Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: PP Restaurant Review.. The Sushi Hut

PP Restaurant Review.. The Sushi Hut

Well after mentioning that we hadnt found good Sushi, Nels threw out an option that I think we had looked for (without a name or address many months ago) but never visited. So that went into the 'to be checked out list' but last night I really intended to hit the Oyster place. Luckily I insisted we called for a table to hear that yes they had tables, but what they lacked was oysters !!

As we both said we were in the mood for a light bite, rather than a full on large meal.. we skipped some western / frenchie type options I want to review and went looking for this.

The place is The Sushi Hut, on St 302 into the nice enclaves on BKK1.

Google Map
    THE SUSHI BAR | sushi nhat | com sushi

Let me state for the record, the lady who was with me LOVES her sushi, and so its a surprise as a resident here so long she didnt know this place.. First impressions are a nice classy place, outdoor and indoor dining space and a counter eating setup.

It was steamy as all hell yesterday so I figured inside to the aircon, but as soon as we went in it was obvious a HUGE Khmer family had no idea how kids should behave in a classy restaurant at 9:30 at night, 5 or 6 of them were running between tables, shrieking, banging into people and things.. There was napkins and shit all thrown on the floor.. etc etc.. I lasted about 20 seconds before I was ready to have a pop and as I looked around I could see some Japanese also scowling over unhappy. But god forbid Khmer staff would actually say anything to nouveau riche khmers behaving like it was a McDonalds at lunchtime.

Anyway it was going to ruin my meal so I made sure to loudly enough explain to the wait staff that other customers cant be expected to tolerate that when going for 'nice' dining, making sure the family also got enough of an earful, and retreated to the outside tables (where I swear to god this crowd of Spanish or Italian lesbians, chain smoked all night.. Roll ups !! I mean classy.. Women who at 10pm on a saturday night were dressed like it was the beach, smoking rollups !! So ladylike.. At this point I decided I am not cut out for humanity and just tried to ignore everyone but my companion.. Really the world consists of far to many of them, and far to few of me !! )..

Anyway 'other people' aside, this place was good. I have already said that my partner loves sushi, and so its crazy that she did not know of this place, having lived here so long. Also speaking with her friends last night and today they also seem unaware of it despite one just advising me of the best place to get a 130 USD steak !! so its not the cost putting them off !! The menu was varied enough, and we over ordered. I will let the food do the talking.

Sashimi platter (not the grade A one) 5 kinds, theres octopus hiding at the back.

Another Sashimi plate of Salmon and Octopus

Spicy tuna roll.. And this actually was spicy, a good kick and had raw radish in it that added to the zest. This was IIRC only 3.x bucks.

Garlic Mushrooms

by now I had realized we had over ordered, and our 'light snack meal' before drinking was going to be a full on dinner. Just when I was concerned it was too much.. out came.

The Nigiri's pictured above were just A1, I am normally more a Sashimi fan in sushi joints, but these were perfectly executed, rice consistency just right, a little wasabi behind the fish, and a near creamy layer texture that I dont see in the budget type Fuji / Zen type thai chain sushi joints I am used to. I wont just rave about it but it was clearly well done and a cut above what I normally get. It got a big thumbs up from..

The cost for this, with I think 3 glasses of the best house white, and a large import (expensive) novelty sopporo beer (decent actually, crisp and went better with the sushi than the wine) was 70 something so again about <40 a head. But we went a bit overboard ordering, and added octopus and items that may have been a bit extra. I am sure you could come here, with a domestic beer, and an eye on costs from the menu and have a very delicious sushi meal for 20 a head. Given the quality we got I think thats a steal and its by far the best sushi I have had in PP.

Another great place into my rolodex of PP dining.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 20th June 2013 at 17:58.
    Steve@thaib and kaptainrob like this.

I'm not a sushi guy, but it looks brilliant........Looks like a lot happened in PP since I was there 7 years ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Looks like a lot happened in PP since I was there 7 years ago.....
    It really is a place of contrasts.. Its both a total mess, and also shockingly civilized.. You can go from superb wining and dining, and a minute later theres a homeless child begging. It does kind of make your head spin a bit.

glad you liked it...as I said been a while since i was there...but I remembered the food, service and fitout to be up to a good western sushi style place

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    It really is a place of contrasts.. Its both a total mess, and also shockingly civilized.. You can go from superb wining and dining, and a minute later theres a homeless child begging. It does kind of make your head spin a bit.
    which is exactly why I like it so much...that aspect really does remind me of the Thailand of old when i came here as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    The beggars got to me. I've not seen anything like it since Mumbai (Bombay) back in the 60's.
    Not so much the kids as I know they're 'planted', but the wartime vets with grotesque deformity or disability can really put one OFF. Jo felt compassion, me revulsion. Same same on Thai TV News where they show this sort of thing almost daily ... sorry, not for me.
    Cheers, Rob.

It's the kids that get me.. there really is a level of hardship and lack of opportunity for some here that I don't think exists in Thailand these days.. There is work there, people here do go truly hungry.