Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My short Jaunt to Phnom Penh

My short Jaunt to Phnom Penh

Not sure which section to put this in, this, or Board Members on Tour. The fact that I am no longer on tour, I opted for this one.

Fisrt day flew from Phuket to Don Muang via Nok Air, which was okay. We, I went with a buddy, had a couple of hours until the Air Asia flight to PP.
    Another easy flight and flew right through immigration in about 10 minutes. Booked a hotel taxi to Monsoon where we stayed (California 2 was booked), on St 136, directly across the street from Firebar.

It is a nice little hotel with a very unique design to the rooms. I elected to get a room in the back side because I was told that the street side can be quite noisy.
    The bed was very comfortable (a big plus for me). The negative was the room had only a sliding glass door opening to the hallway, and no other window.
    The room had all the amenities that I require: room safe, nice bathroom, clean, comfortable bed, pleasing to the eye. Too bad I only got to try it for one night, but I'll get to that.
    We decided to start the early evening with a beer or two at California 2, and say hello to Jim. Always a great place to eat or have a few, with excellent staff.
    We noticed that Jim was there with another fellow eating a pizza that looked very good. He told us that he got it right next door at Limoncello. I couldn't resist, so we went, had a nice bottle of wine and a pizza. The wine was great at 10 or 12 bucks and the pizza was exactly the way I like it. We were destined to eat another meal at this excellent restaurant and I can't recommend it highly enough.

After fueling up we decided to visit Firebar. Really a great little bar with an excellent selection....of drinks also. Amey was very welcoming, I had met her before.
    After a few beers with the girls, it was time for me to call it a night (I am NOT a late night guy). Don't remember what my bill was, but it wasn't much. Beers a buck and half of two bucks and lady drinks were three.
    More later.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    More later.
    Is it later yet?
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Okay. Was woken up the second day by a jackhammer going on in the building before 7.30. When I checked with reception, they said it would be another few WEEKS. They were good enough to let us checkout without any penalty, which was well received. By the way, breakfast was included, but it wasn't all that good.

We decided to try the Pillar Hotel on 102, right near Cali 2. They were about the nicest rooms for the price, $40, that I've seen. The Deluxe Room was quite large with two balconies overlooking the street with windows making up two walls of the room. Very nice. However, the room lacked certain touches that left me scratching my head. In the shower area, there was no soap or anywhere to put it. (I pay attention to such things). Had to actually walk back and forth from the shower to the sink area to find a place for any shower articles, unless you used the floor.
    Another thing that needs improvement are the drapes. They are sheer white with no lining, so in the morning as soon as the sun comes up, there is no way one can sleep.
    Again the rooms are terrific and with a few tweaks, this could be a really nice hotel experience.
    No real ambiance in the lobby either, but the staff was quite nice.

That night we went to Armands Bistro. Food was as advertized here: excellent.

After a terrific dinner, we had a drink or two at Cali 2, and then the rains came. After the rains we tried to get to Firebar and just made it, but that street was completely flooded.

We had a few there, then hit a few different bars on 104. Air Force, Zanzibar and a couple of others all were great fun, if I remember correctly. Really a good evening, but I wanted to go to Pontoon, but didn't make it.

I stopped into that hotel once to check it out... I just felt that at the $40 level, there were better choices (namely, Golden House).

What did you think about AF & Zanzi?

wow
    that Pillar looks real nice

Pillar Hotel

Pizza next door.jpg
    Pizza from Limoncello. You wont get this if you order off the menu. They take special orders and they will deliver it next door if you prefer to watch NFL. All I ask is that you order a beer to wash it down. The guy made his own brick oven and he is Italian. Good neighbor to have as me and my staff get an occasional slice.

IMG_1022.jpgIMG_0887.jpgIMG_0908.jpgIMG_0917.jpg a few from Air Force. Was with some friends on a run recently. Watch out for the titty tequilas as they racked up a hefty bill.
    Stillearly likes this.

tittie tequilas..geee...I wonder what that involves

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I stopped into that hotel once to check it out... I just felt that at the $40 level, there were better choices (namely, Golden House).

What did you think about AF & Zanzi?
    A whole lot of talent in both of those spots. Air Force, about 20-30, and the majority were very nice. Zanzibar was a bit smaller but just about equal talent wise.
    Had a few that were in the 9+ territory.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    wow
    that Pillar looks real nice

Pillar Hotel
    The pillar's room pictures don't do it justice; especially the rooms with the balconies on both sides. I think high season rate is 50 for those, but 40 this time of the year.
    Another thing that was a bit irksome, was the stairs to the rooms: one step would be 8 inches and next one may be 6 inches....so you had to pay attention if you were a bit inebriated.

The stairs were also pretty narrow, IIRC... at least Jims are nice & wide and just straight up. The ones at Pillar wind a little, I think...

The downside about balconies is they generally bring in the street noise. As I'm not a smoker, I dont generally want a balcony. Maybe in a nicer place with a good view, but overall it's not something I care for...

^yes, the stairs were VERY narrow and winding and steep. I don't really care that much about the balconies, not one of my priorities, but it was a nice touch.

^yes, the stairs were VERY narrow and winding and steep. I don't really care that much about the balconies, not one of my priorities, but it was a nice touch.
    i love balconies
    love having a couple beers on them at night

Yeh I'm a balcony fan.

Even better when you can get at least a few stories off street level and the street life is interesting - which it usually always is to a visitor !

The problem with the balcony is: if on an interesting street it is quite noisy.

The problem with the balcony is: if on an interesting street it is quite noisy.
    Yeah, true and not many hotels with 10 stories around.......

We knocked back a room in Patong in May due to it's too close proximity to a busy street and it was only 1 storey up !

When you can get the mix right, it's way better tho !

Quote Originally Posted by JimCA2 View Post
    IMG_1022.jpgIMG_0887.jpgIMG_0908.jpgIMG_0917.jpg a few from Air Force. Was with some friends on a run recently. Watch out for the titty tequilas as they racked up a hefty bill.

The last one in the blue should sue her surgeon - the left nipple is in the wrong place

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    I'm with you and join ya for a beer ;-)

Balconies, or patios, the most important extension to most hotel rooms I book ... certainly on holidays.
    staying in about 3-4 different hotels on my next trip to LOS and all of them have a unique balcony/patio with great views
    as you say, it is something i look for

as for noise, it never really bothers me too much and zero chance of me sleeping past 8am anyways

some of the places i am looking to book, not bad patios!!
    ub2yoo and Bacon like this.

^^^ Wow, where is that?
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

@Monsoon in PP right now. It's ok. Don't seem to get much hot water in the shower unless you let it run for twenty mins.

Got a balcony room and unless you are a really early bedder the noise problem ain't an issue.

Was in AF last night and it was over run by Africans playing their shit music. Ended up in Pontoon (try their Mai Tais).

Going to HoD and Pontoon again tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast