A CPP spokesman has threatened legal action against Prince Sisowath Thomico, a prominent member of the opposition CNRP, after he referred to the government as a “beast regime.”
The warning against the prince comes a day after Hong Lim, a Cambodian-Australian politician in Victoria, was barred from entering the country after he also referred to the CPP government as a “beast.”
Prince Sisowath Thomico makes an offering at Phnom Penh’s Wat Phnom during a hunger strike in September 2013. (Siv Channa/The Cambodia Daily)“I clearly say: I respect the King but I absolutely oppose the beast regime led by the CPP!” the prince wrote in a post to his Facebook page on Wednesday.
In an interview published online by Cambodia Express News on Thursday, CPP spokesman Chhim Phal Virun labeled the prince a “political pawn” and warned he could face legal action for his comments.
“For us, the Cambodian people, we protect the dignity of the nation and we do not give value to a person like Sisowath Thomico because when this person touches on political affairs he is just a political pawn,” the spokesman was quoted as saying.
“Anyone who has insulted the leaders of the CPP, insulted leaders of the government, these people have to face the law. It’s our procedure and our lawyers are reviewing the law and the facts to file a complaint against this person,” he continued.
Contacted by telephone, Mr. Phal Virun said he would not comment unless a reporter guaranteed that every word in his response would be used in the resulting article.
Prince Thomico said he was not intimidated by the threat.
“I’m not reacting to his comments. I will respond when a warrant has been issued by the court,” the prince said.
“It is their business what they do. I have a stance that I am a public person and I have the right to express my opinion on the leaders of the country,” he said. “I am not concerned and I am afraid of nothing.”
narim@cambodiadaily.com
© 2016, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.
The post CPP Threatens Prince Thomico Over ‘Beast’ Post on Facebook appeared first on The Cambodia Daily.

More...