Two children were killed in Battambang province’s Bavel district on Friday when a mortar shell they were playing with exploded, police said Sunday.
The boy, Roeun Rith, and girl, Hun Narin, both aged 7, had uncovered the buried mortar shell in Khnach Romeas commune and died immediately when it detonated, Mey Kimsan, Bavel district penal police chief said.
“The victims’ bodies were completely charred,” he added.
He said children often played in the area, which had been planned for development several years earlier but then left vacant.
“We are trying to discover where the mortar came from,” Mr. Kimsan said.
In a separate incident in Pailin province, a farmer was injured in an anti-tank mine blast in Sala Krao district on Friday, according to O’Andoung commune chief.
“Chum Sokly, 29, had been plowing his field at about 10:30 a.m. on Friday when he hit an anti-tank mine,” Heung Khloeu, commune chief, said.
“The shrapnel injured him on the back of his neck and hand,” Mr. Khloeu said, adding that the farmer had been taken to the provincial hospital for treatment.
Keo Pou, Pailin coordinator for the Cambodian Mine Action Center (CMAC), said after he heard about the incident he had sent a team to check the area where the accident occurred.
“Our officials found five pieces of unexploded ordnance (UXO) there,” he said.
So far this year eight people have been injured by UXOs in the province, he added.
Twenty-two people were killed by landmines and UXO last year and 111 injured, according to figures by CMAC.
Since the fall of the Khmer Rouge in 1979, mines and UXO have killed more than 19,000 Cambodians and injured about 45,000.
© 2014, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

More...