Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Somlay Mam fictions exposed.. Again..

The Somlay Mam fictions exposed.. Again..

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/05/30/s...ng-251642.html

Its been known for years shes a lair and a flake.. That large parts of her history are fabrications and same with her rescue stories.

Shame as it tars the whole industry (and thats what it is) with the same brush. -

Gotta be honest... hadnt heard of her until you posted this. Interesting article though... begs the age old question 'does the end justify the means?'

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    begs the age old question 'does the end justify the means?'
    No.. Because for every charlatan, taking the spotlight, theres a genuine worker behind them who doesnt get funded.

Sadly the NGO thing is a business, with its 4000 usd a month villas and its landcruisers with drivers.. It becomes self sustaining and needs to justify itself.
    nelsonone and Dale like this.

As ya might iagine, lots of guys who work for us are former UN funded program guys. The frequent saying is, that whole tree-hugger, for-the-cause shit dies out in the first two years on the ground for any doner-backed NGO. Harsh, but probably true...

She was being hosted at one of my employer's conference centres so I hung around to watch her talk and for the ensuing cocktail party meet and greet, must say i was struck by her beauty and presence. Bought a copy of her signed book and read over the next few days, even during the read I was thinking 'how does someone who was apparently sold into sexual servitude at 14 and practically raped by countless men everyday, all of a sudden fall into the arms of a French gentleman get married, have kids and play happy families just like that. The physical and emotion damage would almost have been irreparable.

Interestingly on FB yesterday the page of a photographer in Phnom Penh that I follow, had shared details of the Newsweek story. I was amused to see Somaly's ex-husband replying to the post with "finally" and "ouf this is serious.....amazing the way she fucked up everything. Am i surprised....even not after 25 years in this contry" and apparently the Spanish government is asking for the money back they gave her

shame about these 'victim pimps' riding the backs of others to heighten their on profile...

The use of her own daughter being particularly awful IMO.

She claims trafficking gangs kidnapped her teenage daughter, gang raped her, video'ed it, sent the video to her.. As punishment for the good work she does.. Her ex-husband confirmed the daughter ran off with her boyfriend for a couple of weeks.

Just pathological.

That is why it is so hard to judge charities you give money to
    If you can.....it is better to volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    If you can.....it is better to volunteer
    But even this.. In Cambodia theres people who want to do 'volunteer holidays' and theres orphanages etc where people can go..

Turns out these are 'fake' orphanages where the local kids end up getting put, separated from their families, to pretend to the do gooders and take the donations and holiday funds.. Mad !!

Cambodia's Booming New Industry: Orphanage Tourism - Forbes

Cambo has some fucked up stuff going on !!

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    But even this.. In Cambodia theres people who want to do 'volunteer holidays' and theres orphanages etc where people can go..

Turns out these are 'fake' orphanages where the local kids end up getting put, separated from their families, to pretend to the do gooders and take the donations and holiday funds.. Mad !!

Cambodia's Booming New Industry: Orphanage Tourism - Forbes

Cambo has some fucked up stuff going on !!
    Even with charities.....You need to do research
    But who would even think of something like that

By the way....something like that backs up my theory that people should be more concerned of voluntering and charity at home....seems everyone wants to donante everywhere but down the street from them

Even with charities.....You need to do research
    But who would even think of something like that

By the way....something like that backs up my theory that people should be more concerned of voluntering and charity at home....seems everyone wants to donante everywhere but down the street from them
    I agree. Plently of needy people in our own backyards. I still like to contribute/help out with causes far away, but we shouldn't do it at the expense of the folks where we live.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    I agree. Plently of needy people in our own backyards. I still like to contribute/help out with causes far away, but we shouldn't do it at the expense of the folks where we live.
    My theory is because they get to feel more like a big shot giving to charity in a "poor" country than to be more of basically an amonymous donor in their own country

My theory is because they get to feel more like a big shot giving to charity in a "poor" country than to be more of basically an amonymous donor in their own country
    Probably true. I just don't understand that at all. I'd much rather be anonymous.

It might be a bit more complicated than that. I think people are minded to give to poor people in poor countries because those people never had a chance. For some ( me included ), it's a struggle to understand why people born in some of the richest countries in the world would end up as charity cases needing help.

A couple of dollars given to a street kid in Phnom Penh might feed them. A couple of quid to a beggar here means another can of Special Brew.

Oh, and a lot of the charities here are really businesses by another name so people are wary of them. Even causes borne of the right impulse, like the Salvation Army or Help for Heroes, have questions to answer. A lot of people are sceptical of 'good causes' at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    It might be a bit more complicated than that. I think people are minded to give to poor people in poor countries because those people never had a chance. For some ( me included ), it's a struggle to understand why people born in some of the richest countries in the world would end up as charity cases needing help.

A couple of dollars given to a street kid in Phnom Penh might feed them. A couple of quid to a beggar here means another can of Special Brew.
    I would agree partially with that.....I never give to beggars in the street
    But there are so many people in our countries that were never given a chance either
    And as this points out.....a lot of the charities overseas are just as bad in not forwarding donations as any other place

There's 2 types of beggars here, well thats being far too simplistic but I mean basically, those who ask for money and rarely those who simply ask for food.
    There's a crew that live on the sidewalk outside of my Guest House here in PP, they cook, eat and sleep there and disappear during the day. I came downstairs the other night and 2 little buggers were hiding behind a sign looking at me, my mate Linc then came out of the Mart with 2 bottles of Soy milk for them, real charity at work....

I would agree partially with that.....I never give to beggars in the street
    But there are so many people in our countries that were never given a chance either
    And as this points out.....a lot of the charities overseas are just as bad in not forwarding donations as any other place
    But surely being born in the US or the UK or plenty of other countries is a chance in itself? Our countries promise us a minimum, a roof over our heads and food on the table, everything else is up to us. Less well off or politically inclusive countries promise their citizens nothing and exploit them at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    But surely being born in the US or the UK or plenty of other countries is a chance in itself? Our countries promise us a minimum, a roof over our heads and food on the table, everything else is up to us. Less well off or politically inclusive countries promise their citizens nothing and exploit them at every opportunity.
    I wouldnt say that
    For the most part, we have greater advantages and in US, i think you can come from anywhere and be successful but at the same time there is still parts of our countries and particular people that never had a chance....They are in the situation because of where or who they were born to

Som nom f*ckin na?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast