Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Website builders

Website builders

Not sure if this is the right section, but I am wondering if we have any website builders here?

If not, do we have anyone that knows of a decent one?

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Not sure if this is the right section, but I am wondering if we have any website builders here?

If not, do we have anyone that knows of a decent one?
    I code my own websites but today it is quite easy to make a website even if you cannot code. For instance using Wordpress. Unless you have special needs, then you should easily be able to make a website with Wordpress.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    I code my own websites but today it is quite easy to make a website even if you cannot code. For instance using Wordpress. Unless you have special needs, then you should easily be able to make a website with Wordpress.
    Agreed, any sort of CMS (content management system - Wordpress, Joomla, Weebly etc) will allow even the average web user to create content, but nothing complex. Anything where you have specific bespoke functionality then yes, you may need a coder on top of a potential webpage.

Also one thing worth noting, most coders alone won't give you something graphically fantastic. I find you need both someone with artistic talent (frontend) as well as a coder (backend) if you're looking for a complete end-to-end *quality* website. So completely depends on your needs on what functionality you want from the website. I'd never hire a 'coder' to just do a CMS or flash-y website - there isn't any code involved.

Edit: as an example (people here may find this relevant anyway) I made this site:

http://www.patong.bar/maps/list/soi/bangla

I couldn't give a rat's ass about the artistic quality of it, it's a standard framework and layout. The positioning of the bars though is all dynamic and database driven because I'm adding extra functionality to it (not finished yet which is why I haven't mentioned the site anywhere yet). I'd be first to admit I don't have an artistic bone in my body, but as far as coding goes, I can pretty much do anything I want.
    Last edited by NeedHoliday; 31st October 2014 at 12:41. Reason: example.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post

Edit: as an example (people here may find this relevant anyway) I made this site:

Soi Bangla Bar Map - Phuket Patong Bar Information
    I hope it's alright to take this thread off topic to add (or change names of) bars on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    I hope it's alright to take this thread off topic to add (or change names of) bars on the map.
    Maybe just PM me to avoid clutter, I hope there's not that much that's changed over the last few weeks!!! Still need to add a few too, haven't got around to it yet.

Sure. Will do.

If your looking to contract out a pro job.. I have a reputable reliable crowd in the UK..

Everything from simple pages (tho e-lance or other sites would I am sure be cheaper) to full web apps and highly secure financial apps. For the heavy lifting stuff they have coder teams who work cost effectively. Not indian price but much better results and communication.

I'm looking to build a basic info site for a scoot rental biz, with a reservation system... I'd prefer something better than just "email here for reservation", as it may lead to us reserving bikes for someone who doesnt show/changes their mind. I'd rather have something that at least charges the customers an initial fee of some sort ($50?), then we could work out the rest once they showed up. That said, if the price difference between doing that and not is huge, I guess we could just go with the "email us for reservation" thing... I just feel it will occasionally lead to us wasting effort/time.

You would then need to be able to accept payments. If you want to do it by credit card, it will probably be too expensive for a business like that. You could ask for payment using Paypal, but many people does not use that.

The e-mail way is the easiest and cheapest.

I don't know if there is a reservation module for Wordpress, but I would be surprised if there isn't.
    LivinLOS likes this.

I'm looking to build a basic info site for a scoot rental biz, with a reservation system... I'd prefer something better than just "email here for reservation", as it may lead to us reserving bikes for someone who doesnt show/changes their mind. I'd rather have something that at least charges the customers an initial fee of some sort ($50?), then we could work out the rest once they showed up. That said, if the price difference between doing that and not is huge, I guess we could just go with the "email us for reservation" thing... I just feel it will occasionally lead to us wasting effort/time.
    Your talking a very simple site.. But one which requires payment processing which is a whole can of worms for small scale stuff.. Payment delays, disputes, fees for this also.. etc etc..

Really paypal kinda works for this but its less than elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Your talking a very simple site.. But one which requires payment processing which is a whole can of worms for small scale stuff.. Payment delays, disputes, fees for this also.. etc etc..

Really paypal kinda works for this but its less than elegant.
    PayPal is very easy to integrate, but can be a royal pain like LoS says - disputes, especially if they change their mind, would be a nightmare. PP commission isn't THAT bad, but still, I don't think I'd bother. Is there an advantage to someone reserving, to justify a down payment, and the hassle on your end dealing with it?

A step up from email reservation could be an inventory style system that counts and displays to users how many of each scooter are currently free, so people know what is available and what isn't, or what is in short supply etc. That'd be a simple coding task for most coders. I'd also potentially think about tying into Facebook, as I bet people are less likely to fuck around with you if its connected to their Facebook (sure it's not bulletproof, but for the ease in doing it, and the benefit of tying it to a real person, it's likely worth it).

The advantage I like in getting something reserved is that they are now actually commited, whereas with just an email they can easily go elsewhere once they're on the ground.

We wont be catering to short stay tourists. We're looking more at digital nomads, new english teachers, people who are going to stay a few months at least. As such, if they tell us they want something for 3 or 4 months, even if we didnt have something we may think about buying something to meet their need. That's why I like them commiting to it financially... at least something. But if it's going to be too much of a problem, I can drop the idea.

So how much money am I looking at in cost? Say if we just did the "email me" for reservation?

Anyone got any ideas? I've been told elsewhere it should run roughly $500.

Seems high - how many pages are you talking about? Bear in mind, do you think you could do it yourself with like Wordpress, Joomla, Weebly etc? Most CMS are just drag and drop and WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get - simple editor for like font styles, colours, placements etc).

Does that include the hosting costs and domain name? Include update costs? Or they making it so you can update etc?

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Seems high - how many pages are you talking about? Bear in mind, do you think you could do it yourself with like Wordpress, Joomla, Weebly etc? Most CMS are just drag and drop and WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get - simple editor for like font styles, colours, placements etc).

Does that include the hosting costs and domain name? Include update costs? Or they making it so you can update etc?
    I dont have any firm offers... just other folks telling me "it should cost about $500 if it's fairly simple"... I dont have time to do it myself as I work 12 hours a day here in Iraq.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to where to get this done, I'd be most appreciative.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to where to get this done, I'd be most appreciative.
    *crickets*

*crickets*
    E-Lance would be cheapest for something simple. You can name the price and see who bites. Still, price usually depends on number of pages so I can't comment on prices unless you have an idea, and you need to have some idea about that since almost all will ask for it. Also don't expect most web designers to write the actual page content, they don't know your business - so be prepared (as with most companies) to provide the actual content (pictures, page text), whilst they build the layout and design around it.

PM Briofoz - he does web pages and has a very successful motorbike hire and tour business (consultant that is - Cgh!)
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Too bad I haven't finished my VLAD system yet. (Velly Lapid Application Development 555...) Should be able to crank out exactly those types of web applications in a matter of hours, with mobile support even. End of 2015 perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast