The Siem Reap Provincial Court last week acquitted Dutch national Sebastien Reuyl, who was arrested in December and charged with committing indecent acts against two young boys aged 6 and 9.
It was not the first time Sebastien Reuyl has been charged with sexually abusing children.
In 2004, he was convicted of sexually abusing a 12-year-old boy in the Netherlands and, in 2011, was charged with committing indecent acts against four boys and one girl between the ages of 7 and 13 in Siem Reap province. Sebastien Reuyl was acquitted of those charges in 2012.
Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), an anti-pedophilia group, said Sunday that they were outraged over Sebastien Reuyl’s release on Thursday, noting that the investigating judge had cited lack of evidence as the reason for the acquittal.
“How can it be that this man can continue walking freely in Cambodia,” said Yi Moden, APLE deputy director of field operations. “He is a convicted child sex offender.”
Chuon Sopheakboth, Siem Reap provincial court clerk, confirmed that Sebastien Reuyl had been released and declined to comment further.
© 2014, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

More...