Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Evilbaz

Thread: Welcome Changes To NHS Rules

Welcome Changes To NHS Rules

The NHS bill for treating tourists, estimated to be up to 200m, will also be tackled as part of reforms being outlined by the Health Secretary on Wednesday.
    Ex-pats, who currently face paying for care if they live permanently overseas, are set to be given guaranteed access to free NHS healthcare, but only once they have paid 10 years of national insurance contributions.
    The changes are part of a government wide push to cut down on abuse of British services but doctors warned they feared being turned into a "form of immigration control".
    Mr Hunt will launch a consultation on introducing a tracking system that would mean a patient's NHS number is linked to their immigration status.
    Plans to charge for GP services for people not eligible for free care are also being considered.
    It comes after Prime Minister David Cameron said earlier this year that immigrants cannot expect "something for nothing" in the UK.
    The new Immigration Bill, introduced during the Queen's speech in May, outlined plans for incomers' accessing NHS services to make a contribution to the cost of their care, either with their own money or through their government.
    Mr Hunt said: "No one expects health workers to become immigration guards and we want to work alongside doctors to bring about improvements, but I'm clear we must all work together to protect the NHS from costly abuse.
    "We want a system that is fair for the British taxpayer by ensuring that foreign nationals pay for their NHS treatment.
    "By looking at the scale of the problem and at where and how improvements can be made we will help ensure the NHS remains sustainable

I'm guessing this is the UK health system and the UK Health Secretary?
    So I'm not quite sure what the point is here in this pastie?

In OZ you can receive, as an Expat, Medicare (basic with waiting lists) once in country, but any OZ private health insurance, nor Medicare, will not cover you for overseas events.
    That's what travel insurance is for.

In Thailand a minute few Falangs live here permanently as Expats.

The rest of us report every 90 days and renew/extend visas every year - so are NOT permanent residents.

It's tuff ...
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 3rd July 2013 at 16:00.

The point is this,at the moment if you have left uk for more than 6 months you lose your right to nhs free health care,even if you had paid all your stamps for your working life.

The new amendment says

Ex-pats, who currently face paying for care if they live permanently overseas, are set to be given guaranteed access to free NHS healthcare, but only once they have paid 10 years of national insurance contributions.
    -------------------------------------------------

Soa person whos now retired abroad will be able to return to uk for treatment if required,quite a big issue id say
    Last edited by Footymadstreams; 3rd July 2013 at 19:22.

Heh Footy why did you bother to explain the obvious????
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Possibly because not everyone here on this international forum understands how fckedup the NHs has become?

If I land back in OZ, Immigration automatically validates my Medicare rights - no matter how long I've lived overseas.

So the UK is giving everything to "refugees" (economic or otherwise) and at the same time denying "fully paid up citizens" their healthcare rights?
    If so = that is f'kdup.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 3rd July 2013 at 21:58.
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Footymadstreams View Post
    The point is this,at the moment if you have left uk for more than 6 months you lose your right to nhs free health care,even if you had paid all your stamps for your working life.
    Is that right? I was totally unaware of that.

The focus of that at the moment is to stop tourists andillegal immigrants claiming free NHS treatment; has to be a good thing.

Yes that is right,but will be changed under the new rules

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Well i try to help people and many brits dont even know about the 6 month rule,and the aussie posters may have little or no knowledge of the nhs,i was just answering his query really

Its still good news for expats in Thailand,lets hope they look at pension increases also.