Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Get your rabies shots before coming over. Garbage strike.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    But doesnt that glorious chaos excite you ??

I dont mean piles of stinking garbage.. I am not defending that.. But I just mean the developing worlds madness. I just get a vibe in the free for all scramble of places like Cambo India Vietnam etc that I dont get in the developed world, a kind of excitement and interest. Go to any 2nd tier city in the UK, anywhere outside of London and its just mundane. I could say the same about most N european cities also, sure theres some architecturally attractive ones, theres some clean ones or ones set in pretty country. But theres so few with that kind of energy. They just feel bland and sanitized.

I really should get my ass over to S America.. Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, etc and see how that mixture, which I am guessing is often halfway between the 2 feels.
    absolutely
    we stayed in Taganga in Colombia, it is a small village type area on the beach, no paved streets, backpackers and Colombian locals all mixed together
    loved the feel of that less structured place
    love the feel of all less structured places

but, if there weren't girls available in some of these places, i guarantee you guys would move on to other spots and wouldn't repeatedly go back to the same country over and over
    or if there was piles of garbage strewn about the place they might give it a miss if they didn't have lovlies cozying up to you at the bar
    i think we had this discussion either here or on TD

i just got a kick out of the Headline, that's all
    kris-one likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCA2 View Post
    Attachment 2626
    Not only the rats.
    Must be on his break from the Royal Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    i think it is pretty safe to say i won't ever see a hotel owner in Paris telling a bunch of willing visitors to make sure they get their shots because of the massive garabage piles on the street or the political protests 555

Marseilles

Marseilles.jpg

Madrid

Madrid.jpg

Naples

Naples.jpg

Shit happens everywhere ! 555555555

But it looks like the situation in Cambodia may be over.

Pay Hike Ends Garbage Strike in Cambodia

Trash piled up for three days in Phnom Penh, Cambodia’s capital, as hundreds of garbage collectors went on strike to demand a pay hike and better working conditions. The strike ended on Wednesday, February 5, when workers agreed to a slight pay hike.

Street cleaners will now get $90 per month and truck drivers will receive $130. In addition, a health care center will be funded by the company. The uniform fee charged against employees will be scrapped too.
    I blame the Canadians ! 55555

Cintri, a subsidiary of the Canadian Firm Cintec, signed a 50-year exclusive contract in 2002 to collect Phnom Penh’s trash.
    Pay Hike Ends Garbage Strike in Cambodia · Global Voices

Trash Collectors Back to Work With Pay Raise
    Last edited by faultytowers; 6th February 2014 at 19:33. Reason: Added link from Cambodia news section.
    JimCA2 likes this.

From 69-73 I lived in Tokyo. My dad was military and going to Thailand during the period was very much the third world experience. The Thais have come a long way since then. I went back in 89 and stayed in the Florida Hotel. I remember it was across from a place I stayed as a kid. I took a walk along the tracks behind the hotel and shot pics of all the people and shantys along the tracks. Now they are all gone, replaced by the Phayathai Station. One thing that always struck me in this region, and unlike the poor in western countries, the poor people bathed and cleaned their clothes and despite the unsanitary conditions, maintained a certain level of hygiene.

signed a 50-year exclusive contract in 2002 to collect Phnom Penh’s trash.
    50 years !!! WOW someone just got a retirement envelope !!

IMG_3991.jpgIMG_3957.jpgIMG_3958.jpgIMG_3970.jpgIMG_3986.jpg

If I was really smart I could have made a banner and advertised "get your shot with da shit". Last night some piles still lingering about around town.
    ub2yoo likes this.

And the drive home revealed why some piles still lingered around town.....

IMG_4022.jpg

Great pics, how that CC is eating beside that is just crazy.
    ub2yoo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    i wonder if their were no hookers if guys would be willing to fly to a place in political turmoil and garbage all over the place

p88sy is a strong pull 555
    I went to Bali for years and only engaged in P4P a couple of times on my last two trips.

Then I discovered LoS and never went back.

So yes, people do go to places like that just for the atmosphere and vibes.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

50 years !!! WOW someone just got a retirement envelope !!
    This was the part that struck me.

Earlier this week, Cintri, which has held the monopoly to collect and dispose of the city’s waste since 2002, said that paying more than $80 per month for trash collectors would ruin the company.

It is ten years since the company’s workers have had a pay rise.

So now its the next night and head to Street 51 and low and behold, my friends with the loader are there.....deja vu.

IMG_4043.jpgIMG_4053.jpgIMG_4056.jpg

The need to find a new tire shop.
    ub2yoo likes this.

Its funny tho.. Because as I think about it.. I get a similar buzz from hong kong, despite it being developed and pretty clean.. But I get none of that feeling from singapore. I can get a weak hit of it from Italian cities, or barcelona for example.

So its not purely about mess and developing country status, its something else. Hard to identify.
    ;
    Exactly the same for me, there are certain places where just being there gives a frisson of excitement; developed countries Milan, Madrid, Buenos Aires,Hong Kong. 3rd world - Yangon, Udon Thani, Chiang Mai, Vientianne. Inbetween - Beijing, Chengdu

Funny you mention Udon.. Been over there twice in the last few weeks and going again in a few days..

Its a small quiet thai town with just a couple of weak bar zones and one 'farang street' a terrible agogo etc.. But every time I have had an absolute ball, fun up for it girls, dragging the whole bar to a club after, waking with a king hell hangover. I have no idea why I seem to have such a good time there when on paper its fairly dull, but I just do.

Quote Originally Posted by t0rn View Post
    ;
    Exactly the same for me, there are certain places where just being there gives a frisson of excitement; developed countries Milan, Madrid, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong.....
    all favourites of mine as well...however being an art + architecture lover I would add in Istanbul, Florence + Venice, Barcelona, NYC, Marrakesh and Mexico City

I am also happy to visit anywhere where the diving is great as well...that's what really drew me to Phuket in the first place....way earlier than P4P was ever in my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Usually when you have a ball somewhere it's because it's either new and exciting and you can be yourself, or you are in love with something or someone ... or all of that together ;-)
    I guess it was just stumbling into the right bar, with fun staff and kicking the party into high gear.. Everything else flowed from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Usually when you have a ball somewhere it's because it's either new and exciting and you can be yourself, or you are in love with something or someone ... or all of that together ;-)
    has anyone been anywhere knew they just didn't care for?
    Kuala Lumpur just didn't do it for me
    i just think such a mishmash of cultures that it doesn't allow an identity to take place
    and also, although i appreciated how nice it was, Singapore did not really jump out at me

but i just love going to new places
    hell i am going to St Louis for 2 days on business next month and I am excited!!

Didn't like Amsterdam at all, very seedy, dodgy full of drug dealers and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Didn't like Amsterdam at all, very seedy, dodgy full of drug dealers and expensive.
    ha.. Some of those were the reasons I liked it

Preferred Den Haag tho.. Used to have a great time in that city.

Nah, Soi 6 with drug dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Nah, Soi 6 with drug dealers.
    You say that like its a bad thing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast