Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Interesting article on Issan boom

  1. #1
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,625

  2. #2
    Senior Member Loop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    375
    Interesting story.

    I spend a fair a bit of time out that way and even some local villages well further east from Udon are booming with more and more farangs turning up as well as a thriving rubber tree industry.
    The little town 25 k`s away from us that has the closest 7/11 is now getting a tesco lotus express as well.They are popping up all over the region now.
    The main street is almost impossible to get a parking spot. The little restaurant where farangs gather has doubled in size and business seems to be thriving compared to even 2 years ago in the whole commercial centre of this tiny Isaan town.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    57
    But still many years behind even the basic standard of living.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Footymadstreams View Post
    But still many years behind even the basic standard of living.
    Whose standard of living are you referring to? Having lived / live in isaan myself ive witnessed a huge change the last 10 years. I dont see too many people struggling or not achieving the new minimum wage

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    57
    Ive lived in that region for a few years mainly Surin,Prasat and visited many areas towards the cambodian border,i say their standing of living isnt anywere near those in say Phuket or any other tourist place in Thailand

    And many do not get the minimum wage infact several places have closed down because of the minimum wage

  6. #6
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Whose standard of living are you referring to? Having lived / live in isaan myself ive witnessed a huge change the last 10 years. I dont see too many people struggling or not achieving the new minimum wage
    Not having your building deteriorate every few months due to general dirt, grunge, hassle..

    Not having swarms of bugs descend and clog up shit..

    Not having idiot neighbors have BBQ's and set fire to your stuff..

    etc etc etc..

    Basically the reasons why you dont live up there mate

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    57

    • The Surin Chamber of Commerce has reported that two factories have already closed in the northeastern province with more likely to follow suit due to the new 300-baht daily minimum wage.

      Chamber chairman Kriangsak Palikupt said that many businesses were still confused about reports that the government plans to cover 60% of the labour cost hike. The daily minimum pay rate has been raised from 226 to 300 baht in the province, an increase of 74 baht or 32.7%

      The government needs to impose price controls on consumer products for the workers to fully benefit from the higher wages, Mr Kriangsak added. He expressed concern that if consumer costs are allowed to increase, most people would be affected.





  8. #8
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    Youre referring to our standard of living not a Thai. My standard of living is on a different planet to your average standard of living of a thai

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Not having your building deteriorate every few months due to general dirt, grunge, hassle..

    Not having swarms of bugs descend and clog up shit..

    Not having idiot neighbors have BBQ's and set fire to your stuff..

    etc etc etc..

    Basically the reasons why you dont live up there mate

    I Concur

    But it was a experience i suppose

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Youre referring to our standard of living not a Thai. My standard of living is on a different planet to your average standard of living of a thai
    No i refer to the standard of living ive seen in villages for example Phnom Dong Rak against basically any town in Thailand

    Poverty and levels of poor sanitation like you may never have seen.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Footymadstreams View Post
    No i refer to the standard of living ive seen in villages for example Phnom Dong Rak against basically any town in Thailand

    Poverty and levels of poor sanitation like you may never have seen.
    Ok im referring to what ive seen too I lived in a village for 8 years ive seen a huge improvement across the board

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    57
    Maybe so but there are still very high levels of poverty in the North East

  13. #13
    Senior Member kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Footymadstreams View Post
    Maybe so but there are still very high levels of poverty in the North East
    I disagree, that's way too broad a generalisation!

    My family's home is on par with many Western homes, actually larger & better fitted than many NZ & Australian rural houses. Especially after I fitted a hot shower in 'our' second bathroom!

    Poverty? Not much that I can see ... except for the dero's who choose a life of booze and begging. At least they have family to care for them, provide a modicum of shelter and food unlike many city bums in the West who come out the bush to scavenge from park bins. [Australia's indigenous among the worst examples]

    No, not poverty ... the less well off, live off the land or from family. Mind you, I have seen a few baan's in Yasothon, Don Kaen Yai springs to mind, where I'd never choose to live. But all in all, Isaan people have a rich and wholesome life.

    @ Marc26 ... that article is BS, full of pro-Government propaganda.
    Cheers, Rob.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    But all in all, Isaan people have a rich and wholesome life.
    hmmm... Not sure I would agree..

