Seventeen adults and 42 children from a village in Battambang province were hospitalized with suspected poisoning on Tuesday after possibly drinking contaminated water, a police official said on Wednesday.
The 59 patients, all from Kroper Tbong village in Banan district’s Phnom Sampov commune, were treated for vomiting and stomach pain at a local health center, said Mey Chhengly, the commune police chief.
“The weather was really hot.
Maybe they drank unboiled water, making them [ill],” he said.
As of on Wednesday, all 59 patients had been discharged from the health center, he said, adding that they were all expected to make a full recovery.
Mr. Chhengly said the high temperature, which he estimated to be about 39 or 40 degrees Celsius, was made worse by the village being situated behind a mountain, which blocks wind and thus exacerbates the heat.
Mr. Chhengly also said the area had seen heavy rainfall over the previous few days, reflecting a nationwide phenomenon that has led to record low temperatures and rainfall in the run-up to Khmer New Year.
soumy@cambodiadaily.com
© 2017, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.
The post Dirty Drinking Water Suspected as 59 Hospitalized appeared first on The Cambodia Daily.


More...