Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By PadMC
  • 6 Post By TLandHim
  • 2 Post By WarProfiteer
  • 1 Post By Minder

Thread: Where's the smart place to hold your dosh?

Where's the smart place to hold your dosh?

I have recently sold an investment house and have a lazy few hundred thousand AUD to put away. At the moment its sitting in Westpac getting 3.81% honeymoon period of 3 months on call. I will need to use some for CGT in around May 2016.

I am thinking unit trust with a reasonable risk. I am not smart on money market stuff, and don't necessarily need income from it, I would just like it to grow at a reasonable rate.

Diversify, sure. Shares, which ones? Tax havens, poor returns?

I'll help you Bro.
    I'll bet on consistency in Phuket Immigration 555!
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Have you got access to a financial advisor Bri? The money guys on here are probably loathe to offer advice for personal large amounts. Depends how much risk you want to take...

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Have you got access to a financial advisor Bri? The money guys on here are probably loathe to offer advice for personal large amounts. Depends how much risk you want to take...
    Talk to that other Nick.

Blow a bit of it I say... Or are you planning to die a rich man?
    SLeesy likes this.

A very personal thing investment
    I personally do not trust anyone.

If a financial advisor really knew the secret to making money , why would they be stupid enough to share it with you?

I get bank managers and others offering services and advice all the time and I always ask the same question. How much are you worth? What do you own? They hedge and fudge but never really answer and rarely call me back.

Residential property is the best long term investment in my opinion but it is a lot of work, but very little risk done properly.

Having lost small amounts on shares I realised you can never get the necessary up to date information needed to make money. It is just a gamble and I am not a gambler

Entrusting someone else with my assets would likely be fatal. To them that is, if they lost it or stole it. There are a lot of incompetent and dishonest people about.

Good luck but be wary
    Dkdude, Steve@thaib, K2 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    A very personal thing investment
    I personally do not trust anyone.

If a financial advisor really knew the secret to making money , why would they be stupid enough to share it with you?

I get bank managers and others offering services and advice all the time and I always ask the same question. How much are you worth? What do you own? They hedge and fudge but never really answer and rarely call me back.

Residential property is the best long term investment in my opinion but it is a lot of work, but very little risk done properly.

Having lost small amounts on shares I realised you can never get the necessary up to date information needed to make money. It is just a gamble and I am not a gambler

Entrusting someone else with my assets would likely be fatal. To them that is, if they lost it or stole it. There are a lot of incompetent and dishonest people about.

Good luck but be wary
    I work with financial advisors and i know a bunch that make a lot of money for their clients
    I was just with my good friend yesterday that made his clients a boatload of money this last 18months(I was fortunately one of them)

But I don't know how the average Joe can find the right advisor, actually.
    Even the guys I know.....a lot of their clients are friends and family

Just send me details of the total amount, complete account details, including passwords, pin #s etc and I'll look after it for ya mate ! = wink, wink 555

Just poking through this site and it has a number of horror stories.

TheRapeOfHongKong.com | A Blog Dedicated to Exposing the Swindlers and Seeking Justice for the Victims of Insurance-Linked Investment Scams

No one is going to be acting for your benefit when you hand them your money.

The good thing about living now is the information is available about these scams
    and people can share information and expose these crooks & shysters

Hard to go wrong with hookers and blow.

Otherwise, my advice (which is worth all the baht you paid for it) is to invest in index funds with money you dont need to get by on. Place your bet and forget it. Go long term, dont try to "time" investments as there are very few people on the planet who can really do that... and as has been pointed out already, if they could they wouldnt be advertising it.

I have a degree in this shit and I just go with index funds, with diversification in metals and rental bike fleets, haha... I also have a few houses that I keep as rentals.

That's the best I got...
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 21st December 2014 at 21:58.
    Stillearly and BroTiger like this.

I didn't know what an indexed fund was, but now do. Seems good advice. I am selling my houses, sick of Property Managers and crap tenents.

I did have some in managed funds that performed crap over the years.

Remember that index funds dont require much thought or management, so the yearly fees should be nearly nothing.

The managed fund I have deductions for at work (T Rowe Price, I think) charges a 1.25% annual managemnt fee. My two Vangard index funds (VTSAX and VTIAX) charge only .15% and .17% respectively. One is based on the S&P 500, the other a mix of international markets.

I haven't seen good performance from the international markets for a few years. In addition to the S&P 500, I'd recommend a modest position in a bond index fund, plus some mid and high cap funds, just to spread things around.

^Agreed w/ above, the intl fund for me is just a means of diversification... I dont honestly expect much performance out of it, but I'm not comfotable basing all my investments on the US.

Just a thought - have you looked at joining a Super Fund and investing the max allowed in there?
    15% tax may be less than the CGT rate - accountant's advice may be useful.
    This one used to be gangbusters ...

While MTAA Super is the national industry-based superannuation fund for the motor trades and allied industries, anyone can join, including self-employed people, spouses and the general public. For more information ...

Agree with the indexing recommendations in general, however, with the 2016 time horizon Bri stated, not sure equities are the way to go. You really need more of a long term mindset with the stock mixes people are talking about.

That said, I index with the classic three fund portfolio. 20% Total Bond Market, 20% intl, 60% broadly diversified US stocks.

I leave the stock picking to Nok 55555. Which right now is OIL, and GOOGL. But not much...

Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    I have recently sold an investment house ....
    No need to answer but I am curious about this - why sell now?

I'd have thought you already had money in a smart place with a reasonable (long term) growth rate - aka in an investment property.

Sure, I've got sick of some tenants and even sicker with a property manager or two over the years but I can't see any where better to put my money here in Oz for the level of risk involved (plus tax benefits, negative gearing etc).

Enjoy...
    TLandHim likes this.

New User
    I doubt you'll take much advice from a lurker with only one post, but: berkshire hathaway (BRK.B) has been hitting new highs almost everyday and is up 27% since I bought some back in May.
    They keep buying up profitable companies.
    Works for me anyway.
    Good luck.