    16% technically retarded by western measures (iodine deficiency ??) with a sub 70 IQ as per a study about a decade ago.. Always behind so much of the country in investment, education, earning potential, health, etc..

    At a wild guess I bet they have lower average lifespans also ??

    Its not an easy life being poor there is my guess.

  15. #15
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Seeing big parts of Buriram and Roi-Et's countrysides my feeling is that for every decent house there is at least 50 shacks that don't fulfill any western standards at all.
    They are poor, living for today, low educated and have no desire to do anything to improve their situation. Sad but true.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    hmmm... Not sure I would agree..

    16% technically retarded by western measures (iodine deficiency ??) with a sub 70 IQ as per a study about a decade ago.. Always behind so much of the country in investment, education, earning potential, health, etc..

    At a wild guess I bet they have lower average lifespans also ??

    Its not an easy life being poor there is my guess.
    That's an interesting stat ( I like a good stat ), where does the definition of retarded fall? If I'm reading that correctly, sub 70, then what would an average IQ look like?

  17. #17
    Senior Member kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    hmmm... Not sure I would agree..

    16% technically retarded by western measures (iodine deficiency ??) with a sub 70 IQ as per a study about a decade ago.. Always behind so much of the country in investment, education, earning potential, health, etc..

    At a wild guess I bet they have lower average lifespans also ??

    Its not an easy life being poor there is my guess.
    2 things I'd point out with regard to your statement above, Sefton; one is that its a 10 year old study ... a lot has changed in 10 years. Secondly ... perhaps more relevant, is that THOSE who remain living in Isaan (during such a survey) are predominantly elderly or very young - the mid-demographic sector being either at Uni or working in Bangkok and Central region factories. ~50 to 80 y/o Isaan farmers don't have much more than primary education but they know how to grow crops and care for livestock.

    Cheap health care is widely available and inexpensive yet I found within my own family a reluctance to go to the local clinic. Partly because its 7km's away and also because of 'snake-oil' salesmen who prey on Isaan villagers selling over-priced 'Intra' juice (Pear juice & vitamins), Chlorophyl (wheat grass) concentrates and other miracle cures. I weaned my folks off the 1200 Bt a bottle crap pretty easily with 50 Bt Chaaba fruit juices.
    Geespot likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

  18. #18
    Senior Member kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Seeing big parts of Buriram and Roi-Et's countrysides my feeling is that for every decent house there is at least 50 shacks that don't fulfill any western standards at all.
    They are poor, living for today, low educated and have no desire to do anything to improve their situation. Sad but true.
    Poor by YOUR standards Geir.

    I would have agreed with you 2 years ago but then I went and lived in the baan for ~ 3 months ... was quite a shock at first but I learned a lot. Funnily enough those 'shacks' are much cooler than a house. Many farmers have such a shack on their property and often stay there, a./ because it's cooler than their house in the baan, & b./ for security; watching over crops ...Buriram lemons are like gold!
    Cheers, Rob.

  19. #19
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    I've been up there enough to see what is going on. In my mrs village it's 3 decent houses, the rest is shacks. About 500 people is living there and on my last visit there was only 3 cars. A lot of young people showed up expecting free drinks, and when I asked why they wasn't working they said they helped on the farms (ricefields). Young fit people walking around in dirty old clothes just waiting for something to happen......I asked why they don't go to BKK to make some money....All I got back was "ohh, we don't like Bagkok".
    Their parents wasn't to happy about it, but didn't kick them out.
    As long as they get food on the table, a bit of LaoKao and some jaba every now and then they seem to be happy. The few people that actually went to work somewhere are getting asked for money all the time.
    Sorry, but what I've seen up there gain no respect from me..... That said my Mrs close family are nice people taking care of them selves.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,157
    I was quite surprised by living standards in the Roi Et region. It was a couple of years ago now... but it reminded me of rural NZ as a kid... not too bad at all. Though many people might think rural NZ is pretty impoverished I guess... Lots of animals running around the gardens.... made me feel at home. Though I only spent time in a few villages and Roi Et City itself. So I could have just struck lucky with a not so bad-off area...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •