A young woman accused in the largest methamphetamine seizure in Cambodian history stood trial at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday, retracting her initial admission of guilt and pinning the blame on her former lover.
Phal Rany, 24, was one of four suspects—including two Chinese nationals—charged over a June 2015 drug bust that netted nearly 55 kg of meth and heroin. On the stand on Wednesday, she said she had falsely implicated herself and her boyfriend Ly Soeu, 43, in revenge for his having an affair, and that neither of them were involved with the drugs.
Chinese nationals Ly Yong, left, and Deng Yuan Ping, leave the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday. (Siv Channa/The Cambodia Daily) “This case does not involve Ly Soeu,” Ms. Rany said. “I don’t know about the drugs.”
“When I previously accused him, it was because I was angry at him for contacting another girl,” she said, explaining that the relationship later became sexual.

The couple and the two Chinese men—Deng Yuan Ping, 53, and Ly Yong, 43—stand accused of smuggling 38 kg

More...