A man accused of fatally stabbing a female Defense Ministry official on the streets of Phnom Penh asked a judge on Friday to downgrade the charge against him as he was mentally ill and had watched too many violent movies.
“I know I was wrong to have killed her, but it was unintentional. Please, I ask the court to reduce the penalty,” pleaded the defendant, Mey Kimheng, at his trial for premediated murder at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.
Ly Davy, 36, a major in the ministry’s military service department, was walking alone near the Depot Market in Tuol Kok district in June when a helmeted man stabbed her repeatedly in the chest with a kitchen knife and drove off on a motorbike.
Mr. Kimheng, a 21-year-old freshman at the Royal University of Phnom Penh and the victim’s next-door neighbor, confessed to the attack, claiming to have taken revenge for years of being spat at, according to police.
In September, Mr. Kimheng was assessed by a doctor from the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital and was found to be suffering from memory loss, said his lawyer, Kim Veasna.
“My client had a mental illness,” Mr. Veasna argued at trial. “My client killed because he had watched too many violent movies.”
The lawyer also asked for a reduction in the $100,000 compensation demanded by the victim’s family.
Premeditated murder carries a sentence of life in prison, while murder is punishable by 10 to 15 years in prison. The verdict is expected to be announced on December 21.
odom@cambodiadaily.com
© 2016, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.
The post Alleged Killer Blames Actions on Violent Movies appeared first on The Cambodia Daily.

More...