Thread: Thai Scooter into Cambodia and back into Thailand

Thai Scooter into Cambodia and back into Thailand

My next trip I will go to Koh Chang and from there north to Chiang Mai through Isaan. Is it possible - road wise and law wise - to cut through Cambodia from Koh Chang to Si Sa Ket?

It can be done but expect some dirt and or bad road somewhere along the line....not really the right bike for that sort of thing IMO.

K2
    LivinLOS should soon be able to report on this one! ... hopefully!

Curious too - as from past reading on this - am under the understanding that any vehicle must leave by the same border point it entered.
    Its My Life .....!

I entered on motorbike at Stung Treng (Lao/Cambodia) and exited at Poi Pet (Cambo/TH). This was over a year ago. I have heard border crossing with foreign vehicles to cambodia has been hit and miss lately.
    Im not 100% sure but form what i have gathered i think Poi Pet-Aranyaprathet is still working.

Having done this a bunch.. Its getting much harder.. Some borders impossible..

At all of them now they say you can only cross (if at all.. Poipet told me a flat out no.. No bribes no argueing etc could change it) and must stay in the province you entered.. As they have no system to track anything you can just lie and once in, carry on.. But at Koh Kong they tried to take my Thai temp export Docs, telling me they would give them back when I exitied (which I had to do if I was going out there of course.. As I had just lied to them and said I would) ended up in a real old shouting match to get my papers back.

In short it can be done.. I have just been in and out this last couple of weeks and 2 buddies got 2 pickups in the Otar Mancheay one.. Thats one of the few I havent yet done.. But it can turn ugly, and its dependent on your v their stubbornness sometimes. Thailand has a system, Cambodia just doesnt have any functioning vehicle control solution and its made up on the spot.

Thanks for all the replies. I will take the long way around and skip Cambodia due to the bad roads and especially to avoid problems at the border.