Transparency International Cambodia on Thursday released its estimate of the popular vote secured by the ruling CPP and opposition CNRP in the June 4 commune elections, coming in slightly below preliminary results from the countryís national election authority.
Using a method called sample-based observation, which extrapolated from the results observed at 411 polling stations across the country, Transparency International estimated the CPPís share of the vote at 49.4
percent and the CNRPís at 43.2
percent, with a margin of error of 1.5 percent and 1.4 percent respectively.
The National Election Committee (NEC) is to release official results by June 25, but its preliminary figures put the CPP at 51 percent and the CNRP at 44 percent.
At a news conference in Phnom Penh, Transparency International Cambodia director Preap Kol said his groupís estimates gave him confidence in the national electrion bodyís figures.
ďAs a citizen, as a voter myself, when I see this figure, I feel the number released by the NEC…is acceptable, something I can trust and I can respect,Ē he said.
Transparency International earlier released its preliminary report on the electoral process, which found no serious irregularities on Election Day.
soumy@cambodiadaily.com
© 2017, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.
The post NECís Results Trustworthy, Watchdog Finds appeared first on The Cambodia Daily.

More...