Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Cambo - a life changing journey....

Easy way to kill a few hours in the day.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the post Jim, as I truthfully need a gym.
    Yesterday I found The Place, which is a great but expensive gym, not to be confused with where I just watched State of Origin, which was The Gym, but is a sports bar, not a gym, nor a place.
    I know, I know its a confusing place here. Not to be confused with the ......... oh never mind.

Anyway I met The Eagles, the local expat AFL team, an infirior game but still better than dive ball, or wear lost of protection ball, or run around a square ball or whaterver.
    I rate AFL just below The Greatest Game of all, but above dive ball, just.
    These boys play in the inter asia cup, against BKK and Patt's, Laos, HCMC, KL, Jakarta, Bali, Hong Kong, Tokoyo and more. Good hard lads.
    Great bunch of expats who have been here for long time, first bloke I say g'day to is the PP resident sparky, owns a well known electrical company who has the electrical contracting market here in PP, I'd been told about him previously. Next guy I chat to is a gem of a bloke who runs a OH&S solutions company and is an ex cop from Melbourne, really great guy and even though he didn't fully understand the game was enthusiastic and could see and more importantly read the play. From there I met loads more, one has an IT business another was an Embassy official of some sort, a few property developer slash realtor boys, no-one under 10 years on the ground. All had wives and kids and normal lives here.
    I got invited to an expat/footy BBQ on sunday with the boys.

All I need to do now is get an understanding of AFL. 5555
    nelsonone and LivinLOS like this.

Thanks for the post and photos of those pools Jim....next time I am over I plan a longer visit in PP and would be all over a membership at one of those places..will chat ya about it before I come

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Thanks for the post and photos of those pools Jim....next time I am over I plan a longer visit in PP and would be all over a membership at one of those places..will chat ya about it before I come
    If we get booted out of Canada in the next few months it makes sense to set up shop in Ao's hood, just easiest, can consildate to one housing cost and be with her son everyday
    But all the moo bans with pools/clubhouses around there you need a car
    I'd have no problem being in just a regular townhouse in the hood but would need to find a nice club to join for pool/gym use

Thanks for talking the time Dlew....
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Yeah will be interesting hearing your day to day as you settle..

Tho I was curious about which island it was you got out to with the phosphorescence in the water..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah will be interesting hearing your day to day as you settle..

Tho I was curious about which island it was you got out to with the phosphorescence in the water..
    Really?? 55555
    And I raise you a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Isnt that what its called ??

Or would you rather.. Glowey Shit..

^ plenty of phospherescence off Koh Rong (the island we went to just off Snooky on that day trip a few years back now) when the right...or wrong depending upon your view..... weather conditions prevail

It's quite eerie when swimming or in the wake of a boat at nighjt.

marine phosphorescence -- Encyclopedia Britannica
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

That was where I was up to actually.
    The phosphorescent plankton was on Otres also but I never swam at night. I remember seeing it in Koh Samet in 89 also.
    I booked a dive trip from Otres out to Koh Rong, The ferry out was $10 each way, I got 2 dives and the ferry out and back included in the price for $80. They picked me and others up early from Otres and took us to the ferry terminal at Serendipity. The ferry ride took about 1.5 hours.
    The dives weren't much to talk about and I wouldn't bother diving there again. The dive sites were off the coast of Koh Rong Samloem north end. Visibility was very poor and being only around 10 meters deep there were no big fish. The dive boat dropped me back to Koh Rong in the afternoon and I wander to the far end of the beach and found a nice bungalow for $50 a night. Spent the next day swimming and wandered to another undeveloped beach, the beaches were really nice and there are many more on both islands I'll have to get back and see. I swam at night so as to see the phospho plankton, it really is a buzz kicking your feet and seeing the water glow.
    Next day I caught the ferry back Serendipity and got a basic room, no AC for $8 a night.

Otres main road
    Koh Rong bungalow and beach
    Attached Images Attached Images
    nelsonone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ plenty of phospherescence off Koh Rong (the island we went to just off Snooky on that day trip a few years back now) when the right...or wrong depending upon your view..... weather conditions prevail
    No moon is when its best apparently.

Next time I'm staying at these bungalows.

IMG_2379.jpgIMG_2381.jpgIMG_2385.jpgIMG_2383.jpg
    nelsonone and WTF like this.

Expat sports in Cambodia - CNN iReport

A few shots of the AFL Cambodia Eagles. Good fun when there are matches. They play over the Japanese bridge at the Navy base. Angkor Tens Rugby happens in November every year and that is a good day killer also. Hostess bars offer a lot of support.

IMG_1800.jpgIMG_2608.jpg
    nelsonone and dlew like this.

There was a couple of them afl guys in CA2 last June and then following their match the next night they descended en masse to the bar I was in, provided a nice excuse for me to leave a nice cambo chick who was freaking me out a bit by staring at me.

Chicken... 555... YOLO...
    LivinLOS likes this.

I joined the Cambodiana today, $56 for a month and I have access to the pool, gym, steamroom and sauna.
    I did some laps, had a light train in the gym which isn't fantastic but has enough gear to certainly keep me busy, then I went back to the pool for a few hours for another swim and a rest.
    Thanks heaps for the tip Jim, I must pop round and catch up for a beer sometime soon. When are you normally at the bar?

On another note work called today to 'discuss' my return, they have a project in the pipeline for me and wanted to know my 'plans".

After leaving Koh Rong I spent one night in Serendipity before departing back to PP. Room was only $8 which was unbelievable.
    I decided to hit a bar beer complex near the Golden Lions to see if I could find some company as it had been a while.
    I wandered into a bar with about 6 girls in it and played some pool with one who seemed nice enough, we sat in the lounges and chatted for a bit and negotiated a long time stay. Good night was had, morning was nice too...

the flowery knickers look cute on her...but I'm sure they looked better on the floor 555

I liked this shot Dlew.

The guys have finally caught a few fish and the Buddha-botherers turn up for their whack.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by dlew View Post
    I joined the Cambodiana today, $56 for a month and I have access to the pool, gym, steamroom and sauna.
    I did some laps, had a light train in the gym which isn't fantastic but has enough gear to certainly keep me busy, then I went back to the pool for a few hours for another swim and a rest.
    Thanks heaps for the tip Jim, I must pop round and catch up for a beer sometime soon. When are you normally at the bar?
    I really enjoy sauna/steam rooms.. Even in this hot climate.. On Phuket there were some spas I used to go to, but not found anything good in CNX

On another note work called today to 'discuss' my return, they have a project in the pipeline for me and wanted to know my 'plans".
    Sounds ominous !! That pesky work thing !!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast