Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cost of food where you live

cost of food where you live

to start it off there's this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dS8qjJ4lQ0

So Ethiopia is the place to be.

Had a chat with my mum on the phone today and realized that a lot of normal food is cheaper in Norway than here. Vegetables and pork are about the same price. All kind of western stuff like sauces and pasta is cheaper in Norway.
    Think the food prices here is a bit over the top at the moment, fucking 8 Baht for one tiny lime.
    A few years back I could go to Tesco and bring out 3-4 bags for 5-600 Baht, these days I got a feeling I'm spending 15-1600 Baht for the same thing.
    I never really look into prices and I just buy what I want, but my feeling is that the food prices must at least have doubled in the last few years.

I know the lime price as it affects my G&Ts 555

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Had a chat with my mum on the phone today and realized that a lot of normal food is cheaper in Norway than here. Vegetables and pork are about the same price. All kind of western stuff like sauces and pasta is cheaper in Norway.
    Think the food prices here is a bit over the top at the moment, fucking 8 Baht for one tiny lime.
    A few years back I could go to Tesco and bring out 3-4 bags for 5-600 Baht, these days I got a feeling I'm spending 15-1600 Baht for the same thing.
    I never really look into prices and I just buy what I want, but my feeling is that the food prices must at least have doubled in the last few years.

I know the lime price as it affects my G&Ts 555
    i've been saying it for years that food prices are not that much cheaper in Thailand than US, with the exception of great street food
    go eat a casual farang lunch and it will cost you 300baht, same or even cheaper in US
    eat a proper dinner at a nice restaurant in Thailand, will be as expensive or more than in US

Food in restaurants in Norway are still 3-4 times more expensive than here, but the super markets are cheap.
    So we can't use cheap food and drinks as a reason to move here anymore :-)

Lime.. I also noticed that. I paid 7,5 in the banzaan market a few days ago. I thought i had been fucked over, but carrefour/bigc was also 7 a piece when i went there later.
    I know i paid 3 Bt last year in Tesco.

similar thing in switzerland. food at the supermarket is often similar priced to LOS. eating at a restaurant is another story. everywhere i travel to i get the feeling that it's cheaper than in switzerland.
    Money can't buy love but it can rent a pretty close imitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Iltis View Post
    similar thing in switzerland. food at the supermarket is often similar priced to LOS. eating at a restaurant is another story. everywhere i travel to i get the feeling that it's cheaper than in switzerland.
    Try a decent restaurant in Norway........don't think you get any meal for less than 1500-2000 THB

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Try a decent restaurant in Norway........don't think you get any meal for less than 1500-2000 THB
    but what type of restaurant you talking about?

a nice place similar to say Silk or a casual restaurant like the restaurant at Summer Breeze?

i think higher end restaurants can be more expensive in Thailand than in North America

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post

a nice place similar to say Silk or a casual restaurant like the restaurant at Summer Breeze?

i think higher end restaurants can be more expensive in Thailand than in North America
    Thats partly it.. In the UK I went out for 'pub grub' and carvery options a few times.. While it was about similar to CM it was probably cheaper than phuket for similar quality (like a basic western serving restaurant). In fact the carvery sunday option was cheaper and better quality by a long long shot (loss leader to get people in the pub probably). Stepping up the higher end, of which theres not a lot in the rural south west I would say.. this becomes more obvious again. Trying to find decent higher end dining, a nice multi course menu in a place with ambiance, nice cutlery and table cloths, a good drinks menu.. I think the costs here add up, I like an italian in town, and we have eaten there a bunch, its good food but hardly fine dining and regularly its 1000 - 2000 per head depending on if we drink wines. Thats closing in on 40 - 50 GBP per person at the upper end and like I say its ok but only a bistro type level not WOW.

But the low end, where you can get a plate of rice or cheap Thai food.. That segment of the market in the UK is all fish and chip takeaways, burgers, kebabs, fried chicken places.. Just kind of shit food I dont eat if I can help it.. Still the price differences are not so large any more. Hell a burger king double whopper meal in Thailand is close to 400b now, thats almost 10 GBP (at least 8) for a damn burger. I know the bakery in town just round the corner from my mums house does fresh filled rolls, thick cut ham, eggs, quality cheddar cheese, at a price I couldnt get the same here. But what I do have, close to my house they have a food court, 20 or 30 different food combination options, the buffet khao geang stall, I can eat a fast simple healthy small / snack meal there for 50b and a filling couple of options for 80 or 100 with an ice tea. Thats probably near impossible in the UK.

The other thing is what your getting.. Health and safety checks.. Meals with meat portions not bones and tendons.. Staff that have health insurance and sick pay, maternal leave, etc.. Wage costs at the low end have a different safety net.

I used to spend near $1000 a month on groceries. (2 fridges and 2 pantries) now my boys are all working and in uni (one is in another city) my bill is closer to $300. Maybe a coincidence, but my booze bill has jumped exponentially!55

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post

That would be a casual/low end restaurant. Eating out is extremely expensive in norway. Especially if you add some alcohol. The quality of food is also generally poor.

I used to work in the UK for a while back, and i would say restaurants there are maybe one 3rd of noggie pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    That would be a casual/low end restaurant. Eating out is extremely expensive in norway. Especially if you add some alcohol. The quality of food is also generally poor.

I used to work in the UK for a while back, and i would say restaurants there are maybe one 3rd of noggie pricing.
    yeah, i know a beer can cost 11-12usd, so i figured food not far behind

That would be just a normal walk in restaurant......A place like Silk would probably cost 3-4000 baht for a meal....(no drinks)

Loving Singapore prices. I eat at the local food/hakwer center twice a day - meals ranging from S$3 to S$6 (1.50 - 3.00, 70B to 140B) which is cheaper than most places in Thailand for the quantity and quality. Beer is S$5.50 for a 660ml Tiger, which is definitely better than anywhere in Patong/tourist places.

Restaurants and bars/clubs are a completely different story though and seem to cater for western/tourists, and if a girlie joint then even more expensive in some places.

Can I just mention if you are going to compare prices, try doing so on a like for like basis??? Firstly compare local food to local food, not local food to foreigners food, import tax, noting its not locals food, needing maybe different chefs on higher salaries etc????.

Local food in Thailand is cheaper than my experience of locals food in the UK. Foreign (western style) food is not too far off the same price as the same food in the UK, couple of obvious reasons for this that seem to be over looked here???

Want to save money????? take up smoking, loads cheaper here!!!!don't buy a foreign made car though, funnily enough they are dearer here as well!!!!55555

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Can I just mention if you are going to compare prices, try doing so on a like for like basis??? Firstly compare local food to local food, not local food to foreigners food, import tax, noting its not locals food, needing maybe different chefs on higher salaries etc????.
    But when I go out in England eating indian / italian / arab / persian / greek / etc.. Is that 'local' food ?? No...

And mate.. I dont know how long its been since you went back but I had a superb as much as you can eat carvery, and a pint for like 8 quid on a sunday.. Loads of meats, pork with crackling and roast beef, multiple serves, a buffet of bits, a desert thing I didnt even get into, and a pint.. For what ?? 350b these days..

So comparing like for like thats not like a 35b snack sized plate of chicken and rice either.

don't buy a foreign made car though, funnily enough they are dearer here as well!!!!55555
    Or a domestic made one either.. Thai made fortuna is like 35k GBP here with current exchange rates. Thats closing in on land cruiser money.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    But when I go out in England eating indian / italian / arab / persian / greek / etc.. Is that 'local' food ?? No...

But is that local food to Thailand?

And mate.. I dont know how long its been since you went back

February this year

but I had a superb as much as you can eat carvery, and a pint for like 8 quid on a sunday.. Loads of meats, pork with crackling and roast beef, multiple serves, a buffet of bits, a desert thing I didnt even get into, and a pint.. For what ?? 350b these days..

Which would be 340bht in Kamala and we are still not comparing like for like, west country vs tourist mecca? which is my point. This is bog standard English grub, why do we think it should be cheaper in Thailand?, how about comparing bog standard every mans English food with bog standard every mans Thai food, 350 baht??? instead of bog standard English mans food with foreign mans grub in a foreign country, all ingredients grown here locally? buy a lot of Thai food for 350bht??

So comparing like for like thats not like a 35b snack sized plate of chicken and rice either.
    How about considering I can feed a family of 4 a two course meal which fills everyone adequately for 160 bht bought from an outside source not cooked at home. Where can we do so in the UK?

I initially baulked at the prices of food and drink in the UK, then realised food was actually at an acceptable cost, whentryingto compare equal foodstuffs, then realised when comparing actually like for like, half the ingredients were not grown in Thailand but imported, cooked by a farang chef not on 10k a month but lots of k's more a month.

Then I started looking at drinks, coffee was a bargain, about the same price but twice the sized cups, does Thailand grow their own coffee? close to a coffee growing nation? nah but about the same price, then alcohol, now we really got some differences, the bevoir was brewed in the UK but more expensive than Thailand, tax was my conclusion.

I'm not bigging up Thailand, just think maybe with this little thread we are not comparing like for like, it is easy to think we are if we compare a farang food here versus back home, but we are not in farang land here.

How about considering I can feed a family of 4 a two course meal which fills everyone adequately for 160 bht bought from an outside source not cooked at home. Where can we do so in the UK?

I initially baulked at the prices of food and drink in the UK, then realised food was actually at an acceptable cost, whentryingto compare equal foodstuffs, then realised when comparing actually like for like, half the ingredients were not grown in Thailand but imported, cooked by a farang chef not on 10k a month but lots of k's more a month.

Then I started looking at drinks, coffee was a bargain, about the same price but twice the sized cups, does Thailand grow their own coffee? close to a coffee growing nation? nah but about the same price, then alcohol, now we really got some differences, the bevoir was brewed in the UK but more expensive than Thailand, tax was my conclusion.

I'm not bigging up Thailand, just think maybe with this little thread we are not comparing like for like, it is easy to think we are if we compare a farang food here versus back home, but we are not in farang land here.
    as Sefton said, to me i don't have to compare like for like because i have to compare it to the food i want to eat
    wether that it thai, farang or whatever
    no matter where i am in the world, i am going to want to eat different types of food. i am not going to limit myself to the local food
    at home i eat sushi, japanese, thai, chinese, korean, italian vietnamese, local, etc...

i would want to do the same anywhere i lived, I am not going to be on just a local diet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast