The relatives of a 25-year-old Ratanakkiri woman married to an abusive husband in China have filed a complaint with rights group Adhoc seeking help in her repatriation, Adhoc and the family said Wednesday.
The victim, Chhan Nary, had been in China for almost four months be-fore telephoning her sister, Chhan Navy, in January and requesting help as her Chinese husband abused her physically and sexually.
Ms. Navy said that her sister left home in Bakeo district’s Keh Chung commune in October, and that the family had not heard from her until receiving a phone call last month.
“I received her call, and first she just cried and she said she was being confined and beaten by her husband,” Ms. Nary said, adding that her sister did not know where exactly she was in China as she spoke neither Chinese nor English.
In the following days, Ms. Navy and Ms. Nary spoke on the phone repeatedly, usually in secret, as Ms. Nary was worried that her abusive husband would find out.
“She asked me to rescue her because her Chinese husband just beats her, forces her to have sexual intercourse even when she’s ill, and she is always locked in a room,” Ms. Navy said.
According to the complaint, a human trafficker identified only as El had lured Ms. Nary to China. Soon afterward, he sold Ms. Nary to a Chinese man, allegedly for $15,000.
In recent days, Ms. Navy has been unable to reach her sister on the Chinese mobile phone number she had previously used.
Concerned for her older sister, Ms. Navy and her family on Tuesday filed a complaint with Adhoc.
“I am really concerned about her safety and I want the government and NGOs to help her come back home,” Ms. Navy said.
Chhay Thy, provincial coordinator for Adhoc, said that this was the first case of bride trafficking to China in his province, and that he had filed a complaint with the provincial court prosecutor.
“The majority of villagers in remote areas do not get information about trafficking issues, which makes them vulnerable to human trafficking,” he said.
Reports of the trafficking of Cambodian women to China have been more frequent recently. Some are trafficked to marry Chinese men, while others are taken to work in brothels.
On Sunday, police arrested five people—including two Chinese men— at Phnom Penh International Airport for attempting to traffic two women to China to work as prostitutes.
© 2014, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

More...