Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: Bye bye UK Property, where to now though ?

Bye bye UK Property, where to now though ?

Morning Gents,

The UK announced Capital Gains Tax to be implemented (5th April 2015) on UK property for non-Residents so I'm selling a condo or 2 in the UK whilst I have a tax free chance.

So where to now, I have no idea, don't follow markets so a few pointers would really help.

I'm Thailand based but would like to keep the Investments anywhere safe ie Singapore, HK, Channel Islands etc.
    Pay as little tax as legally possible.
    Maybe split the money from the UK into 5 or 10 investments.
    Would maybe take 50% of each Investment's profits annually for living expenses and re-invest the rest/remaining 50% back into the investment.
    Risk, Would spread ie Low Medium High ...but not too High !

Cheers,
    Minister.

I have often thought I should diversify my R/E away from just stateside stuff, but I havent found anywhere suitable with regards to long term stability, affordability, tax status, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by SLeesy View Post
    Morning Gents,

The UK announced Capital Gains Tax to be implemented (5th April 2015) on UK property for non-Residents so I'm selling a condo or 2 in the UK whilst I have a tax free chance.

So where to now, I have no idea, don't follow markets so a few pointers would really help.

I'm Thailand based but would like to keep the Investments anywhere safe ie Singapore, HK, Channel Islands etc.
    Pay as little tax as legally possible.
    Maybe split the money from the UK into 5 or 10 investments.
    Would maybe take 50% of each Investment's profits annually for living expenses and re-invest the rest/remaining 50% back into the investment.
    Risk, Would spread ie Low Medium High ...but not too High !

Cheers,
    Minister.

Wont this be extended to other UK investments - check the fine print carefully - the devil is in the detail.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Wont this be extended to other UK investments - check the fine print carefully - the devil is in the detail.
    Capital gains tax is dependant on the investment.

Not many people know that although precious metals normally attract capital gains, if you buy UK sovereigns, which are technically legal tender, you dont have to pay capital gains when you sell them even as a UK resident.
    SLeesy likes this.

I wasn't planning on investing in the UK .....

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post

K2
    Giving you advice on where to invest Stu is just too broad an ask ... (and your commission sucks) ... really this is one for professional advisor(s) to tailor to your requirements.
    Its My Life .....!

Cheers K2 !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Giving you advice on where to invest Stu is just too broad an ask ... (and your commission sucks) ... really this is one for professional advisor(s) to tailor to your requirements.