Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By K2
  • 1 Post By Evilbaz

Thread: Need a Thai bank account before I get back there.

Need a Thai bank account before I get back there.

Hey all
    Here's my situation. I have a Thai wife and she has a Thai bank account but it's accessible by being physically present only. Now she wants to add me to it and I also want a separate account for savings. The problem is we won't be back in Thailand for another year and we want to make good use of the currency situation right now.
    In simple terms how do we buy baht and get it in a Thai account ASAP ?
    Before the baht recovers.

Most Thai bank now offer internet banking. Could you get the wife to upgrade the account to include this and then transfer funds into it ?

Just a note if you transfer funds send your own currency and have it converted to baht in country as you get a much better exchange rate.

Do u think the upgrade can be done without going to the bank ?

K2
    Your wife should be able to do the upgrade but you will not be added to the account until your able to sign in person at the bank. If your wife has a very good relationship with someone senior there then possibly they might accept notorised passport and marriage certificate etc but I think its unlikely.
    okdilligaf1 likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

Why the need to upgrade? You should be able to transfer money to most if not all accounts. Of course, if you want to be able to check the account to make sure the money is deposited, you will need access in person or through the internet. As soupdragon says, transfer in your own currency.

My experiences is, very very little can be done without going into the bank..

Opening accounts, getting net banking, its going to need a very pushy and confident wife.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    My experiences is, very very little can be done without going into the bank..

Opening accounts, getting net banking, its going to need a very pushy and confident wife.
    She is both 555

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Why the need to upgrade? You should be able to transfer money to most if not all accounts. Of course, if you want to be able to check the account to make sure the money is deposited, you will need access in person or through the internet. As soupdragon says, transfer in your own currency.
    Want to be able to check balance and transfer out if needed

When I first opened internet banking at Kbank it wasn't done at the branch - it was done by mail to BKK.
    A separate process to opening the branch account, which had to be done in person.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 6th January 2014 at 08:48.
    okdilligaf1 likes this.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.