Thread: Cambodia court orders arrest of opposition leader Sam Rainsy

Cambodia court orders arrest of opposition leader Sam Rainsy

savages.savages.savages.savages. would have posted one word but got prompted for more.

Just makes me feel sad that such entire populations are held to such poor governance.

There should be much greater moral outrage worldwide at this kind of issue.. Everyone can change a facebook icon for 100 something dead.. But how many 1000s die early each year because of slave labor conditions and lifestyles of the deeply poor.

Part of me is shy of the colonial mindset, the white mans burden, kinda of thing.. But how much better would the country be if, by force if necessary, some global body like the UN couldn't just steam in and say ok, screw this miss management, this is how courts work, this is how parliament works, this is how you effectively control and tax.. To jail the corrupt powerful, confiscate the assets and gains, and wipe out the bad in a single decade.. Then gradually pass it back to a new generation raised on those social rules.

I dont pretend there are not real problems, but by far the biggest problems are made by the powerbase holding on. For such a wonderful place, with so much potential, its just a huge shame.

The UN / UNTAC pulled out too early.. They should have had the stomach to see the job through.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Just makes me feel sad that such entire populations are held to such poor governance.

There should be much greater moral outrage worldwide at this kind of issue.. Everyone can change a facebook icon for 100 something dead.. But how many 1000s die early each year because of slave labor conditions and lifestyles of the deeply poor.

Part of me is shy of the colonial mindset, the white mans burden, kinda of thing.. But how much better would the country be if, by force if necessary, some global body like the UN couldn't just steam in and say ok, screw this miss management, this is how courts work, this is how parliament works, this is how you effectively control and tax.. To jail the corrupt powerful, confiscate the assets and gains, and wipe out the bad in a single decade.. Then gradually pass it back to a new generation raised on those social rules.

I dont pretend there are not real problems, but by far the biggest problems are made by the powerbase holding on. For such a wonderful place, with so much potential, its just a huge shame.

The UN / UNTAC pulled out too early.. They should have had the stomach to see the job through.
    Maybe they need a Thai-style coup... by a dictator though who isn't connected to any elite... though that is probably wishful thinking.... I can't see an outsider like the UN being able to do it?