gas/electric companies would

    That is the whole point of the poll, it is not to judge who has a bigger value but trying to quantify what the brand brings to the bottom line.
    Dupree likes this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,095
    Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Yes, we already agreed that Branding isn't everything. But Nelson said that brand isn't duck all, which is where the discussion started.

    The remaining are business fundamentals, which should be all in place to push the brand and market it successfully ...
    I like threads like this. There will be various counter-argument posts... and eventually everyone will agree... everyone was right.. and that was what they meant in the first place... ;-)

    Because actually, Nelson is right, Uby is right and marc26 is right... it's just an argument now about how right each of you are... 55

  19. #19
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Isn't Nelson just saying Branding isn't everything?
    but that argument is not relevant to this list

    the list is applying a value to what the brand brings to the bottom line

    and the fact he started his argument with the "world's fixation to brands" proves the list's point exactly!

  20. #20
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Because actually, Nelson is right, Uby is right and marc26 is right... it's just an argument now about how right each of you are... 55
    but Nelson is wrong, actually
    what he is saying has absolutely nothing to do with the list

    it is 2 seperate things

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •