Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: UK Pension Reforms (2013)

K2

UK Pension Reforms (2013)

It's probably academic for anyone my age or younger as I fully exect complete collapse of all social welfare within the next 10/20 years, but clearly a bit of an anti-foriegn bride thing going on in the UK ... will other nations follow this example?

Rise in men marrying Thai brides 'behind foreign pensions increase' - Telegraph
    Its My Life .....!

Thai brides don't vote....easy target to score brownie ponts with the UKIP rabble.

So are these the Thai widows of UK expats that are continuing to claim due to a Transfer On Death clause?

PGC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    So are these the Thai widows of UK expats that are continuing to claim due to a Transfer On Death clause?
    Got it in one....and it's 3500 per year not per month. Can mean that you never once contributed anything to the UK and still would have got a pension. But the change will effect everybody regardless of where they live. This is just spin to stop UK based widows moaning too much about it.
    The Bar or the Beach......Make mine a Guinness

Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Got it in one....and it's 3500 per year not per month. Can mean that you never once contributed anything to the UK and still would have got a pension. But the change will effect everybody regardless of where they live. This is just spin to stop UK based widows moaning too much about it.
    Interesting considering the UK has let so many immigrants enter and is providing for them. And then an expat Brit marries a Thai that's never taken any welfare from the UK and is denied her husbands earned benefits.
    Last edited by Dupree; 8th May 2013 at 00:49.

^ immigration is becoming a pretty important issue right now with voters here. An anti Euro and anti immigration party just won quite a lot of votes in local council elections and has scared the Conservatives. Hence this little policy which is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. They are trying to win back some voters who turned.

Talking about Thai wives and UKIP....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-THAILAND.html

PGC
    Interesting considering the UK has let so many immigrants enter and is providing for them. And then a Brit marries a Thai that's never taken any welfare from the UK and is denied her husbands earned benefits.
    Mnnnn...I was chatting with a UK Thai Restaurant owner who said it was getting harder to employ Thai's as they would only work for cash, so as not to lose benefits. As Kris-one said it's become an issue, because there is now a credible ??? party who are easier to support without lending support to the neo Nazi parties like the BNP.

Mnnnn...I was chatting with a UK Thai Restaurant owner who said it was getting harder to employ Thai's as they would only work for cash, so as not to lose benefits. As Kris-one said it's become an issue, because there is now a credible ??? party who are easier to support without lending support to the neo Nazi parties like the BNP.
    I meant an expat Brit marrying a Thai in Thailand.

PGC
    I meant an expat Brit marrying a Thai in Thailand.
    True...I'm of the belief that the UK should offer benefits to another countries citizens in the same measure that they offer those benefits to UK citizens. Should sort out the benefit system pretty sharpish.

Ahh Yes- reciprocity!

The basis of diplomatic relations.

My wife would get nothing of my social security unless she (we) lived in the US a certain number of years, 10 I believe.

Interesting considering the UK has let so many immigrants enter and is providing for them. And then an expat Brit marries a Thai that's never taken any welfare from the UK and is denied her husbands earned benefits.
    But the immigrant is supposed to work and be a member of society in the UK..

I know I know.. How many do etc... But it is a bit different paying money out to people who have both perhaps never paid a penny and never even set foot in the country.

True...I'm of the belief that the UK should offer benefits to another countries citizens in the same measure that they offer those benefits to UK citizens. Should sort out the benefit system pretty sharpish.
    I am of an even more radical stripe.. I can imagine a way to reinvent the immigration system to be a much greater benefit to the host country offering its jobs and opportunity.. Yet still offer a more open border solution.

1) all applicants must lodge a set fee to cover repatriation before coming.
    2) all applicants must have fully paid up medical insurance (would also weed out people with major diseases that need treating as the insurance would test).
    3) no benefits at all, none whatsoever, for the first say 3 - 5 years. You work, you support yourself, or you go.
    4) any major crime, not a parking ticket, but any serious offense.. You go.

