Thread: Cambodia - A traveller's Guide

Cambodia - A traveller's Guide

Getting to Cambodia

Cambodia occupies a corner of Indochina with land borders to Thailand, Vietnam and Laos with some 450km of coastline along the Gulf of Thailand. Key geographical features are the Mekong River and Tonle Sap lake. The Mekong, the 12th longest river in the world, connects China, Myanmar ( Burma ), Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Cambodia by Air

Cambodia has three airports: Phnom Penh, Siam Reap and Preah Sihanouk ( Sihanoukville ). Phnom Penh and Siam Reap currently operate international flights, Preah Sihanouk does not currently ( June 2013 ) operate any flights at all.

More info here: Welcome to Cambodia Airports Website

Direct flights to Siam Reap are currently possible from: Phnom Penh, Pakse, Luang Prabang, Bangkok ( Suvarnabhumi BKK ), Kuala Lumpur, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Singapore, Manila, Seoul, Shanghai with some charters also making the trip.

Direct flights to Phnom Penh are currently possible from: Siam Reap, Pakse, Bangkok ( both Don Muang DMK and Suvarnabhumi BKK ), Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Singapore, Vientiane, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Yangon, Kunming, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Seoul with more airlines opening up the route periodically.

Land Borders

Land border entry into Cambodia is possible from Thailand, Laos and Vietnam.

Thailand:

Aranyaprathet - Poipet ( best access to Siam Reap )
    Hat Lek - Koh Kong ( best access to Sihanoukville)
    Chong Jom - O'Smach
    Chong Sa Ngam - Anlong Veng
    Ban Pakard - Phsar Prom Pailin
    Ban Laem - Daung Lem

Laos:

Voeung Kam - Dom Kralor

Vietnam:

Moc Bai - Svay Rieng
    Ving Xuong - Kaam Samnor
    Tinh Bien - Phnom Den
    Trapeang Phlong, Vietnam - Trapeang Phlong, Cambodia
    Xa Xia - Prek Chak
    Le Tanh - O’Yadaw

Travellers should note that the land border situation is fluid and subject to change; check before you travel.

Visa Information:

Visa on arrival is possible at international airports in Siam Reap and Phnom Penh.

Visa on arrival at border crossings from Vietnam is possible at Moc Bai / Svay Rieng and Ving Xuong - Kaam Samnor. From Thailand visa on arrival is possible at Aranyaprathet - Poipet and Hat Lek - Koh Kong
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 8th June 2013 at 04:46.

Where to Visit in Cambodia:

Siem Reap & Angkor Wat - a photo tour
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 8th June 2013 at 04:44.

Where to Stay In Cambodia

Last edited by Steve@thaib; 8th June 2013 at 22:45.

Last edited by Steve@thaib; 8th June 2013 at 19:07.

Ok, you can see where the thread is going now. Any info that can be contributed is welcome. My Cambodia info is a couple of years old so current info most welcome, particulary on places to eat, hotels and visas.
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 8th June 2013 at 04:07.

Happening nightclub in PP..... Pontoon.

Hi..was wondering...is there a Bus that will take you from Pattaya to Sihanoukville?...and if so..what are the details/logistics etc

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
    Hi..was wondering...is there a Bus that will take you from Pattaya to Sihanoukville?...and if so..what are the details/logistics etc
    There is but I don't have details.. There's also a Bangkok Siem reap and pp option too.. Tho I would fly that given air Asia pricing.

Pattaya to Trat loads of buses, Trat to the border not so easy. Minibuses have a complete monopoly so are really your only option to the border. Pattaya to Koh Chang Bus: the best & cheapest way to get from downtown Pattaya to Ko Chang island

Over the border to Snooky again not too many options. I don't recall seeing buses but there are plenty of taxis waiting for a return trip to Snooky so that may be an option, maybe you could pick up a taxi share.

There is no Pattaya - Snooky simple option I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    There is no Pattaya - Snooky simple option I don't think.
    I am almost certain I remember seeing Pattaya advertised as destination from snooky.. So I would assume the same company does the journey the other way..

No get on one bus and get off at the other end I was meaning. Trat to the border was monopolised by the minibus operators when we came through ( was a couple of years ago though ), there were no taxis and no other options. I think they operate out of Trat bus station so it might be bus to Trat and then minibus to the border, you could well find an operator that does the whole trip but it's likely to be via trat with a change of vehicle.

^ here ya go.....I've used this service to the border/minivan to Trat/then boat to Koh Chang and had no problems

Bus Schedule to Phnom Penh, Kampot, and Koh Kong from Sihanoukville, Cambodia.
    Last edited by nelsonone; 10th June 2013 at 17:57.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
    If there is it would certainly take some time, personally I'd get a taxi to Don Meung(25 euro) and get an Air Asia flight to Phnom Penh for about 50 euro. Easy to find onward land connections from there. If you've got time and want to save some cash get the bell bus to Bangkok from Pattaya.

Guess it boils down to time and inconvenience verses money.

Lots of connections tho.. Patts to sihanoukville is what, less than 600ks ?? So under 6 hours if driving without the border thing..

Versus taxi.. Airport.. Fly.. Taxi..

Shame the cambo border is so tricky with vehicles lately.. You don't want to hear what we went through lately !!

^^ Yeah the land border crossing seems very hit and miss, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. They've sorta got you between a rock and a hard place seeing as you've to switch vehicles. For personal preference I'd fly.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    ^^ Yeah the land border crossing seems very hit and miss, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. They've sorta got you between a rock and a hard place seeing as you've to switch vehicles. For personal preference I'd fly.
    I mean bringing a Thai vehicle over.. Total clusterfuck on the cambo side.. No rules or consistency..