Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Least livable ??

  1. #1
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153

    Least livable ??

    Phnom Penh is one of the least-livable cities in the world, but has also seen relatively strong improvement in quality of life over the past five years, the Economist Intelligence Unit’s annual Global Livability Ranking released this month has found. The analysis of 140 cities, which considers factors of stability, health care, culture and environment, education and infrastructure, ranked the capital the world’s 126th most livable metropolis. With a score of 51.4 out of a possible 100, Phnom Penh fared somewhat better than last-place finishers Damascus and Dhaka, but also trailed far behind top-ranked Mel*bourne, Vienna and Vancouver.
    Strange as it feels very human and livable to me..

    Stable, and infrastructure of course.. But it's tree lined streets, good eateries and bars.. Livable yes, similar to Dhaka ?? That's harsh !!

    Tho maybe I would like Dhaka ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    I was close to move there when I sold out in Patong.............Prices and papers of the bars stopped me back then. Loved the place.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    yeah...apart from the political situation atm I would say its very liveable for an expat...(not so much to be a poor street urchin)...it would be on my list if it had a good beach...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Healthcare, education and infrastructure are factors that Cambodia generally would fare really poorly in. They can't have included a lot of African cities though.

    I guess if you look around Asia at capital cities ( Rangoon not counting ) only Pyongyang and Dhaka would be worse for 'liveabaility' in those terms. Maybe 'liveability' is very different depending on which view is taken, local or expat.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,158
    Do you have to be a mongerer to enjoy it there though? My non-mongering mate spent a few days in PP and he said it was one of the most creepiest places on Earth... a horrible "vibe" he said.... but then he didn't think much to Sukhumvit Rd either.... 555. Though he loves SE Asia generally... So... I wonder if most of us look at some places differently to most... because of our "interests"?
    Last edited by Waharoa; 1st September 2013 at 16:40.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Do you have to be a mongerer to enjoy it there though? My non-mongering mate spent a few days in PP and he said it was one of the most creepiest places on Earth... a horrible "vibe" he said.... but then he didn't think much to Sukhumvit Rd either.... 555. Though he loves SE Asia generally... So... I wonder if most of us look at some places differently to most... because of our "interests"?
    No I don't think so at all.. Some of its highlights are for me the non mongering stuff.. Nice bars, nice eateries, cafe scene..

    You do need to be able to see the very very poor and not freak out tho.. Lots of homeless and a low opportunity for many people there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Loop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Do you have to be a mongerer to enjoy it there though? My non-mongering mate spent a few days in PP and he said it was one of the most creepiest places on Earth... a horrible "vibe" he said.... but then he didn't think much to Sukhumvit Rd either.... 555. Though he loves SE Asia generally... So... I wonder if most of us look at some places differently to most... because of our "interests"?
    I don`t like the vibe there and the death and torture places creep me out....two visits enough for me.

    Been a few years since i was there though.
    Last edited by Loop; 1st September 2013 at 21:24.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,158
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    No I don't think so at all.. Some of its highlights are for me the non mongering stuff.. Nice bars, nice eateries, cafe scene..

    You do need to be able to see the very very poor and not freak out tho.. Lots of homeless and a low opportunity for many people there.
    It wasn't the poor that freaked him. It was the non Cambo people there that he said gave it a creepy vibe he said. I was just wondering if we gloss over that as mongering tourists because we are used to it to a degree....

  9. #9
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    It wasn't the poor that freaked him. It was the non Cambo people there that he said gave it a creepy vibe he said. I was just wondering if we gloss over that as mongering tourists because we are used to it to a degree....
    i don't get this....the vast majority of non Cambodians in PP are working there...many in NGOs and the corporate world.....and the main tourist demograhic is more the younger "traveller" type rather than mongers..even in the bars most of the patrons are pretty varied and mostly well enough presented

    No doubt there is an unseemly underbelly but its not really noticeable on the street...too much of a police and NGO presence for that....there was a huge clean up maybe 5 years ago which basically took most of the street action out of business and BGs indoors....but sometimes I wonder if some people just see what they have heard before they arrive...the same as they do in LOS

  10. #10
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,158
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    i don't get this....the vast majority of non Cambodians in PP are working there...many in NGOs and the corporate world.....and the main tourist demograhic is more the younger "traveller" type rather than mongers..even in the bars most of the patrons are pretty varied and mostly well enough presented

    No doubt there is an unseemly underbelly but its not really noticeable on the street...too much of a police and NGO presence for that....there was a huge clean up maybe 5 years ago which basically took most of the street action out of business and BGs indoors....but sometimes I wonder if some people just see what they have heard before they arrive...the same as they do in LOS
    I'll grill him more when I next see him. And make up my own mind when I go. I just found it interesting as he is a well travelled guy. Loved Vietnam and Laos... and Thailand, especially Koh Samui! Just thought it interesting what he had to say... as the only other person I have heard talk about a "vibe" in PP was WP in one of his threads... so just wondered how prevalent it was...

  11. #11
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Do you have to be a mongerer to enjoy it there though? My non-mongering mate spent a few days in PP and he said it was one of the most creepiest places on Earth... a horrible "vibe" he said.... but then he didn't think much to Sukhumvit Rd either.... 555. Though he loves SE Asia generally... So... I wonder if most of us look at some places differently to most... because of our "interests"?
    but Wahora makes a good point
    i remember the latest TR from PP and thinking to myself, man we do go to some shit holes for pussy!
    that is not a dig at p4p or anything
    but maybe the p4p does introduce a lot of us to these settings and then you realize there is a vibe to it
    i mean look at soil area, that is just an absolute shit hole street but people just love it

    i remember my travel buddy Jim's 1st night in Bangkok, he was pretty appalled. but then he got into p4p, kind of got used to being in those surroundings
    he no longer p4p's anymore but enjoys being in these type of places

    so i do think p4p introduces people to these settings
    and on another note, i don't think half the people involved in p4p would choose to hang out on a street like soil or sit in some small little bar without p4p

  12. #12
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    ^ soil area?...i think that must be long gone...I have been visiting regularly for 6-7 years and never heard of it...actually longer but not really hitting up the mongering scene before that

    I usually spend 4-5 nights in PP each visit....go to the bars maybe twice...hit a club or two afterwards....they are all inside now by law...so not even really that noticeable on the street...inside the bars there is no nudity whatsoever and not even any dancing on the bar (this is slightly flaunted by some)..I'd say parts of Samui are more openly P4P than the bar areas of PP these days

    the rest of the time i am enjoying a small riverside cafe, a nice open french influenced bar with world travellers (non P4P) walking along the river front, wandering through the palace, visiting Wat Phnom or one of the markets, dining in very nice well priced restaurants or kicking back in a decent value for money hotel

    as I said in an earlier post....the place has really had a clean broom put through the P4P areas in the last 5 years making it pretty vanilla compared to a Patts, Bangla, Nana Plaza, Cowboy or Patpong....but that doesn't mean there aren't criminals out there offering up services for the sickos....that exists everywhere in the red light districts of the world

  13. #13
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,629
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ soil area?...i think that must be long gone...I have been visiting regularly for 6-7 years and never heard of it...actually longer but not really hitting up the mongering scene before that

    d
    i meant soi 4 area in BKK
    just taken as a regular street, it is a dump
    but once introduced to it through p4p, it has a certain vibe/atmosphere. like going to the zoo 555
    Waharoa likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    I could live here... not forever, but a year would be easy.

  15. #15
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,629
    Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I could live here... not forever, but a year would be easy.
    to me, livability would me you could live there for a long time
    you could probably find the positive about anything for a year

  16. #16
    Senior Member dontpanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,823
    I think PP has huge potential although reading that the current premier wants to stay in power for as long as he likes is worrying. I was very impressed with the standard of some of the cafes in particular. Although I did hit the p4p bars in PP I didn't in Siem Reap and had a pretty good time there too. I also found the p4p scene in PP to be a lot more laid back, less seedy and less pressure than Bangkok so therefore more enjoyable. Yes there are a lot more beggars in particular child beggars but you are in the 3rd world and it is a poor country so you've just got to accept that this is the way the world is and there's not a hell of a lot you can do to change it unfortunately.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •