Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By cashpoint

Thread: Hotel recommendations for Sihanoukville

Hotel recommendations for Sihanoukville

Looking for a decent hotel for a four day visit in February.

Need:

Basic but clean.

Decent pool area.

Not too far from the town centre/beach.

<$50/day.

Looked at:

Coolabah

Grand Sihanoukville

Any other recommendations?

Serendipity beach resort..

Upsides
    Brand new (last year),
    Really slick rooms for Sihanoukville.
    Hotel own generator (important in Snooky)
    Lovely pool
    Perfect Ochy location for walking beach and foods plus equinox and monkey pub zone

Downsides
    Probably upper in your price band.. The pool access rooms are just A1, open the door and fall in. IIRC I paid 40 USD ??
    wifi was weak when I stayed but it was 'soft open' and we were one of only perhaps 3 or 4 guests. Cambo superb 3G tho so why bother.
    I didnt have breakfasts so no idea, due to soft open.
    Staff a bit overwhelmed and unhelpful (eg couldnt work the booking computer.. Didnt understand wifi.. Etc etc)

I am going to hope that all my downsides were due to it barely being finished (I think they were still fitting out upstairs) and staff not knowing. The upsides were the quality of room, pool, and location. Its perhaps 10 bucks higher nightly that other options with worse locations and lower quality furnishings.

I will try to remember some other expat recommended ones.

Will run through a few quickly I remember and have used.. I always stay in Ochy for access to everything and Otres daytime visits.

OC boutique hotel.. Clean, bright, pool.. Etc.. Recent revamp so newish look.. Sort of over priced IMO and white on white a bit much.. Would stay again at 40-50 poolside access not the 60 plus.
    OC hotel (sister of above) a step down but the same feeling, just a bit much for the location and fit out. Nothing wrong just meh, better options.

Grand Sihanoukville.. Functional, cheap, basic.. Rooms more tired / cheap than looks online.. Seemed busy for the quality and price.. Fallback option IMO.

White beach.. Clean, nice-ish seaview rooms and a good rate.. But business hotel feeling and forget the pool in the carpark !!.. Value for the room but not a resort feeling.

Aqua.. Very well liked by PP expats.. Seems a 'goto spot' probably because cheap, has a pool, and a service mindset.. Very close to golden lion plaza.. Never stayed as room fitout just looked too basic and I am ok with an extra buck or two for a 3 - 4 star. A phone call might get a really low rate here (20 - 30 ??) depending on how busy it is.

I always come with a car or bike, so parking and access is a requirement.. If I didnt I would love to try the (basic sometimes and backpackery) rooms above the beach between cloud9 and coasters.. Theres a few here, looks like the earliest builds so be aware these may be little more than a shack with a mossie net.. But you would have surf crashing under your balcony, a chill beach bar.. Would be scared to book without viewing the room boots on the ground tho.

Heard Reef recommended as have coolaba.. For both I would be wary of noise and all night drunks in that zone of Ochy.. Plus they just seemed lower quality and nearly the same price as newer slicker places like Serendipity.

Theres probably a few others I know that I cant think of for now. My impression is theres loads of low quality rooms and in low season some will be a steal (20 or less) but in high season they appear to be getting close to much higher quality, recently fitted out, slick high 3 or low 4 star rooms and the price difference to have a nice, new, clean room.. With good wifi, a hotel with generator (the power goes out) and a pool seems like a small extra.

We stayed here a couple of years ago:

Welcome on The Digital Orchidee Guesthouse

Paid $30 ish and it was decent value. Rooms around the pool are a bit noisy if you like to sleep late.

The Serendipity beach resort seems very close to the beach. Is there much noise & music from the local bars etc in the evening/nightime, or is the hotel actually away from the noisy bar area & quiet ? I've now seen the reviews stating that you're not allowed to bring back girls to your room, so will cross this off my list.
    Last edited by jaynewcastle11; 21st November 2013 at 23:06.

Thanks for the info.

I've looked at the SBR before but got put off by lukewarm reviews on TA.

Now looking at the Holiday Villa Nataya.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynewcastle11 View Post
    The Serendipity beach resort seems very close to the beach. Is there much noise & music from the local bars etc in the evening/nightime, or is the hotel actually away from the noisy bar area & quiet ? I've now seen the reviews stating that you're not allowed to bring back girls to your room, so will cross this off my list.

