Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WarProfiteer

Thread: Walkabout has gone.. Walkabout !!

Walkabout has gone.. Walkabout !!

Goodbye to Phnom Penh?s ?sleaziest bar?, Post Weekend, Phnom Penh Post

Perhaps the barís most consistent attraction was its Joker Draw tournament: a 53-card deck was set up; patrons bought in for a ticket to flip a card; each week, one was turned over. Small winnings corresponded to aces and queens, but if someone picked the joker, they won the pot. In 2010, the contest reached a near-impossible 53rd week, leaving nearly $25,000 up for grabs
    I remember that pot being talked about even long after.. A huge sum in cambo, and so many girls clutching a ticket..

sorry to see such an institution go I guess...but I was never a fan of that joint...I'd go in to take someone who really wanted to see it...but it was a bit like going to a rough house Aussie outback pub to me...except it was all concrete and wall to wall with (mostly) Viet Hookers who were colder than the beer being served up...555

I much preferred Suzy Wongs, across the road and down a bit...

Yeah it was divey to the max, not somewhere I frequented but clearly an institution (in all senses of the word) of a time in PPs past.

Yeah, I've been following it over on PA's Cambo section... I always described it as "The Star Wars Bar"... I liked it only for that reason. Never took anyone out of there, but I have been there many, many times just to people watch. It was an institution.
    LivinLOS likes this.

I'll be back in PP in early June... not sure where the afternoon FL's will hang around these days, but I'm sure my friends there will tell me.

There's always the 24 hour bars around 130/136... I did some exploration and write up about those when I was there last August.

Wow, typing that (August) I just realized I went nearly a year without hitting PP... all because the she-wok seriously (not angrily, just earnestly) sat me down after that trip in August and asked me point blank if I was keeping a mia noi there. haha. Decided I should cool it after that, so I went elsewhere on my visa runs.

Another one bites the dust; those institutions you sort of expect them to last forever. I remember the girl ploughing through the beer garden in an SUV, I think it was Walkabout at least. And I did find the coldest of cold girls in there so hearing what Nels says completely. Never thought she might have been Vietnamese though.

Star Wars Bar says it all really. Cold women, shady characters, looked like it had been chiselled from concrete. Brilliant really.

Big Mike Hsu owner of Sharky Bar dies....

Cambodia Forums ? View topic - RIP Big Mike Hsu

Changes in the Capital.... Big Mike though a proponent of live music wasnt a businessman. Packo who bought my shares got rid of the staff (theft) and is trying to revive it to its former glory. Quite a feat in the current environment. I wish him luck. Meanwhile with Walkabout closed, I dont have a good place to park my motorbike. I miss the walk back to the bike for last chance grabs. Now I dont get that far south on the street. Oscar 51 which closed could have filled a void but the timing was off. Now that space is a open Khmer food court. Oscar has take over Colonial bar that was above his original place on street 104 next to Air Force Bar. He has support from the live music scene and has had some good nights there. For June, The hostess bars have plenty of talent disproportional to the clientele and Sorya Mall and Pontoon is somewhat bleak. That being said, there is plenty of hungry talent around town.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCA2 View Post
    ... That being said, there is plenty of hungry talent around town.
    Sounds like another PP trip is overdue

Quote Originally Posted by JimCA2 View Post
    Oscar 51 which closed could have filled a void but the timing was off.
    Wait, Oscars on 104 is closed?

I was just there, but due to BS I didnt get to make it over to 104 for a night. Was staying on 136, as usual. It was a very quick trip in & out. Sucks though because I didnt have a night out on 104.