Thread: Phnom Penh Restaurant Review - Sonoma Oyster

Phnom Penh Restaurant Review - Sonoma Oyster

This place has become another spot that I seem to hit every time I go to Phnom Penh, tho this time it took more work than usual.

Sonoma Oyster on 278

Sonoma Oyster House, Phnom Penh, Cambodia - Google Maps
    https://plus.google.com/104928968121...61/about?hl=en

If attempting to get here take a good look at where it is (278 then over the cross rds into the dark area) as many tuktuks dont know it and its a small shophouse a bit out of the 278 'zone'..

Also due to its small size, if your going on a weekend or high season its wise to call and book a table. They only have a couple downstairs and 3 or so upstairs, plus eating at the bar which for oysters or a snack may suit.

Due to knowing its wise to book I called 3 times, each time to be told that sure they could reserve me room for a table but that they were out of oysters.. Which for an Oyster bar is kind of important !! (I also went to a sandwich shop out of bread this trip but hey.. Another story)..

Really if you come here your coming for one main thing.

They have both pacific and 'rock' oysters and surprisingly seem to have a clean all year round supply. A half dozen is from 7 to 9 bucks depending on what style you have..

Theres the usual Asian style with condiments.

Theres a few other raw oyster choices.. This is my main choice, smoked salmon and cream cheese

And here in combination with a lumpfish caviar and grapefruit slice serving also..

They do a full range of cooked oyster dishes.. Morney, killpatrick, rockerfeller, tempura, spiced etc.. We didnt pick any this time so no pics..

Also on the menu are really superb scallops.. At around 10 USD a plate

They only just sear these so really light touch on the cooking.. Superb..

And some BBQ clams, which my buddy had already got his hands into and scooped out some before I could get a pic

They also have a range of mains and meats tho its focus is for sure the shellfish.. They have fish, ribs, lamb and some steaks which range from around 15 to 25 depending on size and 'grade' of US meat. Not bad but not why I come here..

With a couple of surprisingly good bottles of 14 dollar wine, a white and a red.. Came to about 35 USD a head.. Not bad for the quality of shellfish.

those little scallops we call queenies ,mostly catch them isle of man and north wales,big scallops go for 4 a piece here at the moment on the quay

i would love it there at those prices

ha
    stole one of me and Ao's ideas 555

Worth a trip to PP just for oysters I like natural, kilpatrick and beer battered which you don't see often but if fried lightly, come out crisp on outside and still raw in the middle... yummo!

Good thread Sefton ...
    Cheers, Rob.

They do a (IIRC) Cajun spiced which comes out like that.. Some kind of peppery / Tabasco breadcrumb batter, fried but lightly..