No its a 100m or more back and over the rd from the beach and away from the noisiest of the beach bar zone..

Would send an email about guest policy rather than rely on reviews.. So much changes as a place opens its harder to know. I admit I was checking in as a couple so cant say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    Now looking at the Holiday Villa Nataya.
    IIRC that was being finished last time I was in town.. Looks to be value and location would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    No its a 100m or more back and over the rd from the beach and away from the noisiest of the beach bar zone..

Would send an email about guest policy rather than rely on reviews.. So much changes as a place opens its harder to know. I admit I was checking in as a couple so cant say.
    Thanks for your reply.

I usually stay at beach club resort. Not to far from beach. 5 mins by foot. Pool. Spacious rooms from $39 per night in peak season. Pool. Breakfast buffet but some of the restaurants do breakfast also. 7-11 for ciggy run. Staff are good. Always stay there and will be there in a few weeks.

What's the night life like in Sihanoukville? Would I be correct in assuming Victory Hill has the most vibrant night life? Any experiences and / or recommendations would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Depends what you mean by vibrant.. Victory hill has the most (and thats not saying much) bar girls in a single street..

Ochy used to have only golden lion plaza, but theres a new plaza near the lions roundabout leading into the second rd which we had a pretty good night at.. It was just opening but large and well spaced out and had potential.. I have no idea if thats grown.

Of course you have the backpacker nightlife on both the beach, and in the monkey republic / utopia club zone (selling nitros balloons last visit.. very funny) if your including non P4P..

Slow beach bar vibe over on Otres also.. I love Otres in the daytime, but never hung out at night that side. Seemed to me Otres was rapidly expanding, new road going in, stuff like that... I wouldnt be surprised to hear that theres something more club vibe that side now.

got friends here that stay at the aqua resort, and comparable to beach club. I havent been since 2008, and at that time stayed in the newer wing of the orchidee which was satisfactory.

Depends what you mean by vibrant.. Victory hill has the most (and thats not saying much) bar girls in a single street..

Ochy used to have only golden lion plaza, but theres a new plaza near the lions roundabout leading into the second rd which we had a pretty good night at.. It was just opening but large and well spaced out and had potential.. I have no idea if thats grown.

Of course you have the backpacker nightlife on both the beach, and in the monkey republic / utopia club zone (selling nitros balloons last visit.. very funny) if your including non P4P..

Slow beach bar vibe over on Otres also.. I love Otres in the daytime, but never hung out at night that side. Seemed to me Otres was rapidly expanding, new road going in, stuff like that... I wouldnt be surprised to hear that theres something more club vibe that side now.
    Thanks for your response, it sounds like Victory Hill is the place if P4P night action is what I am looking for. Understand there isn't much there - how does it compare to Phnom Pehn? Also is the beach half decent or would you not bother at all going to snooky for a bit of lazy fun??

I like Sihanoukville.. Ochy beach isnt much but Otres is lovely.. I never had a bad few days there..

I was always with someone there so didnt go for the girl fun.. I would consider bringing someone from PP if your picky.

I like Sihanoukville.. Ochy beach isnt much but Otres is lovely.. I never had a bad few days there..

I was always with someone there so didnt go for the girl fun.. I would consider bringing someone from PP if your picky.
    or have any self respect.....555

I wouldn't really call Snooky a P4P destination....can be slim pickings indeed down there....

Beach quality varies largely with the season...fine now until Songkranish....forget about it during the cyclone season April to November
    Last edited by nelsonone; 3rd January 2014 at 10:43.

I most definitely have my 'take-away' organised however my partner in crime does not, hence why I thought I would start doing some research now prior to arranging anything. The other worry is the mention of the cyclone season as the intended time of when we would be going would fall within that period. I've already been to PP and SR and loved them both and was keen on seeing more of the country... thought snooky would be the next destination and the most interesting after seeing the big 2. Looks like back to the drawing board. Thanks Guys.

Didn't see this thread had been revived.

Finally plumped for the Nataya.

I'm planning to bring my PP lady down to stay for a few days. There won't be a problem at check in?

uploadfromtaptalk1391949742753.jpg

Currently staying at serendipity BR. If there is any doubt about the guest policy this picture should clarify matters.....
    Waharoa and Steve@thaib like this.

Took my trip last week and had no problems at the Nataya.