After the initial grace period or 3 - 5 years, with a solid tax history paid.. Open up perks, they deserve some, they have paid some.. Maybe medical is on the NHS, maybe theres x amount of weeks unemployment / housing.. But only as a temporary measure.. Months not years. The system would need to be very hard nosed about it, its not a compassionate system, its a realist one.

This would attract people who want to work and get ahead, it would attract those who want to make use of the opportunity and better their lives.. It would discourage bludgers and hangers on, there would be no appeal to them to come, theres no free ride. By removing the perks to everyone who arrives, it would even be possible to be more open, the ones coming wouldnt have a cost associated and would be contributing taxes. We would attract more workers, more educated, more people who are net positives.

^So only people with say a year's living expenses will be allowed in?

^So only people with say a year's living expenses will be allowed in?
    A year might be a bit much if they had demonstrable skills.. I dont see 3 months being so extreme tho. Why shouldnt someone be expected to support themselves ??

Thats for immigration not tourism.. That system would allow a much more open immigration policy as a balance for the pain of sending people who 'fail' the system, criminals, those who dont work, etc.. Back..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    A year might be a bit much if they had demonstrable skills.. I dont see 3 months being so extreme tho. Why shouldnt someone be expected to support themselves ??

Thats for immigration not tourism.. That system would allow a much more open immigration policy as a balance for the pain of sending people who 'fail' the system, criminals, those who dont work, etc.. Back..
    With your system we'd have no Pyramids, railroads or clothing...55

I like this LIL.
    Extend it out to all residents -benefits based on tax paid qualifiers.
    That would also help sort out the black economy.

Cool

I don't know, seems a bit radical, having to actually pay your way and not live of the government.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I am of an even more radical stripe.. I can imagine a way to reinvent the immigration system to be a much greater benefit to the host country offering its jobs and opportunity.. Yet still offer a more open border solution.

1) all applicants must lodge a set fee to cover repatriation before coming.
    2) all applicants must have fully paid up medical insurance (would also weed out people with major diseases that need treating as the insurance would test).
    3) no benefits at all, none whatsoever, for the first say 3 - 5 years. You work, you support yourself, or you go.
    4) any major crime, not a parking ticket, but any serious offense.. You go.

After the initial grace period or 3 - 5 years, with a solid tax history paid.. Open up perks, they deserve some, they have paid some.. Maybe medical is on the NHS, maybe theres x amount of weeks unemployment / housing.. But only as a temporary measure.. Months not years. The system would need to be very hard nosed about it, its not a compassionate system, its a realist one.

This would attract people who want to work and get ahead, it would attract those who want to make use of the opportunity and better their lives.. It would discourage bludgers and hangers on, there would be no appeal to them to come, theres no free ride. By removing the perks to everyone who arrives, it would even be possible to be more open, the ones coming wouldnt have a cost associated and would be contributing taxes. We would attract more workers, more educated, more people who are net positives.
    Actually include no access to public housing

But then there is the consideration of voters. The recent decade immigration explosion was due to a secret labour party policy paper that outlined attracting low grade / class immigrants as they felt this was the best way to maintain and grow their votes. How fucked is that? Amazing in democratic free first world UK that a political party puts a whole country's well being at risk to maintain its power base. We are now paying the piper for that secret policy. Enoch Powell was quite a visionary!!!

Big wake up calls this week with UKIP winning lots of local authority seats (they were previously labeled the luny party) Big rush today by the conservatives to emphasise changes in the queens speech to highlight restrictions on immigration

Many of the UK public (me as well still paying huge tax) have had enough of it................I'm all for Sefton's suggestions and retrospectively ship out the ones here who don't qualify
    Last edited by Geespot; 9th May 2013 at 00:26.

We had 1,000 people stepping off fishing boats last week.
    Christmas Island locals say they can be seen on the quay with laptops, briefcases, mobile phones and multi denominations of cash, (but no passport or ID documents of course). They can be seen about six weeks later in the suburbs living in houses that have been found for them, driving cars that have been provided to them (No driving licence needed of course).
    Not allowed to work? Don't really need to, but there's always casual work and they are quickly taken on. Paying tax? You must be joking.......The real refugees are still in some Asian or African UN shitehole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast